Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm?

Started by Chungdha, June 11, 2013, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chungdha

The price for both are quite simular at the moment I can pick up the Tokina for 3400hkd and Canon for 3500hkd. The Tokina is faster with f2.8 and  have auto focus if I wan to use it for event photography. Mainly filming low light be great as Canon is not that bright and fast. But the main thing is I cant find any pictures showing the difference between 10 and 11mm if that is quite a different or not. But the Canon is lighter which be nice with steadicam like hague mmc as my current kitlens with wide angle converter weight around 354gram together. Canon 11-22 weight 386gram and Tokina wieght 548gram. Which of the two do you guys reckon be best.

The f2.8 is nice especially to film at night and low light conditions but I see allot of people talking about the Canon but mostly are reviews for Photography and not filming and with taking photo you can have slow shutter while filming its quite limited.

SDX

When it comes to quality, take a look at this comparison.

Without any doubt, the Tokina beats the canon in sharpness. Both are pretty equal when it comes to vignetting. Try it yourself and play a bit with the parameters and see the results.

Malcolm Debono

The 10-22 is quite a nice UWA lens for crop bodies. I had it for quite some time and only replaced it when upgrading to full frame. One of its main advantages is the way distortion is controlled for an UWA lens. Having an f/2.8 lens can be nice if you intend to shoot in low light, however remember that when shooting at the widest end (10mm & 11mm respectively) there's only a 2/3 of a stop difference.

Just weight out the pros of each lens and decide on which factor you want most. At the end of the day, both are excellent lenses and I'm sure you'll be pleased with whichever you get!  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

kgv5

You can use tokina even with full frame body. I bought it for my old 550d, now I can still use it with tje new 6D, it covers full frame at 15-16mm, when shooting cropped raw I can go even to 12-13mm. Great lens.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Chungdha

Gone for the canon now and suprisingly the f3.5 is brighter than f3.5 on the kitlens, plus the shops suddenly upped the tokina from 3400 to 4200hkd litterally 1 day difference they change the price, luckily the shop with the canon was less of a bastard and the extra 1mm is very much appreciated when I tested it in the elavator and fits just perfects if 1 mm less would not be able to cover the whole thing.