24fps or 25fps with Magic Lantern Raw on 5D II

Started by NitromanX, June 21, 2013, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi !

After a bit of general advice really ...

I've just started using ML raw process and it's amazing.

I'm in UK and normally shoot 25fps for PAL. However, with full 1880 x 1058 pixel HD and a fast KomputerBay 64Gb 1000x CF card, I'm hitting limitations on recording times.

The ML raw recording duration is obviously better with 24fps at this resolution.

This makes me tempted to shoot 24fps as opposed to my normal 25fps.

Most of my video is for the web, but if it were to be selected for tv broadcast, would 24 fps be much of a problem in UK or elsewhere ?

Just interested in advice please ... as every second counts at this high resolution raw !  :D

NitromanX

Ah ha ... the latest build 21.6.13 apparently uses a new way of buffering so my card can now give 15secs at 1880 x 1056 in 25fps.

Awesome work Magic Lantern ... Wasn't expecting such an impressive improvement.  ;D

Doyle4

Quote from: NitromanX on June 21, 2013, 10:02:24 AM
Hi !

After a bit of general advice really ...

I've just started using ML raw process and it's amazing.

I'm in UK and normally shoot 25fps for PAL. However, with full 1880 x 1058 pixel HD and a fast KomputerBay 64Gb 1000x CF card, I'm hitting limitations on recording times.

The ML raw recording duration is obviously better with 24fps at this resolution.

This makes me tempted to shoot 24fps as opposed to my normal 25fps.

Most of my video is for the web, but if it were to be selected for tv broadcast, would 24 fps be much of a problem in UK or elsewhere ?

Just interested in advice please ... as every second counts at this high resolution raw !  :D

24p = Movie look

25p = everyday british tv look,

Don't worry if its 24p as UK play movies that are 24p, all depends if you have a tv that outputs true 24p and most TV's do :) iv changed 24p to 25p output before and noticed nothing major, have a play :) and share your results for others too comment.

NitromanX

Thanks Doyle4 ... thb, i can't see any difference  ;D

The latest variable buffer settings give much better recording duration so less of a problem now.

All we now gotta do is get rid of that damn moire ...  ;)