Nightly builds with Raw recording support - General Discussion

Started by Audionut, June 11, 2013, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 08:53:19 PM
The black bar doesn't look very well, did you enable anything related to ADTG?

I've just tried with 3ecd254bdba1 (didn't update to latest stuff yet) and these 3 resolutions look normal here, without any black border. Focus box was perfectly centered; the focus box snap trick was not enabled.
What would I have to select to enable anything related to ADTG?
I was using the 3ecd254 build, built by Lourenco.
Could this have been caused by the latest 0.13 Mac gui of Raw2DNG?

EditI tried extracting the .raw file with rawmagic, and it produces files with the same black bars.

a1ex

That one is an experimental module for investigating low-level sensor parameters.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6751

Does the black bar show up if you play the raw video directly in the camera? (that's how I've tried).

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 09:07:01 PM
That one is an experimental module for investigating low-level sensor parameters.

Does the black bar show up if you play the raw video directly in the camera? (that's how I've tried).
I didn't select anything like that in the menu.

Update. I turned the camer on, clicked the magnification button(to go to crop mode) then I hit the joystick button in the center. When I did that, my view moved a slight bit. So maybe I was just off center when recording? Could that be a possibility or would it automatically center me when I clicked the center joystick so that shouldn't have been the issue?

Update 2: after going to crop mode, I hit the center of the joystick(which centers the image) and recording... same outcome Black bars :-(

aaphotog

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 04, 2013, 08:37:38 PM
hi @aaphotog - moving the focus box would be for a diagnostic test to see if different positions lead to a different number of black pixels on the right.  it may or may not have any affect.

we pay dearly for every pixel recorded, so we don't want to waste any precious bitrate on black.
for 2880x1320 looked like about 110 pixels of black (needs to be precisely measured)
110x1320x(14bit/8bit/btye/frame)x24frame/s -> 5.8 MB/s of black waste

here are some DNGs in which the black pixels could be measured.
2880x1320: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2040_raw2dng.dng
2560x1320: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2041_raw2dng.dng
2240x1260: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2042_raw2dng.dng
Im shooting 2.35:1
I cropped the black bars from the image so all I have are the black bars. It might not be EXACT, but this is what the bar measures on the 2240x954 image 110(wide)x954(tall)

the black bar in the first image you posted looks to be 110 as well( I didn't download the others). are these your photos? If so, how did you fix it?

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 08:53:19 PM
The black bar doesn't look very well, did you enable anything related to ADTG?

I've just tried with 3ecd254bdba1 (didn't update to latest stuff yet) and these 3 resolutions look normal here, without any black border. Focus box was perfectly centered; the focus box snap trick was not enabled.
haven't enabled (to my knowledge) any ADTG or other debug settings.
for these shots had default values.
Preferences-> Focus Box Settings -> Snap Points -> Center (off)
will try the 5x zoom setting.

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 09:07:01 PM

Played back in camera. I cant be SURE(the edges are black either way where the picture isnt), but it does look like it plays back with the black bars IN camera. I dont see ANY black on the left side of the picture, but I DO see black on the right side, top, and bottom(it should show black on top and bottom)

a1ex

Can you take a silent picture in that mode?

Also take a screenshot so I can see the focus box position.

aaphotog

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 04, 2013, 09:28:40 PM
haven't enabled (to my knowledge) any ADTG or other debug settings.
for these shots had default values.
will try the 5x zoom setting.
Thanks for posting this. My focus box setting WAS

I've changed it to
Preferences-> Focus Box Settings -> Snap Points -> center to x5 RAW
and did a new recording. hit the magnify button, the hit the joystick to center(this time the box centered waaaaay left) and then recorded. I only played back IN camera, but NO black bar that I can see...

Alex, I thought you fixed it a week or so back that wherever the box was, it would sample that part of the sensor and record correctly(ie foocus box in middle, would record  REALLY close to that and no black bar)

a1ex

Here, with focus box centered and Snap Points -> Center (off), it records without any black bars at these 3 resolutions. Even at max res (3.5K), the image is perfect.

So... I'm looking for a way to reproduce the problem.

