CF to CF-RAID

Started by AnotherDave, June 13, 2013, 07:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

I'm just throwing this out there since I haven't seen any threads mentioning it before...

What about a CF to CF-RAID instead of trying to adapt the CF card to SSD?

*I don't know how to accomplish this, it's just an idea.  But it seems like it would be lighter to have 2 or 4 raided CF cards than even 1 SSD. 

5D3shooter

That idea would be cool until you consider that you can buy a 512GB SSD for about the same price we're paying for 64GB-128GB CF Cards.
We need the SSD solution.

AnotherDave

And, an SSD solution sounds cool until you consider the fact that CF cards are smaller and lighter.

Either option will require additional power, but a CF-Raid solution is something that could probably fit in something the size of a battery grip.

5D3shooter

It just seems like more of a step backward than forward, no offense.  Most people are using shoulder rigs and mounting an SSD to it would not be a big deal.  It would be even lighter than an EVF, etc.  The workflow with an SSD would be so much better too because you can plug that baby into the computer via SATA and get ~500MB/S speed.  CF Cards will have to go through USB(3.0)/FW and will be much slower to work with,  and when you're dealing with these huge file sizes that can be really important.