4K Filming Non-RAW

Started by krashnik, June 15, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krashnik

Great success on the RAW quality everyone!
On a different note, there are filmmakers such as myself who have different interests.

I shoot with 3 cameras at a time for multiple angles on my footage. I would like to stay ahead of the curve and offer 4k footage as opposed to 1080p. If you are smart about lighting your shots, you can get away with using jpg quality footage just fine.
However, we currently don't have a way to perpetuate our footage into the 4k market.

Pushing CF cards to a 100mb threshold should allow us to barely squeeze by with 4000x2000 resolution jpgs at 4mb each. 4mb per photo X 24 photos per second = 96mbps. This is essentially 4k non-raw footage.

Is anyone currently working on this? I've learned to master my lighting techniques to makeup for lack of RAW over the years, though focus on 4k will really give our cameras new life for literally 10 more years.

I see there has been some chatter about the topic, yet the new knowledge with how RAW video works should give us insight to work on this direction as well. Anyone else have this desire for their film needs?

Audionut

Why stop at 4k? Why not 8K?.

Thanks for the weekly, "can you make it do 4K" thread!

If you want to see 4K footage, offer something that helps to produce 4K footage.  Developers use a significant amount of reasonably complicated maths as part of their everyday coding, I'm pretty sure they can work out the bandwidth requirements needed for 4K.

Yes 4K footage would be nice.  So would 1 million dollars ;)

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40