RAWpp:Lowest frame rate for upconversion/interpolation of wave/complex movement.

Started by Kim.dh, June 15, 2013, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kim.dh

Limited by the data-rate of the 550d, I would like to figure out the lowest frame rate needed for twixtoring of complex movement such as waves and trees in the wind,  giving natural looking results.

In this video@18 fps->30fps, wave movement looks natural to me, with some minor tearing of the sail (no pun intended) against the skyline, which I can probably fix as I learn how to use Twixtor better.

I made another video containing wave movement earlier at 6 fps that I twixtored to 24 fps, but the result was pretty bad, with very unnatural looking movement of the waves.

So does anyone have experience twixtoring water movement? What is the minimum required frame rate and what settings should be used?

JohnBarlow

You should aim for a half or one third of your target framerate

eg, 12p to 24p is easy because it retains original frame data and tweens the missing frames from that.

18p to 30p has to compute all 30 frames, so not so good since original data is discarded, 15p tp 30p would be better

For complex motion use a high shutter speed >250

Kim.dh

Thanks for that John. I did a test of waves crashing over an underwater rock with 14.985 fps twixtored to 29.97; not only did the result look natural, but the rendering times was a 5th of "non-multiple" twixtoring.