4k Filming

Started by krashnik, June 15, 2013, 06:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krashnik

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my last message.
We need a thread specific for 4k RAW.  I'm a programmer & I'm not asking ML to put this together. I'm asking the programmers who have already started on this to actually start a thread & we all share our input to the code that we have seen.

I can contribute time & energy on programming to this.  Though, I'd prefer to see data from multiple programmers all in one inclusive place while I put my effort forward.  It doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel - as any programmer knows.  We are lazy & we use the most efficient method possible to start. I'm not seeing positive community involvement in locking my thread when I'm putting effort into an area that has no substance as of yet.

g3gg0

there is no programming needed. first it needs reverse engineering.

understand how to use ADKIZ, TWOADD, HIV, DEFM, SHAD and the other modules, then understand JP62
and finally set up the communication between those modules using EDMAC.

> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Register_Map
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

krashnik

One method that I see working:

Add a new JPG Photo mode that saves photos to exactly 4k frame size.  Then, use burst firing mode to see how far we can push the buffer.
If this doesn't work, create a photo mode with the highest available burst firing mode possible without exceeding buffer.

We could also code today and plan for tomorrow.  Go ahead and write code based on the fact that UDMA 7 1666x speed cards will be available within a year that can provide this threshold.  Or, in the meantime someone may figure out the CF to SSD converter process. 

Either way, finding a solution to provide the menu options should be our first focus & then worry about buffers and such thereafter.

I only have a Canon 50D out of my lineup that can potentially handle this, so I'll play around this next week and see what I find.

1%

A couple of issues tho:

Jpeg in that size uses the shutter.

Besides what g3gg0 said as far as I know there are 2 ways of reading the sensor (line by line with shutter click), LV style with line skips and XX fps...maybe with lots of cache hacks or taking over the sensor parameters we could force some kind of 4k lv_debug image.. but its not so easy.

Better start reading the FW disassembly :)

krashnik

Thanks for the insight - exactly what I was looking for.

I don't want to try a direction you have already put tons of hours into.  We essentially need to find a solution nobody has thought of yet.  Surely, it can be done if we can override shutter getting used & make the resolution small enough to fit within ~96mb/s.

Since I'm new on your mod, It will surely take me some time to do this... though, I see it as a better investment to help this community than to purchase new hardware that is capable of this.  If we build this thread with all our trials & errors - the future programmers can learn from our mistakes and finally get this sucker finished.

krashnik

RED recently released a new 4K conversion to make .RED files instead of R3D.  I know that is a long shot, but we could potentially override the compression agent of Canon and replace it with RED conversions.  Supposedly, this records 4K footage at 2.5mb/s. 

Regardless of that accuracy, RED has been in the RAW business quite awhile and if we either use their compression tactics or switch over to using H.265 - we can really improve the quality within the limited bandwidth that we have.

Has anyone tried porting H.265 or .RED compression already into ML?

squig

Borrowing Reds codec is a big no no.

4k MJPEG on the 1DC runs at about 300Mbps so writing to the card isn't a huge issue. The question is can the compression be done with only one digic?

1%

And it will run on what exactly? H264 is a dedicated die and probably jp62 as well.

Can you implement H265 on a PII 233mhz with real time compression? This is what you're asking.

A good first step to anything productive would be to figure out JP62 and throw the current raw buffer through it. Maybe you can look at lv to jpeg functions to get an idea. Would fix SD cameras and is 1/2 the puzzle. More challenging: make a CR2 without actuating the shutter.

robertgl

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
And it will run on what exactly? H264 is a dedicated die and probably jp62 as well.

afaik JP62 handles both H264 and JPEG
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

1%

Seems like digicV using eeko nav now instead of JP62.. slice and all that is dead, never moves.

Either way don't see shoehorning another codec in there.

g3gg0

true, they use EEKO now

romeus

Why people keep talking About 4K  ??? ?? What About something more realistic Like shoting 900 fps like FT-one :D

g3gg0

yeah, true. lets implement 8k!

DjJuvan

that's the new thing! Why bother with old 4K  ;D

Audionut

I've left this thread open for genuine DEVELOPMENT discussion!

ItsMeLenny

So can the camera actually take a photo without triggering the mirror?
I thought silent pictures could only be the buffer.

JamieRollsMedia650D

really interested on this topic as ive seen some one shoot in 4k mode iso 3200 hand held & with no noise.. wish my 650d could do that lol

here's the link and he took it on a canon body.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152935967210483&set=a.276149360482.317973.758360482&type=1&theater

ItsMeLenny

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I do believe that is shot on the cinema eos camera?

JamieRollsMedia650D

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on June 23, 2013, 07:34:19 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong; but I do believe that is shot on the cinema eos camera?

oh yea it could be that.

g3gg0

Quote from: Audionut on June 16, 2013, 07:08:12 AM
I've left this thread open for genuine DEVELOPMENT discussion!

Andy600

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 23, 2013, 04:08:47 PM

aww, c'mon g3gg0, we know you're a magician and can break the laws of physics at will  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

g3gg0

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JamieRollsMedia650D

so this is not going to happen ?