New to filming - need some handheld film techniques with my equipment...

Started by ShootingStars, June 16, 2013, 07:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

Hey guys, I own a 5D3 and a 70-200mm IS II lens. Since a steadicam merlin won't handle the weight of this and that I don't really want to wear a vest, do you guys have any suggestions for handheld techniques using such equipment? I'm not doing any professional work, it's more of a casual thing but I want to get the best picture possible. I want to be able to:

1) Horizontal pan - Should be easy...
2) Vertical pan - Should be easy...
3) Spiral movement around a person - Tried this with an object and kept losing position and trouble with focus...
4) Follow someone - Trouble with focus... is the key here to stay at the same distance to the person constantly?

I know focus problems can be fixed with high aperture (f/11+), is that okay to do so if I record RAW so that I can increase the exposure in post?

freakygeez

I would get a Glanz shoulder Rig

I picked up mine for around $300 new, they come with standard 15mm rails, matte box and follow focus.

They're pretty lightweight but have 3 points of contact so you get really steady shots.

freakygeez

mmm... Just as another note whats your motivation to spiraling around a person other than to make the viewers dizzy?

Sure 360 degree tracks may look cool but WHY are you using them? Why must we see all of the subject?

I have a movie short in production that will probably use a spiral and it's motivation is the life-threatening confrontation going on between Protagonist and Antagonists.

I see 360 tracks of skateboarders on you tube all the time and all the skateboarder ever does is...Nothing, doesn't even do a trick.