Problems with Komputerbay 64 GB 1000x.

Started by premini, June 19, 2013, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premini

Hi all,
I installed ML with a my new 5d3 and a Komputerbay 64GB that i bought for the occasion and did very well in benchmarks.
but...
After a totally accidental format in my PC the card is not accesible in the camera, it cannot format it or access it.
The strange thing is that the card works perfectly fine in the computer via the card reader.
I also tested the 5d3  with another old Sandisk 64 mb and works fine,
Is there any test i could perform before returning the card? Should I uninstall ML?
Thanks in advance!
m

mkorho

Quote from: premini on June 19, 2013, 09:20:05 PM
After a totally accidental format in my PC the card is not accesible in the camera, it cannot format it or access it.
So your camera wont start when that card is in, right?
If so, then your card has "bootflag enabled" but no autoexec.bin in the root of the card.

Windows format won't remove bootflag when you format it.
And ML modified camera wont boot if card has bootflag enabled and no autoexec.bin.

premini

Nope, let me explain further...
1. The card i am having problems with is the CF. not the SD. The SD has ML, autoexex and bootflag and is running ok.
2. I am able to use ML only with the SD, recording video and images.
3. the CF card is not being detected, the camera says "Replace it or Remove it" when I insert it and "Cannot Format" when i try to format it.

KMA_WWC

Quote from: premini on June 20, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
Nope, let me explain further...
1. The card i am having problems with is the CF. not the SD. The SD has ML, autoexex and bootflag and is running ok.
2. I am able to use ML only with the SD, recording video and images.
3. the CF card is not being detected, the camera says "Replace it or Remove it" when I insert it and "Cannot Format" when i try to format it.

Try to format it to exfat in your PC and try again.
Canon 5D Mark III

1%

Same card... should be formatted

Fat32 - Old cameras.. 4096 align, 64K sectors.

Exfat - new cameras - 4096 align, 128K sectors

premini

Thanks guys but im afraid that the build that caused the card to not work anymore was precisely an ExFat compiling in the computer.
Another test i did: connected the card reader in my old win xp laptop and it doesnt recognize the card either (either in exfat or fat32). The only way to read the card seems to be via my Windows 7 PC.

premini

The card finally died. Sent it back to Amazon.
I have a lexar 32 gb 1000x now and works flawlessly.
I just saw a nice article of a guy who filmed the "First professional short film to use 5D Mark III Magic Lantern raw" and Komputerbay didnt help him either.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10697/skin-first-professional-short-film-to-use-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern-raw-a-guest-post-by-andrew-wonder?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EOSHD+%28EOSHD.com%29

–We ran into a lot of trouble with CF cards. I had purchased 2x 128gb, 2x 64gb and 2x 32gb KomputerBay cards for the shoot and half of them didn't work for more than a few frames right out of the package. One of the 64gb cards was usable but I found its record speeds to be inconsistent. Between each full minute take we always had a 200ish frame take that would drop a frame and quit. This was consistent with the card.

1%

I had sd cards do something similar tho... sector 0 fails and you can't reformat the card. 2 SD cards now. One got RMA'd the other needs to.

If you open it with HXD the disk label is all garbage letters.

No issues with my komputerbay card yet, written over it several times now.

AnotherDave

Though there experience is useful to everyone... they don't sound like the brightest bunch of folks to shoot the "first professional" short with the raw hack...

Why wouldn't you test your cards before you shot?  How did the transcode the footage?  I have already done a bunch of 5d3 raw transcoding, and it doesn't take my system 4 days...  were they using AE?  that is a stupid workflow.  RAWMagic and Resolve are fast.  Very fast.

I have 6x64gb KB cards, and a big project with the 5D3 next week.  I've tested, and shot with all of them.  So far... so good.

More importantly, though, why did they film this project in RAW anyway?  It doesn't seem as if any of their shots benefited from being in RAW, no real color correction was done (except for the color replacement), and they didn't even know enough to (a) light a scene or (b) ETTR 1 stop to avoid all that nasty digital noise... 

Plus, reading the forum, one knows the 128gb KBs are not good for RAW, neither are the 32gb....

1%

The 32s are bad? I'd figure they would be faster. 64gb cards have 128k clusters by default and we have to change them to 64 because of fat32.

I'd shoot what they shot raw... but 5k ISO, wow? I wouldn't want to shoot above 3200 on 6D/5d3 if I had a choice.

premini

What's the best configuration to format/align a 32gb exfat btw?