Best USM/sharpening filter plugin for MLraw video (radius!)?

Started by grooveminister, June 23, 2013, 10:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grooveminister

Hi all,

before working on MLraw video, I used the MOV files of the 5D2.
In Vegas Pro, the USM/sharpening plugin worked great at the very smallest radius setting 0.001.

With the MLraw files that I´ve converted to Cineform, I´d like to use a better sharpening tool.
In Photoshop I used to use a radius of 0.3 pixels on certain material, and I guess Sony´s smallest setting is more like 1 pixel in PS.

Can anyone recoomend a really good USM/sharpening plugin that runs in Vegas too?
Please let me know!

Best wishes,
Andreas

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

grooveminister

Thank you!
I was using Vegas own USM filter up to now - but in the mean time I found out that the problem was the soft debayering of cineform -422 with standard parameters.
I´ve tried Cineform Studio Premium and when you first convert to Cineform RAW you can edit the metadata of all your Cineform RAW clips with "FirstLight" - fantastic tool!
Everything you change there shows up immediately in your NLE. With debayering set to "CF Advanced Detail 1-3" the Cineform clips do sharpen fantastic or need no additional sharpening.

But I´ll definetely try the decovolution algos! Thank you Luiz Roberto!

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

You're welcome!

Please, note that the RAW files are 14bit and CineForm 4:4:4 codec only supports 10bit, porting, converting something, you will lose a lot of information and will not be able to recover with FirsLight.

grooveminister

Guess I will have to buy CineForm Studio Premium anyway - already found out that debayering etc. only works with CineForm RAW and not 422 or 444.
Does CineForm Studio Free also come with FirstLight?
I guess not - Premium installed over Free so I can´t find out for sure if Free also has First Light included. Guess you have to use the command lines with Free.

FirstLight is a dream workflow. Change Metadata and the clips in Vegas are instantly affected. Everything plays back in realtime and the CineFormRAWs are way smaller than the original MLraw-Files.