RAW Anamorphic Shooting

Started by MichaelRees, June 11, 2013, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelRees

Hey guys. I'm very new here, but I have some questions...

Okay let me preface this by saying that I intend to shoot a feature film soon. Here it goes:

What would it entail to shoot RAW Anamorphic footage with the 5DM3. I'll be more specific.

First, has anyone here shot with the Panasonic Anamorphic Adapter? How is the experience? Is it a better option than say getting a Lomo or Iscorama? Second, with Magic Lantern, is it possible to use the adapter and set custom resolutions that crop according to the adapter while still in camera. Third, can the 5d shoot in 2K raw reliably now, and how would that affect the anamorphic adapter or lenses.

I'm essentially just on the fence about going anamorphic though I love it.

Also, if any of you are interested, here is a recent short that I made.

Thanks again. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

mkrjf

Anamorphic usually assumes 4:3 aspect, right? So would you use 1920x1280 crop mode? and then use like 1800x1280?
What lenses were you thinking of? super35 anamorphic leveraging center cut of crop mode or 35mm anamorphic $$$?
Any other people using anamorphic lenses with 5DMk3 / ML? would be interesting to hear their experience.

bnvm

Raw video and anamorphic are a match made in heaven in my opinion. I just got my anamorphic lens, it is an isocarma and it is quite large and heavy. I have it mounted on a canon EF 1.4 24mm - 105mm lens. Now the anamorphic lens is very long and will show up in the image if shooting less than 85mm.

The nice this is that with my 24mm lens and shooting ~4/3 (1476x1076) in crop mode basically converts my 24mm focal length to 72mm since I am only using 1/3 of the sensor. What gets cropped out was all useless anyway since it was showing the anamorphic lens and I can almost use the entire zoom range of my canon lense (82mm - 315mm). If I was not shooting in crop mode I could only use from 85mm - 105mm. Also since it is a 2x anamorphic lens my cropped video when stretched back out is roughly equivalent 40mm - 175mm so I have a fairly wide range of focal lengths to choose from.

The resulting video is 2952x1076 and can be shot continuous on my ProMaster 16GB 1000x card. I could shoot about 30 seconds at 3200x1200 in normal mode but as of now I cannot select resolutions larger than 1076 in crop mode. Hopefully that can be added.

The results look great, the only downside is that the two lenses combined are large and heavy, larger than a telephoto lens. I will probably have to work out some sort of bracing system for mounting the whole unit.

Midphase

You need to go and hang out at:

http://www.eoshd.com

and buy his books on both shooting with ML raw and shooting in anamorphic.

Andrew is probably the expert on that stuff!