bmcc color space of the raw video files? is this possible?

Started by swinxx, June 15, 2013, 12:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

hello,
when i try to emulate the raw files to look like the cinemadng files from the bmcc with color space bmd film (in resolve) they look really flat.. (i have achieved that with nearly no contrast.. )
is there a special procedure to do so?
i have seen some really great luts for the bmcc and it would be great to apply them on my canon raw material.
thx.

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

swinxx

hello,
just tried it, thank you. but it works not for me.

but what i mean is that flat pic look.
not a colored look.

i have tried free kodak luts from here:
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2503-Kodak-and-Fujifilm-Emulation-LUTs

and all i can say is whow.. muuucchhh better with my shots.
but i just try to emulate that black magic cinema film look. (Flat picture) in adobe camera raw before i apply the look

AnotherDave

It seems counter-intuitive at first, but once you play around with Resolve a bit you'll get the hang of it.  Just shoot more and keep trying!

swinxx

ok,
the problem is not, that i donĀ“t know resolve.

i just wanted to know if there is a workflow or possibility in after effect to set up the raw cinemadng video to look like the black magic camera film color space.
thats all i wanna know. because then grading would be much easier.
thx

this is a shot from a video test which is graded with a kodak lut, but before i had to make the pic extremly flat, like the bmcc film color space and i have done no more grading, just applied the lut here :)

swinxx

so i think we need a bmcc film profile for the canon raw files :)

Andy600

If you're in After Effects try using the Cineon Converter plugin and set video-to-log. This will give you a very flat look.

Watch this: http://youtu.be/VQz-NtvBLNU

You can do the same thing in Resolve. There are several LUTs included that will give you a 'log' look.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com