5d mark 2 won't detect firmware anymore & no live-view

Started by bigshave, June 11, 2013, 04:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshave

I put in a non-ML formatted card and started getting crazy glitches and no live view.

Images made with this card looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigshave/9010739603/

- I tried reverting back to original canon firmware(s) but the camera no longer detects and .fir files on the CF card.
- I tried different CF cards.
- Magic Lantern does not boot anymore.
- "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again." is what i get every time I try to install any firmware.
- Also get a busy warning on the camera if I put into different modes like full-auto.

Last time it my camera was working I used:
- ML nightly build May 19, 2013
- Raw camera Module

Does anyone know what I should try next?

Thanks,

Levinson

Hi.

Have you tried the usual stuff like leaving the battery and card out of the camera for a few hours?
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

bigshave

Hey thanks,

How long? I read someone left it out for 1day 1/2 and it was fine. I just tried it now, it's been out for 12 hours, but still no luck.

a1ex

Format the card from the camera.

Also, note that reinstalling Canon firmware will not remove ML.

bigshave

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried, still nothing. I need to figure it out something ASAP, as I need the camera for work.

bigshave

Last video I shot before my camera went out of commission...

Critical Point

Well, probably shooting RAW video overheats some component from the camera and eventually kills it. Just remember, those cameras although they support high writing speeds to the memory card, they were never meant to support writing at these kinds of speed for long periods of time, like is done when shooting RAW videos.
600D & GH2 / PC.

bigshave

This may be true, but I only shot twice with raw settings. It's hard to believe that a ton of people aren't having this happen if it's the raw video feature causing the problem. To me it seems the firmware program is corrupt and won't detect the .fir file.

hyalinejim

I am having identical problems to you with my 5D2, except I never shot RAW on my camera. Did you ever find a solution?

g3gg0

a bit too late, but still has to be answered:

Quote from: Critical Point on June 14, 2013, 10:42:45 PM
Well, probably shooting RAW video overheats some component from the camera and eventually kills it. Just remember, those cameras although they support high writing speeds to the memory card, they were never meant to support writing at these kinds of speed for long periods of time, like is done when shooting RAW videos.

wait... you are talking about it as if it would cause problems?
my experience is different from yours.

the highest power dissipation comes from live view mode.
sensor, CPU and ADCs consume the most power on these cameras.
writing to flash is just consuming 50mA which is not even worth mentioning.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Doyle4

Quote from: Critical Point on June 14, 2013, 10:42:45 PM

Shooting H.264 makes the 5Dmkii get hot... i cant see RAW been the problem..

Doyle4

Quote from: bigshave on June 11, 2013, 04:14:19 AM
I put in a non-ML formatted card and started getting crazy glitches and no live view.

Images made with this card looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigshave/9010739603/

- I tried reverting back to original canon firmware(s) but the camera no longer detects and .fir files on the CF card.
- I tried different CF cards.
- Magic Lantern does not boot anymore.
- "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again." is what i get every time I try to install any firmware.
- Also get a busy warning on the camera if I put into different modes like full-auto.

Last time it my camera was working I used:
- ML nightly build May 19, 2013
- Raw camera Module

Does anyone know what I should try next?

Thanks,

Have you reset camera to default in menu and cleared all settings?

wild05kid05

I can confirm this is real. Just happen to mine. Went to beach and shot in camera video only (not raw). Came back today and it is exactly what the OP describes.

Even worse, in Review Display, something is wrong with the screen. However not in Menu Display