FPS Override Question

Started by brapodam, June 13, 2013, 12:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brapodam

I know that using the intervalometer with Auto ETTR and post-deflicker is the best way to do time lapse videos. But I'm stubborn like that and want to try to make RAW video work for time lapse.

I've read somewhere in a thread here that when you use ExpSim, the image in the live view isn't really of the exposure details you key in, it's something like 1/30 with a ramped up ISO to show you what the image would look like if you dialed in those exposure settings. So let's say my exposure parameters are F4, 5s (0.2 fps override), ISO 100, what does the camera capture (in terms of exposure parameters) when I hit the record button? I'm talking about RAW video here, which, correct me if I'm wrong, works similarly to silent pictures which grabs the images from the live view buffer.

Additional thoughts
-Is there any difference if I use normal (non-RAW) video?
-What happens if I turn off ExpSim?

a1ex

Use movie mode and read the numbers from the screen.

If you turn off ExpSim, the camera will ignore the exposure parameters that you have set.

brapodam

So it means that as long as ExpSim is on, RAW video will capture based on whatever exposure parameters I set? Cool.

a1ex

No. As long as you record in movie mode (not photo!), the exposure values will be the ones displayed by ML (not by Canon!)

brapodam

Quote from: a1ex on June 13, 2013, 01:11:36 PM
No. As long as you record in movie mode (not photo!), the exposure values will be the ones displayed by ML (not by Canon!)
Yup I always record RAW video in movie mode, I've never tried it in photo mode. It's a habit I suppose, a stupid one, since I have to rotate the mode dial all the way around (I'm using 60D)

By the way, does Auto ETTR work when the screen is off? With RAW video now being able to record with the screen off, it is highly unlikely that one would leave the screen on if they are shooting a time lapse video. Does everything continue running in the background even if the screen is off? What happens if global draw off is set in powersave options?

Edit: Even though Auto ETTR seems to say that it works in video mode as long as you shoot RAW video, but it doesn't seem to work (it doesn't change any exposure parameters despite me intentionally setting parameters that underexpose the image). It sometimes seem to change the ISO, but it somehow quickly changes back to what I had set earlier, resulting in the original underexposed image. It sometimes also say VSync err.

Edit 2: After further testing, I found that the Auto ETTR errors are related to using FPS override. When FPS override is used (at least with the FPSes that I tested), Auto ETTR will not work, and it will show a VSync error.

Edit 3: Upon even further testing, Auto ETTR does work even with FPS override (it still shows the VSync error), but the live view image never shows the actual image nor does it appear to change any image parameters, but the video is of correct exposure.