Davinci Resolve Lite

Started by AnotherDave, June 12, 2013, 10:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

I'm upgrading my desktop to handle Resolve Lite (needed a new graphics card), and I'm wondering how fast it is transcoding Cinema DNG files for y'all?

I was able to test it on my laptop, and it blew me away (12fps, as compared to forever in AE).

fatpig

very fast. just like raw2dng. :)

AnotherDave

yes, but raw2dng doesn't encode metadata that allows me bring in an edl and output a master from the same program!  ;-)

peoplemerge

On a loaded Macbook Pro quad-i7 2.4ghz it takes 40m to generate 15m of proxies on a spinning usb disk.  Haven't tried SSD but it would speed that up a lot.

nightvision04

Here's my raw2cnd speed tests. My operating system is run off of a dedicated SSD.

Using Dual (RAID 0) 10,000rpm drives:

Average cndg frames processed a second - 59.2

Using SSD 5gbps drive:

Average cdng frames processed a second - 118.4

Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

hjfilmspeed

Any body have any good methods for sharpening in Resolve? i noticed my ACR dngs are way sharper then my Resolve clips. Are there any settings im missing  in the menus? I have been matching up my resolution settings correctly and i have been messing with the blur and sharpen tool in resolve and i cant seem to get that amazing ACR sharpness. Any thoughts?

Albertdup

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 12, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
I'm upgrading my desktop to handle Resolve Lite (needed a new graphics card), and I'm wondering how fast it is transcoding Cinema DNG files for y'all?

I was able to test it on my laptop, and it blew me away (12fps, as compared to forever in AE).

Using a GTX 570 with cuda I am getting between 83 and 105 fps depending on wheter I am using my SSD or HDD

DerekDock

Resolve really is awesome for post processing. If only it could remove my hot pixels...
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

togg

Quote from: DerekDock on June 27, 2013, 12:24:42 AM
Resolve really is awesome for post processing. If only it could remove my hot pixels...

So true :(

chmee

Please upload somewhere a short and small RAW-File with hot/deadpixels and link it here. I just 've got an idea :)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

sarotaz

Quote from: chmee on June 30, 2013, 10:16:57 PM
Please upload somewhere a short and small RAW-File with hot/deadpixels and link it here. I just 've got an idea :)

if you can wait tomorrow, i'll shoot some frame and i'll load it in dropbox. which resolution do you prefer?

chmee

for first tests no restrictions - to be universal, it should be the biggest resolution the body can handle. (!) to simplify the thing, it would be good to record against black, for example with lens cover on.

The Idea is simple - taking this first frame, analyzing on "same value" sensels, they seem to be bad/hot. destination:

(A) writing badpixel-opcode in the tiff-header (and i dont know, if resolve can handle this opcode).
or
(B) writing a synthetic node for resolve with masked points.. saving in the according path.

This Data would be kind of footprint, unique for every body. It would be generated once and could be used for every footage made on this body, because these pixels "should" be static. thats the idea..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

sarotaz

Ok tomorrow i'll shoot some frame with lens cover on. Obviously raw2dng removes all bad pixel so i'll upload raw file.

togg

Quote from: chmee on July 01, 2013, 12:07:57 AM
for first tests no restrictions - to be universal, it should be the biggest resolution the body can handle. (!) to simplify the thing, it would be good to record against black, for example with lens cover on.

The Idea is simple - taking this first frame, analyzing on "same value" sensels, they seem to be bad/hot. destination:

(A) writing badpixel-opcode in the tiff-header (and i dont know, if resolve can handle this opcode).
or
(B) writing a synthetic node for resolve with masked points.. saving in the according path.

This Data would be kind of footprint, unique for every body. It would be generated once and could be used for every footage made on this body, because these pixels "should" be static. thats the idea..

regards chmee

This would be wonderful. 

Maximum resolution for 5D II, 6400 ISO, lens cap on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fndd6lya251so8z

Using Resolve I've found 10 (TEN!) bad pixel  :'( I hope this will help you, http://i.imgur.com/Ktc2wcD.jpg

marekk

raw2dng doesn't remove bad pixels, only adds badpixel_opcode to dng header. ACR removes bad pixels based on badpixel_opcode.

Quote from: sarotaz on July 01, 2013, 12:49:40 AM
Ok tomorrow i'll shoot some frame with lens cover on. Obviously raw2dng removes all bad pixel so i'll upload raw file.

togg

Quote from: marekk on July 02, 2013, 04:26:01 PM
raw2dng doesn't remove bad pixels, only adds badpixel_opcode to dng header. ACR removes bad pixels based on badpixel_opcode.

thanks for the info.
anyway I've tried again at 1600 ISO and now I see only one red pixel mmm