Get 'Focus: soft limit reached' (5DmkIII - Magic Lantern June 14th)

Started by JePe, June 16, 2013, 05:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JePe

Hi, first post... :)

I installed the last version ML for the 5DmkIII (Magic Lantern June 14th) ... I had some problems:
- I use CF card Lexar 32Gb 1000x
- installation on a SD card 'alone' (Sandisk 45Mb/s), without installing it on the CF (thought reading that that was possible), didn't work. Camera doesn't start up. Strangely enough, I had to swap batteries (other onces) before I even got 'back'...
Now I installed ML on both Lexar cards, works. Not sure why the SD didn't work, but...
- I wanted to video some windsurf action, perhaps not the best way to test it (was windforce 8, and just when I swapped my 1D for the 5D ... it started to rain... and I have very bad memories of 5D's in rain (drawned my 5DmkII once during heavy rain)... but.. I tried to do some video... Settings RAW -> 1920x1080 -> rest almost default. I got a couple of things:
* Focus: soft limit reached...  I use electronic Follow focus (Manfrotto Simpla Follow Focus), .. YOu get this message if you keep pulling focus to the right or left...  Problem is, it 'stops' focus at certain distance. With my 300/F2,8 it will not focus closer then 8 meter! I tried it with the 24-70, which goes all the way (but still gives those messages), the 70-200/F2.8 stops at 3 meter (which is 1.5 meter less then the lens can go). If I use the 'non' electronic focus (my hands  ;D) it doesn't give any problems... no messages, even if I rotate the focus ring further....  Looks like that the 'electronic FF' 'hack' (they also 'hack into' Canon's firmware a bit) interferes with the ML 'hack'. 
Btw, I have also an OKII elect. FF, does exactly the same!!! 

Edit: I figured this one out.... If you use such electronic FF, you have to set the Focus rangebutton on the lens to the smallest value... the 24-70 doesn't have such, the 70-200mm: 1.4m-OO and the 300mm: 2.5-OO ... you still get the message 'soft limit reached' if you got to the lowest/highest setting, but that's allright.
Perhaps interesting info concearning everybody using electronic follow focus!!

* frame drops. I use the fastest card around (Lexar 1000x 32Gb, -> http://www.robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_page7de5.html?cid=6007-12452 is the fastest) ... but still I get frame drops! That worries me a bit.... I try to keep up with all the info here on this forum, but it's a bit overwhelming .... So ... what did I do 'wrong'?? REsolution on 1920x1080 - 16:9 - rest is default....
Are there any settings I still have to 'set' for optimum uses? I formatted both discs already in exFat....