50d - What's missing and what needs fixing?

Started by Andy600, June 13, 2013, 01:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

This is NOT about raw video - Please use this thread for raw video related things: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0

Although raw video has the spotlight atm I though it might be a good idea to go through ML on the 50d to see what is missing and what is broken to help the developers. I have a 600d running Tragic Lantern to compare functions and I'll add more discoveries as I find them. Please add any bugs you find or things you would like to see :)

So here are the first couple of things I spotted:

1) H.264 Movie logging doesn't appear to be working!

2) FPS override in movie mode - The 50d had to be hacked to unhide it's video potential and so far it is restricted to 1080p/30p and 480p/30p. To get frame rates other than 30p you need to use FPS override but QT will still playback the file at 30p and you need conform the files in your NLE to correct the shot values (movie logging is important here if you shoot different FPS). Hoping for native 24p &25p

3) There is no H.264 preview in-camera - would be useful of course

and one for the wishlist (which I'm sure 1% will want to port) ALL-I and GOP control like Tragic Lantern

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

One big thing that was missing was display filter... so defish and all that jazz should work in the one test build I got to fire off.

Native modes should be there at least for 24/25P.. just have to switch to them.

I dunno what 720P (encoder mode exists) and 640x24 will produce.. no worries about canon menu being f'ed up at least and C-mode to test in.

Beep is missing too (crashes saying asif not initialized), as are a bunch of consts (per frame stuff, AV, etc). I dunno whats up with focus in LV.. says 50D doesn't report focus in LV but if 5D2 does I have my doubts.

Seems front state 3 is missing too... I have to decompile the firmware to HTML and see, otherwise raw histogram in photo won't work.

The state diagrams for 50D are terrible.

*movie player is in the firmware too. dunno how to access it yet.

bzhwindtalker

Quote from: 1% on June 13, 2013, 02:05:15 AM
Beep is missing too (crashes saying asif not initialized)

+1 for beep on movie start/stop for audio sync, would be great!
Adam
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Asiertxu

Hi guys!
I´m still looking for more info about 50D´s H264 recording findings and slowly have been able to see some cool threads with the
right information I was looking for so this one IS nice!!
Thank you ANDY and 1% for your efforts (and ofcourse to all Magic Lantern team too!!)
What about your findings? :)
Is there something new for our precious "non video recorder" 50D? :)
I´ve already posted something about this in other threads (Flaps per second, GOPs, etc...).
Thanks in advance for your great help!
Cheers.
Asier.

Andy600

Quote from: Asiertxu on July 17, 2013, 07:16:34 PM
Hi guys!
I´m still looking for more info about 50D´s H264 recording findings and slowly have been able to see some cool threads with the
right information I was looking for so this one IS nice!!
Thank you ANDY and 1% for your efforts (and ofcourse to all Magic Lantern team too!!)
What about your findings? :)
Is there something new for our precious "non video recorder" 50D? :)
I´ve already posted something about this in other threads (Flaps per second, GOPs, etc...).
Thanks in advance for your great help!
Cheers.
Asier.

Nothing new on the H.264 front but the 50D guide (coming soon) will answer a lot of your questions ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

John-Jo

2) FPS override in movie mode - The 50d had to be hacked to unhide it's video potential and so far it is restricted to 1080p/30p and 480p/30p. To get frame rates other than 30p you need to use FPS override but QT will still playback the file at 30p and you need conform the files in your NLE to correct the shot values (movie logging is important here if you shoot different FPS). Hoping for native 24p &25p

Hey so just trying to work round a h.264 frame rate issue.... shot @23.98 fps with fps override on. Clips show in the clip bin (fcp7) as 23.98 but in timeline the info shows them as 30fps... went to conform to 23.98 but they already ARE 23.98. Something was amiss as the audio would not sync. slowed to 79.93% in fcp which pulled the audio into line, however the footage looks bit jerky due to the horrible slowdown inside fcp...   is there something I am missing or a better work round? Have searched forum but only really find anything to do with RAW video. This was all h.264. 

If anyone has any input it would be big help! Have to do more interviews and am now thinking to shoot @30 fps and conform after to 23.98? if this is how I should do it though... then what is the point of the fps override?

Thanks in advance!
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

1%

Overwriting the meta data is a problem. Even when the camera is at native 23.xfps the files still show 30P.

FPS override should be fine in exact fps. The audio should conform, I haven't tested (other cams do), make sure your camera didn't overheat and drop to 21fps.

John-Jo

Hey 1%. Thanks for that. Just double checked the FPS setting. Was set to "optimize for low light". not Exact! I was shooting interview with well light subject fairly dark bg. Did notice a change on the LCD when the brightness of shot changed but just thought was to do with the settings of the LCD.  Seems to be behaving like 30fps- as when slowed to 79.93% is seem to line up with the audio and the shots from 7D.
Re overheating: I'm still just trying to sort out the first 3 clips - under 3 mins of footage. Didn't feel hot.

Thanks again.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)