Getting the perfect exposure

Started by MortenSJ, June 20, 2013, 04:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortenSJ

Hi guys

I would like to know how you guys get the exposure you want when recording RAW?

Which picture profile, comes closest to RAW? I often underexpose or overexpose because i have a hard time seeing what i'm getting in the viewfinder. Do you use the zebras in ML?

romainkedochim

Hiya,

Not too sure what difference there is between shooting raw or not in terms of having a good exposure with ML. But there are basic principals you can follow:

1/ expose for your subject: meaning don't loose sight of what really matters in your shot.
2/ look at the histogram: it tells you if your whole scene within the camera's dynamic range or not. If it doesn't fit, you then need to make a choice between clipping the blacks or the highlights.
3/ turn on the clipping features: it'll overlay what's over/underexposed while shooting.

Last thing, when shooting raw you can easily review your exposure after the fact. That's the whole point of shooting raw.
5D MK2 - Lexar 800X 8GB

ade123321

On this subject, I have come across some things that may change my current practice a little.

Sian storm, a pro colorist over at colorghear.com  talks about his zone system of optimum exposure being within + or - 2 stops. A 4 stop range, a lot smaller than we think our cameras have. This is due to the h.264 codec used by dslrs. Anything above or below the 4 stop range is where the inherent problems with h.264 encoding start to appear.

Would love to hear other people opinion on this.!

ade123321

Forgot to add that exposing to the right as a rule would start to push you over optimum exposure.

Raw to a lesser extent I suppose but I think it is still an issue to consider.

Walter Schulz

ETTR is often misinterpreted as overexposure = blown highlights. So do you but it is just not.
ETTR's origined as a tool for still photographers.
Are you talking stills or video?

Ciao, Walter