RAW conversion for Davinci Resolve

Started by dirtcastle, June 19, 2013, 06:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtcastle

Currently, what is the best way to import into Resolve?

I am running both OSX and Windows (via Parallels).

Thus far, the best results I can get are using the Prores 422 HQ generated by raw2dng.

Prores 422 is definitely usable (in fact, it's a big improvement over the original H.264). But it would be great to get Cinema DNG or Prores 4444.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I also want to thank everyone for all the hard work and being helpful to noobs like me.

rlasson

I use rawmagic. Then once the CinemaDNG files are in resolve, I change the raw settings for CinemaDNG files to BMD with highlight recovery. Gives a nice flat image and appears to keep all the highlight detail quite well.

artiswar

Quote from: rlasson on June 19, 2013, 07:32:17 AM
I use rawmagic. Then once the CinemaDNG files are in resolve, I change the raw settings for CinemaDNG files to BMD with highlight recovery. Gives a nice flat image and appears to keep all the highlight detail quite well.

This. And the newest RAW Magic understands spanned files. No more terminal muddling.

dirtcastle

I was having problems getting Davinci Resolve to play nice with RAWMagic dngs. So I uninstalled Davinci Resolve and then updated to the latest version. And now it works! :-)

Woot!

iamoui

I've been using the newest RAWMagic beta -> Resolve workflow with the BMD Film and highlight recovery and applying Captain Hook's LUT with my 60D footage and I've been getting fantastic results. Deliver in ProRes 444 or 422 HQ and import the ProRes files in to FCPX for editing.

Hook's LUT - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

flambe

How would one do this on a PC? RawMagic is OSX only, right?

Thanks for any help!

AnotherDave

I prefer BMD Color Space with the Alexa to REC709 LUT.  I have to bring up my shadows a bit, but it looks more true to the eye for me.

chmee

@flambe
.. for PC there is raw2cdng - you find the actual file in the "Cinema DNG Discussion"-Thread. But be aware of Roundtrippin' - as i understand there's nearly no functional way by now.

(roundtrippin' solved by peoplemerge;))

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

dirtcastle

Unfortunately, when I convert images in RAWMagic and bring them into Resolve, I get blue-green abberations/fringing (see example).

Some have speculated that this problem is inherent to the RAW files, and is being automatically corrected by the ACR/LR import process. Whereas Resolve shows the image as it actually is, unadulterated.

Assuming Cinema DNG is too "raw" to bring directly into Resolve, I'm looking for a ProRes workaround.

Ideas?

dirtcastle

I was able to use the following workflow and avoid the aberration/fringing.

1. Import into Premiere using Ginger HDR plugin.
2. Export ProRes 4444 .mov file.
3. Import into Davinci Resolve

I'm seeing a lot more detail and dynamic range. It's definitely noisier, and the noise is colorful. But overall I think I can work with this until I find a reliable Cinema DNG workflow.

Big improvement, right?

CaptainHook

Quote from: iamoui on June 19, 2013, 05:28:03 PM
I've been using the newest RAWMagic beta -> Resolve workflow with the BMD Film and highlight recovery and applying Captain Hook's LUT with my 60D footage and I've been getting fantastic results.

Good to see you finding my LUT useful, just be aware i created it for BMCC footage that generally has a green bias (and my LUT pushes away from that slightly). But the LUT is also NOT mean to be a "neutral" looking and rather appeal to my aesthetics so if it works for you (with i assume some extra adjustments), that's great. :)

I've thought about making one for 5D3/2 RAW footage but haven't really had time.

CaptainHook

Quote from: dirtcastle on June 22, 2013, 01:27:33 AMAssuming Cinema DNG is too "raw" to bring directly into Resolve, I'm looking for a ProRes workaround.

Resolves RAW convertor doesn't seem to do anything to fix chromatic aberration or any other common RAW 'issues' that ACR etc fix.
The same problem shows up with BMCC Raw files and you have to remove the CA yourself in Resolve.

dirtcastle

Quote from: CaptainHook on June 23, 2013, 12:03:44 PM
Resolves RAW convertor doesn't seem to do anything to fix chromatic aberration or any other common RAW 'issues' that ACR etc fix.
The same problem shows up with BMCC Raw files and you have to remove the CA yourself in Resolve.

I'm completely clueless about how to remove CA in Resolve. Any suggestions?

notdabod

Quote from: rlasson on June 19, 2013, 07:32:17 AM

When you bring your cDng's in resolve do you see hot pink highlights?

I only see the hot pink in resolve. So it seems like resolve needs resolving.

I really new to resolve and only have the Lite version. Maybe I need to change some settings in resolve to get rid of the pink?

thanks