[SOLVED] 2 Mistakes with my 50D - Now won't boot.

Started by Thai, June 12, 2013, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thai

ML was working perfectly on my 50D. Now it won't boot up whatsoever. No lights, no signs of life. Batteries full, etc. Tried pulling batteries, grip, backup battery, etc. Nothing.

Mistake #1:
I never disabled Sensor Cleaning. Didn't know about that until after the fact.

Mistake #2:
I have a bad habit of pulling the CF card out with the camera set to ON. I pulled it out and now this is the result. I couldn't find any relevant answer after my exhaustive searches. Right now I just want a functional camera.

I've tried:
Pulling camera batteries, removed battery grip, removed backup battery, let it sit, on/off, etc.
EOSCard saved settings with bootable enabled. ML card contents are as they should.

Please help. Thank you.

a1ex

Does it boot without card?

I'm not aware of any side effects from these two mistakes, actually I always do exactly the same things on 5D2 (sensor cleaning on and removing the card with camera on).

Andy600

Does it boot without the card? Does it boot in other modes (Tv, Av, P etc)

You don't need to disable sensor cleaning unless your camera is IR modified.  ;)

edit: @a1ex - you beat me to it :D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Thai

It won't boot in any modes.

It won't boot with card removed.

Thai

I just noticed the 2 sticky threads in Emergency Care subforum. I guess I can try those later today when I get home (at work now)....

Thai

From this link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices

QuoteDon't remove your card too fast!
After you open the card door, most cameras will access it during the next few seconds. These cameras usually do a short LED blink when it's safe to remove the card.

The card access is usually done without LED activity (and this can't be fixed without reflashing Canon firmware with a modified version). That's why you really need to be patient when removing the card.

If you remove the card too early, the camera will lock up and will slowly drain your battery.

Affected cameras:

50D: card activity takes place without any LED blinks; after opening the card door, wait for 5 seconds before removing the card (even if camera was turned off hours ago!)

I think that's my problem maybe.

Thai

Got it working again. Thank GOD.

Formatted card on PC.
Reloaded ML onto it.
EOSCard set to boot.

And then it took probably 10 tries and finally it boots up normal now.

This card is NEVER leaving this camera again - as long as I'm still using ML. :(

Andy600

Glad you got it working again Thai. I tend to pull the battery a few seconds after switching off and before removing the card as another safeguard. It's a bit of a pain but you avoid these problems and potential battery drain.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com