Music Video -- 5dMkII -- Raw Alpha Build

Started by worthcomm, June 20, 2013, 12:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worthcomm

Congrats to the team that made RAW possible. The latitude in the picture is unbelievable. Data wrangling is not for the faint of heart but it is possible. Best of all, there were no unsolvable problems in the entire workflow.

Abstrak

Nice shoot! Care to go through your on set workflow ? Man that looks amazing what did render out too?

5D3shooter

Yes, what is your workflow please?  I'm still dialing mine in too

a.d.

Such a beautiful song and voice, I love it.

worthcomm

On-set, the trickiest part was the double system for audio. I am used to having at least a scratch track on the camera so that I can use PluralEyes. For some reason, recording a WAV file along with the images was too much for my cards. THere may have been a solution but I didn't want to risk it so we had to slate each take. I used the slate on the Iphone.

The ML build that I used, Alpha, requires you to reset all of your parameters every time you change cards. I had to make sure all of the settings were the same with each change. We used 2 KomputerBay 64 GB 1000X cards and 2 Lexar 32 GB 1000X (the Lexar I already had -- we bought the 64GB cards for this shoot).

Other than that, on-set work flows were identical to a regular shoot.

In post, the largest challenge I had was that, because of the 4GB limit of FAT formatted cards, I ended up with several shots that were split into .R00, .R01 files and it took me a while to figure out how to combine them -- even though it was explained in several places in the forum. I'm a little thick sometimes.

Beyond that, the post workflow was quite easy, though quite long. It took a couple of hours for Photoshop to process a 10,000 file shot on my MacBookPro Retina.

Using Photoshop's ACR was mind-blowing -- the amount of manipulation possible on any shot is incredible.

This is not a workflow we would use on every shoot but knowing it's there and it's possible to et this type of image is amazing.

worthcomm

Sorry - did not answer the render out question.

We used Raw2Dng to get dogs that we loaded into Photoshop's Camera Raw. From there we spit out tif image sequences. THose were brought into FCP 7 and rendered out as ProRes HQ. Edited in ProRes HQ  with a little more color correction using Magic Bullet Looks.

Abstrak

Quote from: worthcomm on June 20, 2013, 07:42:58 PM
Sorry - did not answer the render out question.

We used Raw2Dng to get dogs that we loaded into Photoshop's Camera Raw. From there we spit out tif image sequences. THose were brought into FCP 7 and rendered out as ProRes HQ. Edited in ProRes HQ  with a little more color correction using Magic Bullet Looks.

Thanks for the details amazing results again. Sounds like you definitely need a workhorse machine to get through the initial DNG process. I'd have no problem taking a few extra days to get these results if there wasn't a quick turn around.