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 09:34:12 PM
Can you take a silent picture in that mode?

Also take a screenshot so I can see the focus box position.
Which mode do you want a silent picture in, and how do I take it?

KMA_WWC

Alex let me know what to do too and I will do it. Since I'm seeing those black bars too (doesn't matter whether raw2dng converted or rawmagic converted). I've never really used 3x mode before, but not so long ago tried it and got same results as aaphotog. I can post screenshots and make even a video of the screen.
Canon 5D Mark III

aaphotog

Alex, could it be in my Raw module settings?

Resolution: 2560x1090
Aspect Rattio: 2.35:1
Preview: Auto
Digital Dolly: OFF
Frame Skipping: OFF
Card Warm-up: OFF
Memory Hack: OFF
Small hacks: ON
Playback

aaphotog

Alex, try this
turn on your cam load up the raw module with my settings as above.
now, when you go back to the live view(without crop mode on), hit the joystic button so that your focus box gets square directly in the middle.
then, hit the crop mode, now take a look on the right side of your screen(should be no need to even record). Do you see the black bar?
It seems when I follow these stepes I get the black bar every time, but if I move the joystick to the left some(while still in crop mode) the bar goes away. It's a bit odd.
Maybe later I can record a video of the screen with my iphone.

jpjp

Quote from: aaphotog on July 05, 2013, 05:45:42 PM
Alex, try this
turn on your cam load up the raw module with my settings as above.
now, when you go back to the live view(without crop mode on), hit the joystic button so that your focus box gets square directly in the middle.
then, hit the crop mode, now take a look on the right side of your screen(should be no need to even record). Do you see the black bar?
It seems when I follow these stepes I get the black bar every time, but if I move the joystick to the left some(while still in crop mode) the bar goes away. It's a bit odd.
Maybe later I can record a video of the screen with my iphone.

When you move the joystick 5 steps to the left from the middle in crop mode the black bar is gone, no matter which resolution you chose after that it's gone till you turn of the camera. That's with the 5DMKIII.

aaphotog

Quote from: jpjp on July 05, 2013, 07:05:49 PM
When you move the joystick 5 steps to the left from the middle in crop mode the black bar is gone, no matter which resolution you chose after that it's gone till you turn of the camera. That's with the 5DMKIII.
Ok. I was under the impression that Alex implemented something to where no matter where that focus box was on the screen, when you hit the magnify button, it would be able to record fine without issue.

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: aaphotog on July 05, 2013, 05:45:42 PM
... then, hit the crop mode, now take a look on the right side of your screen(should be no need to even record). Do you see the black bar?...
yes i see it as well. don't have time / gear with me to verify that when you see the black bar on screen you will get it on a raw video. (have loaded in the last a1ex commit based build 3ecd25)
Quote from: jpjp on July 05, 2013, 07:05:49 PM
thanks you - easy workaround - you could also activate and NOT use digital dolly.

does it seem to you that the right side black bar happens when you are exactly centered and going left or right the right side black bar goes away?
it also appears at the end of a digital dolly.

Quote from: aaphotog on July 05, 2013, 07:12:11 PM
I was under the impression ... it would be able to record fine without issue.
alpha open source software -  find and accurately report bugs - enjoy what you can get - test builds in advance for your specific photo/video application - be careful on projects. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

aaphotog

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 05, 2013, 08:16:10 PM
yes i see it as well. don't have time / gear with me to verify that when you see the black bar on screen you will get it on a raw video. (have loaded in the last a1ex commit based build 3ecd25)thanks you - easy workaround - you could also activate and NOT use digital dolly.

does it seem to you that the right side black bar happens when you are exactly centered and going left or right the right side black bar goes away?
it also appears at the end of a digital dolly.
alpha open source software -  find and accurately report bugs - enjoy what you can get - test builds in advance for your specific photo/video application - be careful on projects. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha
Of course, but I remember first alex set it up to where when you hit the magnifying glass, the box would jump where it needed to be. Then he put in place where when you hit the magnifying glass and recorded crop, it would be able to correctly sample the sensor wherever the focus box already was(maybe just a bit off but it would move on it's on) was that messed up in one of the last previous builds? I don't remember crop mode ever given me black bars, and I've NEVER had to situate the focus box to get a good crop recording.

aaphotog

Anyone build the newest nightly build from today for the 5d3 and care to post it?

a1ex

There were no changes relevant to this.

