Jakobmen

how do i pick 2560x1090?  i get not possible in current video mode
Canon 5D3

Audionut

Quote from: Jakobmen on June 28, 2013, 05:08:53 AM
how do i pick 2560x1090?  i get not possible in current video mode

Use one of the zoom modes.

advent2

I do not think rendering 25 at 24 is a solution.. it is often gives artifacts as frames are changed. It would be better to fix this bug in Lantern itself.. ]

Shield

Quote from: advent2 on June 28, 2013, 10:15:43 AM
I do not think rendering 25 at 24 is a solution.. it is often gives artifacts as frames are changed. It would be better to fix this bug in Lantern itself.. ]

Well it doesn't matter anyway - the audio was worse recording and rendering at 25p.  For a 4 minute clip, the audio was about 10 seconds short, and not synched at the beginning either - I had to move the audio about a second ahead in the beginning to sync.  Then it quickly went out of sync - seemed to be off 2-3 seconds easily per minute of recording.

Going back to 23.976.  Good idea though.

budafilms

Can we get 2k, I think is 2048 x 1080 resolution, exactly? In the menu, an option 2K

It´s an standard of movies, when you have to send a movie to a festival, and always we are changing the resolution - except you use an Arri or RED or sth like that.

dubzeebass

Question for lourenco mainly ... when I look at my Modules based on the June 27th build, the CF ACC one has OldAPI listed.  Is this an issue?  It seems to work OK but I just want to make sure it's all optimized.

regnis

Hi guys, I am new to all this and have searched but am not finding the exact answers i'm after. So I have two questions....

1) How do i format my CF card to ex fat so i can record over the 4gb limit?

2) I just went to the latest build for ML raw 5dmk3 and am wondering if I just download the files and drop them on my SD card? Or do I have to download another ML version first?

KMA_WWC

Quote from: regnis on July 02, 2013, 11:06:54 AM
Hi guys, I am new to all this and have searched but am not finding the exact answers i'm after. So I have two questions....

1) How do i format my CF card to ex fat so i can record over the 4gb limit?

2) I just went to the latest build for ML raw 5dmk3 and am wondering if I just download the files and drop them on my SD card? Or do I have to download another ML version first?

Wrong thread! You can find all information in sticky threads in the same RAW section. You just have to look better.
Canon 5D Mark III

rhogggi

I'm getting an issue with judder on the first 4-6 frames on my 1920x1080 23.976fps recordings using both June 25th and 27th builds. It can be fixed manually but it's a pain to do it.

It's not just on the first recordings - it's on many, but not quite all, of the recordings I'm making. I guess unless there's a lot of movment at the start of the clip I'm not seeing it or bothered by it.

I'm using 1000x Lexar 32GB card that I've benchmarked above 90MB/s in 24p mode with GD on.

I'm using the latest raw2dng to convert to .dng.

An example raw file is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nxghy5rtfc4lnz/oQLgEHG8Ay

GregoryOfManhattan

using same 3ecd254bdba1 (a1ex last commit) hudson/unified code
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/3ecd254bdba1907110eb72a98b2b9aeb2785a3a5
on 50D and 5D3 -
how come ML Grayscale looks so much better on the 50D ?
on 5D3 ML Grayscale is blocky and pixelated (so bad i am forced to go to 10x to focus).
on 50D, the display is Canon color until record then a smooth grayscale image.

also, couldn't get digital dolly to work on either camera with it enabled. strangely joystick could pan albeit jerky when digital dolly was disabled. perhaps i am missing a setting.

a1ex

That means it's not working on 50D and falls back to Canon display ;)

ML grayscale is for correct framing only, not for focusing. Press half-shutter for best quality. If you can make it faster, feel free to do so.

GregoryOfManhattan

thanks for the info.
5D3 when in ML Grayscale
half shutter press is showing the Canon info display (at bottom exposure iso setting) - not disabling the the Grayscale

btw - tried the auto-ettr and flicker free sidecars for a timelapse and it worked very well.
you have a real achievement in camera software design with these features.
https://vimeo.com/69576183
waiting for clear skies at night this is a test dawn sequence where i adjusted the focus, framing and aperture.
(wanted to try workflow and evaluate location)

GregoryOfManhattan

5D3 (unified.80e3ca539891) shooting greater that 2k produces frames with black right borders
2880x1320 ends up more like 2770x1320
if this is not a known issue and anyone would like DNGs of any flavor, left me know.

a1ex

Didn't change anything lately.

Maybe it depends on focus box position?

