Picked up the Hoodman Steel 1000x today (benchmark)

Started by 5D3shooter, June 12, 2013, 04:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5D3shooter

Well, I was up all night researching and came to the conclusion that Hoodman Steel has the best card and warranty.  I took a drive over to their warehouse this morning and purchased it directly from them.  I also picked up the USB 3.0 reader.

All my other cards were 400x/533x so I was only able to shoot in 720.  But today after I popped this baby In I was filiming in 1920x1080 with no issues. The card seems solid, I had only one freeze all day and it was because I was using focus zoom and presed record.  It seems you have to get out of the 5x zoom assist before you hit record or it will freeze.  I will post some benchmarks if you guys want. 

KMA_WWC

Yes it is indeed an amazing card. Luckily I discovered those too. They are on the top list in speed performances out of all the cards I have. Lexar on the second place.
Canon 5D Mark III

squig

They're not cheap, $345 for a 64Gb card vs $275 for the Lexar. Unless you wanna do 60p or 2k I don't see a reason to pay more.

5D3shooter

Never said it was cheap, I said it was SOLID.  I checked out every card available and decided to spend a little more for peace of mind.  And I liked the fact that they're in my neck of the woods, I can always drive down there and swap with them if anything should happen.  No dealing with mail-order or samys snobs etc.

I did plenty of 60P today, btw  ;)

Steven

sksmseks

hoodman is faster than rexar 1000x 128 ?

i saw komputerbay 64 is fastest card in bench but hoodman is faster than 64g komputerbay??

5D3shooter

The benchmark doesn't look too good, and today I can't even record in 1920x1280.  For some reason black magic speed test shows way higher than the magic lantern benchmark.  Anyway, I'm gonna email them right now and ask if this is normal because if it is I want my money back.

squig

The Lexar and Toshiba bench between 94 and 96MB/s (13th June build) but I can't record more than 2.4Gb @ 1280p on either with the camera fully speed optimised.

5D3shooter

I emailed them and they said their cards are 45% faster than sandisk, and since they claim 100MB/S, they figured they'd claim 145MB/S because of that.  And then the guy posted me a link to their photographer testimonials.

I'm like thats great and all, but I'm still not getting anywhere near 145MB/S.  Not even 120MB/S.

He says "do the same test with a cheaper card and it won't be as fast"...I sent him the Komputer Bay benchmarks that are hitting 120MB/S.

So conclusion, the card is reliable, but not close to 145 MB/S...I wouldn't recommend to purchase these at this point.
If you are in the market for a brand name CF, get the lexar.

**I CANNOT WAIT FOR A SSD INTERFACE!!!**

driftwood

I'm feeling better all the time for buying a used Lexar 128GB 1000x from an ebay guy for £300. :-)
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

Steven

5D3shooter

Quote from: Steven on June 14, 2013, 01:42:25 AM
How much is the Lexar 128GB doing?

I'm not exactly sure, but 64GB cards are supposed to be the fastest.