CF-Cards fast enough for 1920x1080p24/25 5D3 MLraw video

Started by grooveminister, June 23, 2013, 05:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

I hope so! I just ordered 2 of them a few days ago, will post after speed tests.

jimmyD30

KomputerBay 64GB 1066x CF Card. Canon 5D3.123 @ 24fps

l1nkin

Hello everyone,

I've been reading a few comments but I still can't make up my minds.

I'm using a Canon 5D Mark II, and I would love to try the RAW Video (i'm a cameraman & editor).

But to do so, I need to buy a card that is good enough ; I don't think I'd go more than 64g tho, but I'm hesitating with all those brands (Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend..).

I read on some other forums that the Transcend card didn't really manage the full read/write capacity.

So if you were me, which brand should I get? Even if I have to spend some extra money, I don't really mind as long as the card does what I request :P

Thanks for your help guys.

// l1nkin

budafilms

Quote from: l1nkin on August 03, 2014, 10:41:39 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been reading a few comments but I still can't make up my minds.

I'm using a Canon 5D Mark II, and I would love to try the RAW Video (i'm a cameraman & editor).

But to do so, I need to buy a card that is good enough ; I don't think I'd go more than 64g tho, but I'm hesitating with all those brands (Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend..).

I read on some other forums that the Transcend card didn't really manage the full read/write capacity.

So if you were me, which brand should I get? Even if I have to spend some extra money, I don't really mind as long as the card does what I request :P

Thanks for your help guys.

// l1nkin

Computer Bay 1000x 64 GB - amazon 90US

l1nkin

Looks like it's impossible to make it continuously @ 1080p with 5d2 RAW which is a real killer for me, unless it got fixed somehow? ; should i get a 5d3 instead or wait beginning of next year for a 5d4 ? oO

jimmyD30

The 5D2 will never shoot 1080p as its bottleneck is the camera's CF card write speed, but shoots very close to it and can be upresed to 1080p without concern :D

As for 5D3 vs 5D4, well I'm hearing the 5D4 is going to shoot 4K, so probably gonna cost like $4K too :-\ but hopefully will knock down the price of 5D2/5D3 a little :P

l1nkin

Quote from: jimmyD30 on August 03, 2014, 01:20:35 PM
The 5D2 will never shoot 1080p as its bottleneck is the camera's CF card write speed, but shoots very close to it and can be upresed to 1080p without concern :D

As for 5D3 vs 5D4, well I'm hearing the 5D4 is going to shoot 4K, so probably gonna cost like $4K too :-\ but hopefully will knock down the price of 5D2/5D3 a little :P

Ok i guess i'm gonna keep 5D2 for a while :)

So I gotta use the latest nighty build to enable RAW, right ?

magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug02.5D2212.zip

jimmyD30

Not necessarily, but recommended as the nightlies are very stable (certainly not completely or as official release or alpha builds) and have the latest improvements :)

But! Older nightly builds actually have greater horizontal resolution, up to 1888 I believe (1880 for sure) compared to latest of 1846 (I think, I'm on a 5D3 these days, so don't exactly remember, plus could be back to larger now for all I know).

So, yeah, latest nightly should serve you well as long as those few extra lost pixels don't bother you ;)

l1nkin

twoframedissolve

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the informative posts. I just ordered for my 5d m3:

Komputerbay 64GB Professional Compact Flash card 1066X CF write 155MB/s read 160MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW (amazon)

looking forward to playing with this!

RipzRipz

Quote from: soundmaster on July 05, 2014, 11:35:03 PM
I`m using  Sandisk Extreme PRO - 32, 160mb/s
I have 5D markIII
i can shoot without any problems :

1920x1080 RAW video at 24fps
1920x1080 RAW video at 30fps

cheers.

Hey SOUNDMASTER: Can you please do a benchmark on your Sandisk 160Mb/s card and post the result picture here?
Just like the one jimmyD30 did.

I'm strongly considering buying the same card, or maybe the 64Gb version. Please do advise.
Thanks

ibrahim

Quote from: soundmaster on July 05, 2014, 11:35:03 PM
I`m using  Sandisk Extreme PRO - 32, 160mb/s
I have 5D markIII
i can shoot without any problems :

1920x1080 RAW video at 24fps
1920x1080 RAW video at 30fps

cheers.

What is the minimum writing speed a SDXC or CF cards needs to have for 5DMKiii to record continuously at 24fps at 1080p?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Walter Schulz

Is it really that hard to understand that 5d3's SD-card interface is limited to 21 MByte/s write speed?

RAW recording is easy to calculate. Just look at the numbers ML will give you at the bottom line:
Horizontal resolution x vertical resolution x frame rate x 14 / 8 = Byte/s
1920 x 1080 x 24 x 14 / 8 = 87 091 200 Byte/s = 83,1 MByte/s

ibrahim

Thanks Walter. I'm quite new to this so pardon me for seeming confused.

If I've understood it correctly from your calculations and that's mentioned in the previous posts, my sandisk (extreme pro SDXC I 95MB/s class 10), whose writing speed is at max 95 MB/s, should be able to record in RAW continuously at 1920x1080?

Yet what I don't understand is what do the  mean by "
Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 02, 2015, 11:55:34 PM
Is it really that hard to understand that 5d3's SD-card interface is limited to 21 MByte/s write speed?
From my amateurish understanding the calculations and what you're saying contradict one another... therefore, it seems that I'm missing something. Thanks for the clarification.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Walter Schulz

Where is the contradiction? One is bandwidth needed for a specific settting (resolution/frame rate). Another one is bandwidth provided by 5D3's SD-card interface.
One is the condition you need, another one is the condition you are able to use.

And topic is about CF-cards ...

You will have a hard time trying to connect SD-cards into CF-card slots ...
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/infobank/digital_image_file/cfsd-cards.jpg

And don't think about using a SD-to-CF adapter. They are out there but they don't provide fast data transfer rates.

ibrahim

Many thanks Walter. Now I understand the root of my confusion; I didn't take into account that we were in CF card thread. :)

ibrahim

My priority is to record at 24fps continuously and 50fps/60fps for at least 1 minute recording as close as possible to 1080p.

Knowing that the CF interface (on the 5D3) is limited to around 100mb/s (from what I've read), is there any benefit from using 1066x card or is say 1000x enough? I am wondering since some, if not most brands, have writing speeds that exceed 100mb/s.

ibrahim

I am now using 5D3 and have installed the firmware 1.1.3 using sandisk extreme pro CF-card UDMA 7 64GB 160MB/s.
I was able to install the latest nightly build of ML but the speed is the issue. The top speed I can reach is around 23-25MB/s (the same as that of SD-card even though tghe CF slot is used not the SD slot). I am selecting 1080p 24fps.
What am I doing wrong. Isn't CF card slot supposed to support close 100MB/s?

Walter Schulz

If you own a fast cardreader connected to your computer by a fast interface (USB 3.0, ...) you may use tools like Crystaldiskmark and/or ATTO (Windows) to determine card's speed.
If you don't have access to such an interface you may have a look into your card's root. Benchmark will write a file BENCHx.PPM. Convert it to JPEG, upload it somewhere (picload, imgur or else) and link it here.
If you want to repeat benchmark use photo mode with Global Draw off. And just after starting benchmark press Play button to go to playback mode.