Field monitor & remote control the cheap way - ideas

Started by SDX, June 19, 2013, 01:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDX

For the hardware hackers in here.

There has been a lot of talk regarding this stuff the latest days, and I myself have a few thoughts about this after having chatted with some members here.

Solutions are:

- Design a device which plugs into the camera using USB and creates a WiFi AP. Utilizing PTP, get JPEG video from camera and allow the default remote control stuff from a connected tablet (such as exposure settings and even focus for followfocus!). This does however only work when using a tablet or laptop as remote device. Focus peaking, histograms and zebras would be done on the remote device. POP-Prototype (Proof of principle) cost: ~180$, a lot of development time for an App.

- Design a device which plugs into the camera using USB and composite. PTP via USB for settings and focus, composite for video. Transmit via cheap 2.4Ghz transceivers to a remote device. This device would have a tangible UI consisting of dials for the settings as well as a composite output for external screens. This leaves the user to buy a screen, overlays are, however, done on-camera by ML. POP-Prototype cost: ~80$, relatively easy development.

Second idea could also be done with HDMI output, but I'm not quite sure why this should be any better. HDMI is just soooo much more complicated than the composite signal and would blow up the cost significantly.
Same applies to an remote device with build-in screen.

All costs are estimated for me, meaning what it would cost for me to buy it. This varies off course, depending where in the world you are located and what facilities you have access to. Costs include common prototyping components and 3D-print.

Some research for the hungry ones. If you like to dig into 0s and 1s: http://www2.cs.uidaho.edu/~krings/CS420/Notes.S10/420-10-05.pdf
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~elgammal/classes/cs334/slide5.pdf

EDIT: Just did some calculations on datarates. I've got to think more about the solution for idea #1. Currently, I've no idea on how what speed requirements the video from the camera sets to all involved components.

mageye

5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ItsMeLenny

I'd just like to point out that ML UI does not work correctly through composite.
That being one limitation.

Critical Point

Yeah, I've noticed that, the focus peak doesn't work anymore when I attache anything to the camera on the USB port. If for instance I plug in the USB follow focus, then the focus peak doesn't work anymore, instead of dots on the screen, it appears only a red line on the bottom of the screen.
600D & GH2 / PC.

thn-d

I just found a 10 inch device with hdmi in (ca. 132 Euro here in germany):
http://www.amazon.de/Lenco-TFT-1026-tragbarer-Fernseher-DVB-T/dp/B00C72PGSU/ref=pd_cp_ce_1
As it provides a TV tuner: maybe too expensive to fit the "cheap way"?
Canon EOS 1100D   |   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II   |   Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4,0-5,6 IS II

aaphotog

I paid 170 for a nexus 7
Like 7 bucks for a OTG cable
I believe 8 dollars for 'dslr controller' app
Works without issue.
Real time viewing. No long, no stutters
It just works!
Only problem is, since its usb as opposed to hdmi, you don't see what you see on the camer(ie recording raw in crop mode, you won't see the cropped image if you are seeing it on the cams lcd)
Other than that... NO ISSUES!
seems pretty cheap to me.
App has focus peak and controls for the camera(focusing, shutter, iso/f-stop/shutter speed / White balance settings);

guentergunter

Quote from: aaphotog on July 30, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
I paid 170 for a nexus 7
Like 7 bucks for a OTG cable
I believe 8 dollars for 'dslr controller' app
Works without issue.
Real time viewing. No long, no stutters
It just works!
Only problem is, since its usb as opposed to hdmi, you don't see what you see on the camer(ie recording raw in crop mode, you won't see the cropped image if you are seeing it on the cams lcd)
Other than that... NO ISSUES!
seems pretty cheap to me.
App has focus peak and controls for the camera(focusing, shutter, iso/f-stop/shutter speed / White balance settings);
What camera are you using it with?
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

SDX

Solution #1 is actually quite cheap when you consider the RPI as a solution. The RPI goes to the USB port, gets image and sets settings there. The RPI hosts a WiFi AP - tablets and laptops can receive and display the image. This does, of course, also work without the WiFi part, but a WiFi dongle doesn't cost anything, really.

I am currently developing such a system for a remote controlled robot (it's bit a different story, and without a DSLR). But it could potentially be modified to suit the needs here afterwards.

On the other side: a pair of cheap, wireless video transmitter/receiver costs 17$.

I'm more thinking about a off-rig monitoring solution here.

