Auto-ETTR lost in June 18, 2013 build?

Started by l_d_allan, June 19, 2013, 01:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

5d2 and 600d

I replaced 2013-June-11 nightly build with 2013-June-18 NB, and can no long find Auto-ETTR functionality (or other ETTR capabilities like "Hint").

Did I do something wrong? Something awry? Relocated?

Also, I noticed that the June 18 .zip download was quite a bit larger than previous .zip's. Also, that there weren't nightly builds for several days after June 12th.

Audionut

Auto ETTR in now a module (like raw rec).  The module has to be copied to the module folder on the ML installation card and loaded through the module menu in ML.

l_d_allan

Quote from: Audionut on June 19, 2013, 01:43:52 AM
Auto ETTR in now a module (like raw rec). 

Sorry to be slow, but I don't find anything that looks like "raw rec" or "auto ettr" in the June 18th .zip file. I looked at other daily entries for "archive" after June 12, 2013, but they were empty. I looked in the 2.3 documentation, but didn't find anything about "module installation".

The module has to be copied to the module folder on the ML installation card

I don't see a "module folder" on the ML installation card. Is that something I create as a subdirectory under ML? Then put "something" in it?

I did create a "module" subdirectory under ML, but that didn't seem to accomplish anything.

Quoteand loaded through the module menu in ML.

> Go to modules (rightmost tab in the ML menu) and click load... then the raw video option will show up in the video tab.

The above from another post was all I could find about installing modules. However, my 5d2 and T3i ML menus have "Help" as the rightmost tab.

Audionut

A "module" is a new feature that is still in pre-alpha testing and hasn't even made it to the official nightly builds.

Auto ETTR was in the nightly code, but it got moved into a module.  It won't be moved back, so if you want to continue to use this feature, you will have to use a compiled build with modules.

They can be found here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6362.0

There is some documentation here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

Note:  The documentation was created when raw recording (also a module) was first developed.  So it might be a little lacking.  To enable Auto ETTR, you should follow the same procedure as for raw recording, but you will need the ettr.mo and 5D2_212.SYM files to be in the module folder.

l_d_allan

OK. Thanks for the hints, and your patience with this ML semi-newbie.

I was able to find ... a43e030494e4.zip,
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6362.msg50149#msg50149
which contained
AUTOEXEC.COM
ML
ML\MODULES
   5D2_212.SYM
   ETTR.MO
   FILE_MAN.MO
   RAW_REC.MO

And it seems to work. I suppose I can remove FILE_MAN.MO and RAW_REC.MO if those aren't of interest.

I am unclear about the duplicate AUTOEXEC.BIN. The autoexec.bin from the June 19,2013 NB was about 3.1MB, and the AUTOEXEC.BIN from a43e030494e4.zip was much smaller, about 430KB.

Is this the correct "best practice" ...
* Copy the latest NB to the 5d2 CF card
* Firmware update
* Copy contents of unzipped a43e030494e4.zip to CF card, including replacement AUTOEXEC.BAT
* Don't do another firmware update???
* Activate module(s)

I suppose I should check if modules get updated?

sutobe

I'm not really getting this (I am not a programmer).

Why has it been moved to Modules?

and uhm....where can I find a modules folder?

Camera is my 550D
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

l_d_allan

Quote from: sutobe on June 19, 2013, 08:12:30 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. It seems like this will make Auto-ETTR harder to use, so it will get less testing.

Also, my observation is that ETTR-Hint is coupled with the selections for Auto-ETTR, as the selections for "% ignore" and what to clip influence how many EV stops are recommended for exposure adjustment.

Audionut

Quote from: l_d_allan on June 19, 2013, 01:29:51 PM
And it seems to work. I suppose I can remove FILE_MAN.MO and RAW_REC.MO if those aren't of interest.

File_man is the new file manager module that allows you to move, copy, view, delete files from your storage cards in the camera.
Raw_rec is the raw recording module that I'm sure you have heard about.

If you're not interested in either of these features (or other modules as they become available), sure you can leave them off the card.  You can also disable the autoload for each module in the module menu.  In this way, the modules can remain on card and if you ever become interested in using them, it's very simple to enable the autoload feature to start using them.

Quote from: l_d_allan on June 19, 2013, 01:29:51 PM
I am unclear about the duplicate AUTOEXEC.BIN. The autoexec.bin from the June 19,2013 NB was about 3.1MB, and the AUTOEXEC.BIN from a43e030494e4.zip was much smaller, about 430KB.

The autoexec.bin in the nightlies is for all cameras.  The one from the raw recording builds thread is specific to your camera.

Quote from: l_d_allan on June 19, 2013, 08:57:18 PM
Is this the correct "best practice" ...

If you're already running a nightly, you only need to copy over the files from the download in the raw recording build thread.

I suppose I should check if modules get updated?

If you want to keep the features up to date ;)  Just the same as you would update your nightly build.

Quote from: sutobe on June 19, 2013, 08:12:30 PM
I'm not really getting this (I am not a programmer).

AFAIK, a module works on all cameras.  In the future to help keep the code clean, all features that work on all cameras will be moved to the new module system.

Also, my observation is that ETTR-Hint is coupled with the selections for Auto-ETTR, as the selections for "% ignore" and what to clip influence how many EV stops are recommended for exposure adjustment.

That sounds sensible to me.  Why should it ignore the settings you have chosen for your tolerance to overexposure?

l_d_allan

Quote from: Audionut on June 20, 2013, 02:15:15 AM
The autoexec.bin in the nightlies is for all cameras.  The one from the raw recording builds thread is specific to your camera.

Ah, didn't realize that.

QuoteThat sounds sensible to me.  Why should it ignore the settings you have chosen for your tolerance to overexposure?

The issue was that if the auto-ettr module wasn't installed, how would the histogram ettr-hint get the related/coupled values (for % ignore and clip-what? My speculation is that it would use defaults.

Audionut

Quote from: l_d_allan on June 20, 2013, 05:13:44 PM
The issue was that if the auto-ettr module wasn't installed, how would the histogram ettr-hint get the related/coupled values (for % ignore and clip-what? My speculation is that it would use defaults.

Indeed.  The ETTR hint is directly related to the AutoETTR settings, regardless of whether this feature is on or not.
I'll create a bug report.

edit:  Looking at the code, it appears to use AutoETTR settings if the module is loaded, and any overexposure is the module is not.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6669.0