KMA_WWC

I have same results/thing/issues when shooting in a crop mode greater than 2K. I didn't really freak out about it since I thought that's how it should be, right? Let me know if I'm wrong. I just cropped that black bar every time.
Canon 5D Mark III

aaphotog

Not sure if this happens in all crop modes, but I made a couple of recording in the 5x(3x?) crop mode at a resolution of 2240x954
I used raw2dng(mac gui 0.13 made by scrax) to get the dng files, pulled them into Adobe After effect, I have a black bar at the right of the image as seen below. This is for every clip recorded at this resolution. Not sure if it happens in higher resolutions or not. BUT, when I record WITHOUT crop mode, at the 1920x818 resolution everything is fine. So, I'm not sure if this issue is to do with the crop mode, or the higher than 1080 resolution. Any ideas?

PS. I used FPS override set to 23.976

mageye

@aaphotog

Maybe this doesn't answer the question; but I see you have several different compositions there. Are you sure you haven't used the comp settings from another imported file on one recorded with a smaller frame dimension?

If I am totally on the wrong track here just ignore my stupidity! ::)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

aaphotog

Quote from: mageye on July 04, 2013, 04:39:23 PM
@aaphotog

Maybe this doesn't answer the question; but I see you have several different compositions there. Are you sure you haven't used the comp settings from another imported file on one recorded with a smaller frame dimension?

If I am totally on the wrong track here just ignore my stupidity! ::)
ill double check it, but I imported each clip seperately, then right clicked on each and selected(create new composition from this file) so each comp should have been created based on the dngs it was created from. In theory at least, right?

Edit: just opened one of the DNGs from the clip with the black side, in photoshop. The dng even shows the black line in photoshop, so it can't just be my sequence settings.

PS. If it helps, the resolution that clip was recorded at was 2240x954, but it also happened at 2560x1090.
Does the 5d3 not have that wide of an area on the sensor? Could that be it?

mageye

I am on the 5DMKII and have not experienced what you are getting; so I have no idea what could be causing that? I feel fortunate that I don't get that problem.

Maybe someone else could bring some enlightenment? :(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

aaphotog

Quote from: mageye on July 04, 2013, 05:19:31 PM
I am on the 5DMKII and have not experienced what you are getting; so I have no idea what could be causing that? I feel fortunate that I don't get that problem.

Maybe someone else could bring some enlightenment? :(
I hope so as well. I appreciate your effort though!

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 09:27:40 AM
Didn't change anything lately.

Maybe it depends on focus box position?

OK - will try different focus box positions- still haven't used digital dolly - so i thought i'd take a large image and pan in post.

had been demoing raw video for some LA cinematographers who were very impressed with both 50D and 5D3.
they were running 2 5D3's in time lapse for this shot and wanted to know more about 2K - so that's why i'm trying it out.
raw->cinemadng(via rawmagic)->gimp (ufraw) -> jpg (no processing)

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: aaphotog on July 04, 2013, 04:44:34 PM
PS. If it helps, the resolution that clip was recorded at was 2240x954, but it also happened at 2560x1090.
Does the 5d3 not have that wide of an area on the sensor? Could that be it?
hi @aaphotog
in this example,
it happened at:
2880x1320
2560x1320
2240x1260

5D3 has crop mode maximum horizontal resolution of 3584 (based on LiveView) - so something may be off in the frame position or frame grab in crop mode at higher resolutions - moving around the focus box could affect this -so when i can test and report issue more precisely i'll do so.

aaphotog

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 04, 2013, 07:47:27 PM
hi @aaphotog
in this example,
it happened at:
2880x1320
2560x1320
2240x1260

5D3 has crop mode maximum horizontal resolution of 3584 (based on LiveView) - so something may be off in the frame position or frame grab in crop mode at higher resolutions - moving around the focus box could affect this -so when i can test and report issue more precisely i'll do so.
Thank you so kindly. When in crop mode, I didn't move the box at all before recording, should I have? I know it used to be a 17 up and to the left or something, but it's changed so much. I thought with the new hack, it automatically centered correctly when hitting the magnifying glass

GregoryOfManhattan

hi @aaphotog - moving the focus box would be for a diagnostic test to see if different positions lead to a different number of black pixels on the right.  it may or may not have any affect.

we pay dearly for every pixel recorded, so we don't want to waste any precious bitrate on black.
for 2880x1320 looked like about 110 pixels of black (needs to be precisely measured)
110x1320x(14bit/8bit/btye/frame)x24frame/s -> 5.8 MB/s of black waste

here are some DNGs in which the black pixels could be measured.
2880x1320: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2040_raw2dng.dng
2560x1320: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2041_raw2dng.dng
2240x1260: http://50.56.67.113/ml-07july13/M03-2042_raw2dng.dng

a1ex

The black bar doesn't look very well, did you enable anything related to ADTG?

I've just tried with 3ecd254bdba1 (didn't update to latest stuff yet) and these 3 resolutions look normal here, without any black border. Focus box was perfectly centered; the focus box snap trick was not enabled.