Can you record beyond 4GB limit and succesfully process in Post? 5D mark iii

Started by Jasonthanerd, September 17, 2013, 10:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasonthanerd

Is there a way to record beyond 4GB and successfully process in post production.
When I record beyond 4GB I get 2 files. Raw and a 00000 file.
When I convert, I get nothing but DNG files with orange lines in it.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

myke2242

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 17, 2013, 12:50:23 PM
You must read and do research before you post.

RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

I don't think you realize that this doesn't really make sense. Yes you don't want to have multiple threads on the same thing i completely understand that and don't think that would happen. I challenge you to goggle the same question and find the answer quickly. It won't happen because of the way goggle indexes pages. a lot of people want the highlighted answer because they don't have the time to read through 20 pages to find a answer that is two sentences. Your response is also a little insulting because the same thing happens on the internal search.

Midphase

I think that's the point that Renato is trying to make, ML is not something that you pick up in 30 seconds and Google what you can't figure out.

We've all had to go through a learning curve....what makes you guys so much better that you can bypass what we've all had to do the hard way?

One should expect to spend about 5-10 hours reading everything they can find out about ML before even contemplating installing it on their cameras.

If the OP had even bothered to spend 30 minutes looking around the ML forums instead of resorting to starting a new thread, he would have quickly realized that all he needs to do is to re-format his card in ExFAT and he'd be done.

LucaBrasi

I Agree with Midphase!

Bottom line, we are all beginners in the beginning, and have thousands of questions. There are a lot of new users and chances are the question have probably been answered at least ten times before. You will find them if you actually search for them in the topics and do your homework. Chances are you will also learn a few tips and tricks along the way! Tricks you didn't knew you would need but in the end saved your shot :)

ted ramasola

I also agree with mid phase. If you come in here and your first post show you have not read A LOT of pages and expect to be spoon fed expect to get some nasty words from most that have invested time here to learn.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

alsey7

everyone right. I think you have to read for at least 1 month or more. Yes there a lot of reading but well worth it when you finally understand ML. Heck it took my about 1 year to have the nerve and install ML on my Canon 7D ( Now its a piece of cake its  just like when you root your android after you learn then  you keep install latest build )The biggest worry i had if i fuck up and brick my 7D my wife would kill me because $1500.00 down the drain. everyone please read. ML is not a Toy nor should it be.

pascal

i installed ml the first day i got my camera. in fact i just bought canon gear just because of ml.  ;)

1%

Me too, it took a while to learn but I didn't needle everyone with q like: how do I turn the camera on? I searched on the forums.

ilguercio

Quote from: myke2242 on November 02, 2013, 09:47:21 PM
I don't think you realize that this doesn't really make sense. Yes you don't want to have multiple threads on the same thing i completely understand that and don't think that would happen. I challenge you to goggle the same question and find the answer quickly. It won't happen because of the way goggle indexes pages. a lot of people want the highlighted answer because they don't have the time to read through 20 pages to find a answer that is two sentences. Your response is also a little insulting because the same thing happens on the internal search.
So why should he provide you with a search that you could easily do yourself?
If you think that scrolling through 20 pages to find your answer is too much then you should steer off ML and similar.
If you can't be bothered why should somebody else do the job on your behalf?
Don't be surprised if some threads get no replies, if the answers are already here you should be able to find them yourself.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

hehe, I remember looking at russian CDMA stuff that is only in russian and you have to read 20+ pages to find your answer, the only one on the internet, then you have to register on the russian forum to download all with google translate. ML is a cakewalk compared to this.

Midphase

BTW, if everyone was good about searching and reading to find the answers they're looking for, and only resorted to starting a new thread once they truly exhausted the existing avenues; this forum would be a lot cleaner and easier to search in the first place!

I also don't understand why people start a new thread instead of simply posting their question to an existing thread that relates to the camera they're using (and in many cases the very problem they're having).

1%

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 1% on November 03, 2013, 06:57:17 PM
I have the answer: entitlement and selfishness.
Ignorance on how forums works and laziness to read and research. 

After spending many hours updating and keeping up the guides I find it upsetting that a newbies does not take the time to read anything.  I say band the newbies from this forum!!  Only allow them to post after 1 month of signing up with a clear and concise explanation of why this is so!

Of course this does not apply to all the newbies!  There are good and bad in everything so I apologize for my statement.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

LucaBrasi

This might not be the place to discuss this but would it be time for a newbie area on ML forum? A moderator that throw all these questions in there in a more aggressive way? (Of course some newly registered have questions and comments that are interesting and toughtful)

I have not posted a lot but have been around reading and testing for a long time. However if I read one more question about for instance what picture profile to use with raw I will explode. The forum gets more and more hard to use and find interesting user findings and tips and tricks for every day almost.

Btw really appreciate the time and effort you have but in making your guides RenatoPhoto, they are great summaries of hundreds of pages discussions!

RenatoPhoto

If the newbies have a 1 month waiting period and are provided with a nice welcome letter with a How to: beginners guide and important links, then they could learn a bit before they write another how to question.

Midphase

I think the 1-month probationary period is not a bad idea actually. Either that, or restrict their ability to start new threads until their new thread has been approved by an admin.

Actually, the latter is probably not a bad idea. I believe Andrew at EOSHD.com implements something of the sort where new users can't post until their posts are approved by the admin.

Last but not least, if you guys are overwhelmed with moderation duties and are looking for help, I'm available to help out any way I can.  ;D

LucaBrasi

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on November 03, 2013, 08:09:45 PM
If the newbies have a 1 month waiting period and are provided with a nice welcome letter with a How to: beginners guide and important links, then they could learn a bit before they write another how to question.

Or maby a quiz,

1. Do you use PP with raw?
2. Is it possible to shoot 8K with raw?
3. What is cdng?
4. What is nightly builds?

And so on, when registering a new account!

Midphase

painya

Quote from: Midphase on November 03, 2013, 08:52:44 PM
That's funny...should be a multiple-choice answer test too!

When will the next version be out?
A) It's out ML devs are just keeping it for themselves
B) That's an excellent question. Let's PM all of the DEVs until they tell us.
C) When it's done
D) What do you mean by next version?

When will we get higher frame rates like 1080 at 60p?
A) Maybe if we ask for it enough on the forum.
B) Buy a different camera if that's what you want.
C) What does the question mean?
D) Once ML moves to the Gopro; that should be soon right? I mean, think of the possibilities!

Should you search the forum before posting a question?
A) How do you do that?
B) Never, people love it when you just re-ask questions. Don't forget to be most effective and cross post!
C) Only if you don't want to be ridiculed, and have someone give you a "let me Google that for you" link.
D) Just continue to wonder forever, can we as Humans ever know anything anyways?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.