JustBraw

I know this is ongoing problem with tablets and hdmi input, ive been trying to come up with a way for a while now , mainly since i broke my usb connector on cam board :/ :( If i put as much effort into getting it fixed id be up and running again, lol however ive came up with something, and hopeing an intelegent meber will be able to conform or deny this theory,
Ive recently discovered a tablet I bought in a job lot wasnt what i thought , it came as normall 10 inch tablet with usb charger and everything seemed normal, untill i went to charge it, i noticed a port on bottom unlike any other. I took it round countless shops to aquire correct charger all of whom had never seen it and had no clue.  time to start digging, Turns out this is the HP Slatebook 10 x2 quad core intel tegra tablet/laptop. top half come away from bottom like a keyboard docking staion. , has on paper at least some nice specs. ssd card in both sections and internal memory in also. bottom section is were all the normal ports lie however, usb , chargeing port, not sure if it has hdmi, but that wouldnt matter heres my thinking, and I hope Ive got this correct. the docking port on the tablet side is Hps own generic design, threw what ive read I think its there version of the apple charger, so u have to buy another chargeing solution / synce cable, But further digging turns out this port is pretty close to thunderbolt port and may even be quicker , or offer more threw it. it acts as both chargeing port and data synce from keyboard section to monitor, apparntly 4k cable data can go threw this connector. so if ive got this rite and i hope i have makes perfect sense in my head :p, instead of connect the tab to the keyboard dock, find a hack / solution to turn the curent conector with hdmi on otherside for to atach it to camara..? think i saw 1 on hps site already around £40 bbut hp isnt the easiest to understand lets face it. so i could be way of. anyway ive ordered base and requreid cables get a better look at whats what, in meantime if any1 knows better about this transformer type docking staion tablet please comment as im now eager to find out 1 way or other . hope this helps.  :) and hope this is the case as the slatebook 10 is down considerbly in price. got this 1 for       under 50, time i add charger and dock up 80, saw them with 32gb internal with two free ssd slot and usb port on ebay with "new and buy now £150. not bad for quad core intel. fingers crossed :)

Just
Braw

dratif

Quote from: JustBraw on January 22, 2016, 03:36:37 AM
I know this is ongoing problem with tablets and hdmi input, ive been trying to come up with a way for a while now , mainly since i broke my usb connector on cam board :/ :( If i put as much effort into getting it fixed id be up and running again, lol however ive came up with something, and hopeing an intelegent meber will be able to conform or deny this theory,
Ive recently discovered a tablet I bought in a job lot wasnt what i thought , it came as normall 10 inch tablet with usb charger and everything seemed normal, untill i went to charge it, i noticed a port on bottom unlike any other. I took it round countless shops to aquire correct charger all of whom had never seen it and had no clue.  time to start digging, Turns out this is the HP Slatebook 10 x2 quad core intel tegra tablet/laptop. top half come away from bottom like a keyboard docking staion. , has on paper at least some nice specs. ssd card in both sections and internal memory in also. bottom section is were all the normal ports lie however, usb , chargeing port, not sure if it has hdmi, but that wouldnt matter heres my thinking, and I hope Ive got this correct. the docking port on the tablet side is Hps own generic design, threw what ive read I think its there version of the apple charger, so u have to buy another chargeing solution / synce cable, But further digging turns out this port is pretty close to thunderbolt port and may even be quicker , or offer more threw it. it acts as both chargeing port and data synce from keyboard section to monitor, apparntly 4k cable data can go threw this connector. so if ive got this rite and i hope i have makes perfect sense in my head :p, instead of connect the tab to the keyboard dock, find a hack / solution to turn the curent conector with hdmi on otherside for to atach it to camara..? think i saw 1 on hps site already around £40 bbut hp isnt the easiest to understand lets face it. so i could be way of. anyway ive ordered base and requreid cables get a better look at whats what, in meantime if any1 knows better about this transformer type docking staion tablet please comment as im now eager to find out 1 way or other . hope this helps.  :) and hope this is the case as the slatebook 10 is down considerbly in price. got this 1 for       under 50, time i add charger and dock up 80, saw them with 32gb internal with two free ssd slot and usb port on ebay with "new and buy now £150. not bad for quad core intel. fingers crossed :)

Just
Braw

Were you able to get it working?

I am trying to monitor on Nexus 7 with Mark iii 1.1.3 but my clip ends on 25 seconds.

Any tips?
5D3 | SanDisk 64GB 160- KB 64GB 1066x | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 70-300mm IS USM | Rokinon 85mm 1.5 | Nikon 50mm 1.4 | Nikon 28mm 2.8 | Tascam DR-60 Mk2 | Audio Tech. AT 8024 | MS7701B Boom | Aputure H198C | Monitor FreeWorld FW-759 | Tripod Oben AC-1341 | Head PH-368 | Slider SLD-31 | MBP 2015 mid

can-on

Hi All

Help me, I have canon 80d, and Nokia  mobile.
Windows Phone 8.1 is something to remotely control the solution? Alternatively, the program is ?
or any solution which switches adapted to two devices
thx