Can you record a video showing the camera screen?

aaphotog

What would you like for me to show in the recording, Alex?

There's something thats got to be wrong
I just recorded in crop mode again(forgetting about the black bar)
I pull up the clip graded and all, but when I went to play it back i noticed that the black bar was there on the right side. The crazy thing about it, was that on the first second or two of the clip, the black bar is NOT there? I never moved the recording area using the joy stick so I don't know.
Could it be possible that something is just wrong with Lourenco's build for the 5d3? anyone else have an updated build that they are willing to upload?

EDIT: Playing back the clip frame by frame 2 frames AFTER the black line shows up, the exposure gets darker(I think I did change exposure during recording) could this have something to do with it? The other videos where I talked about this issue in earlier posts I dont believe I changed exposure while recording though. Also, this time, the first couple frames where the black bar shows up, they have a few red vertical lines in them.
I converted this particular raw with raw magic

EDIT 2: nevermind the exposure change. I didn't change exposure, it was just lightning that was happening

aaphotog

It seems that all of the Raw builds have been updated except for the 5D3. Does anyone have a newly compiled build from today that they are willing to upload?

aaphotog

2 things I've noticed.
I am using a tablet as field monitor. But its hooked up to my camera(5D3) through USB.
One thing I've noticed is that I'm getting MUCH less frames at 2560x1090
When the tab is NOT connected to the camera, I get about 950 frames at that resolution.
When the tablet IS connected to the camera, I'm only getting about 320-340 frames
Any plans to make this better?

Also, when recording at 2560x1090, I noticed that after about the 3rd recording, I start to get less frames as well. Sometimes it's 100 less, sometime 2-300 less frames.
I haven't done MANY tests, but the few that I have, that's what happened. Im using Lourencos latest build.

jake badlands

BAKUP.RAW file when CF filled up.
At the moment of the exhaustion of place on СF - is obtained BACKUP.RAW file, last recorded file don't recognize with raw2dng/RAWmagic. What the matter?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztoenodfpurulcp/BACKUP.RAW%20file.png

jake badlands

Quote from: jake badlands on July 19, 2013, 01:51:38 AM
BAKUP.RAW file when CF filled up.
At the moment of the exhaustion of place on СF - is obtained BACKUP.RAW file, last recorded file don't recognize with raw2dng/RAWmagic. What the matter?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztoenodfpurulcp/BACKUP.RAW%20file.png

Already find how to fix the problem with HEX editor...
But entire problem remains: when CF completely is filled up - last file is corrupt.
I hope my opinion it will be useful.
Thanks!

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: jake badlands on July 19, 2013, 01:16:29 PM
Already find how to fix the problem with HEX editor...
But entire problem remains: when CF completely is filled up - last file is corrupt.
I hope my opinion it will be useful.
Thanks!

hi Jake, i have filled up several cards - 2 without problem and 1 with the issue below where the card was almost full at the same time the battery warning was flashing (lost a couple of seconds at the end of a 5 minute shot).  so in this case it wrote a correct footer, but had frame errors which crashed rawmagic.

is this a consistent issue on your camera?

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 16, 2013, 05:01:13 PM
Thomas,
thank you - rawmagic is working well. wanted to let you know that i have 1 clip (actually span of 8 files) which crashes rawmagic 1.0 beta 7b. please let me know if you'd like any crash logs, DNGs, or other information. the battery was running low as the card was filling up - so its not surprising there are errors.
raw2dng can process all the frames. the last 44 frames are corrupted in an alternating pattern of 80% good top image 20% pink followed by a frame 80% pink corrupted top portion with bottom 20% OK.

~/bin/raw2dng M02-244-concatted.RAW
Resolution  : 1920 x 1080
Frames      : 7532
Frame size  : 3629056 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 0.000
Processing frame 7532 of 7532...
Done.