RAW video skipped frames marking

Started by dlrpgmsvc, June 14, 2013, 09:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrpgmsvc

For everyone interested, like me, to film RAW with skipping frames allowed (for higher resolution sake), and then interpolate the skipped frames in post, there is no clue to see where are the skipped frames. I dunno if the problem is "raw2dng.exe" extractor or the raw recording mechanism, but there is no trace about the skipped frames. It can be implemented as a jumped DNG numbering, or even a 0 (zero) bytes DNG, but something must be done in order to apply a post intervention. Many thanks !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

AnotherDave

If you're interested in shooting higher resolutions, but your card can't handle the throughput... (like no card can for 3.6k) just adjust the frame rate to something lower...  My camera can do 3.6k at 10fps.

dlrpgmsvc

It's better a movie with only some frames interpolated than a lower fps movie fully interpolated

Audionut

Really?   Smooth motion - jump - smooth motion - jump - jump - smooth motion - jump.

IMO (of course), but that would have to be one of the most annoying things.  The brain will soon adapt to a slower framerate, it won't ever adapt to random fluctuations in motion.

dlrpgmsvc

are you really reading, or only joking? the jumps points will be interpolated! if i want jumping there is no need for my present request! i can put a wikipedia link to the word 'interpolation' if you need it. let me kbow.

a1ex

Audionut

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 15, 2013, 10:19:44 AM
are you really reading, or only joking? the jumps points will be interpolated! if i want jumping there is no need for my present request! i can put a wikipedia link to the word 'interpolation' if you need it. let me kbow.

And what happens when there is more then a single dropped frame?  2, 3 or more consecutive frames.

What's your idea of interpolation, recording the first and last frames and interpolating 30000 frames in the middle.

dlrpgmsvc

just because i need to interpolate the full video. with quality degradation for all the frames. for example, if i want to film in full hd on 550d i need to shoot at 4fps! unviewable. also interpolating 4fps to 24 fps is unviewable. instead, if i shoot full hd with skipping frames, i need to interpolate one frame every 32 frames or so, so it's highly feasible! but i need to know wherKe to interpolate in post.

Audionut

Does that mod drop frames consistently?

If it does then you already know where the dropped frames are.  1 in every 5 frames, 1 in 6, 1in 7 etc, etc.

If you're only getting 4fps at 1920x1080, I think you need to relax your expectations of what you are going to achieve.  You're going to have to drop resolution.  1280x720 in raw scales very well to 1920x1080 and is much better then 1080p in Canon H.264.

IMHO, you're going to want at least 15fps to get a final framerate of 23.976.  And I still don't think you're going to be satisfied with the final results.  But then, some people really like 2 trillion fps interpolated TV's, so your opinion may differ!

If interpolation (with current methods), worked as well as you seem to think it does, more people would be using it.  And there is a HUGE difference between interpolating 24 frames into 30 or 60, and interpolating around 10 or 15 frames into 24.  24 fps has sufficient (arguably) captured motion to interpolate, 10 doesn't!

a1ex

If you drop 1 frame every 32, you will not see any improvement in continuous recording (it's like recording with 20.6 MB/s instead of 20).

Stop dreaming and do the math.

dlrpgmsvc

the difference is seeing a jump every second and not seeing it by interpolating ONE frame, that is 1/24 of a second, i dont see where is the huge loss of quality and the dreaming, here... sincerely...

Audionut

Try it.  When you have results, feel free to pm me and I'll reopen the thread.