Nightly builds with Raw recording support - General Discussion

Started by Audionut, June 11, 2013, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

NIGHTLY BUILDS FOR 5D3 are now available at
Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

If you use Nightly Builds please delete all old files and replace with the new including ML directory.

Nightly builds for all supported cameras are also being maintained here : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

Some cameras are being developed separately from the main Unified build.  Some of those builds will have certain features available which may not be available through the nightly build.  You can explore the individual RAW development threads for additional builds; of course AT YOUR OWN RISK.

----------------------------------------

All general discussion regarding Raw recording.

The builds can be found in this thread

Please read through the many sticky posts here if you need information and help about installing these builds.
RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST

Current raw video capabilities - All ML cameras

PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide

(Auto) ETTR (Exposure to the Right): -- History & Beginners Guide

KMA_WWC

Latest build:
...and yes I searched before asking.

Any chance someone could explain me why does the raw rec window shows I record at 94mb/s at 1920x1080, 1920x1152, 1920x1280 even though theoretically the recording speed is different (for example when I choose resolution i want to shoot on, it still shows that 1920x1080 will be recorded at 83mb/s and the rest res in different speeds). Thank you!
Canon 5D Mark III

Audionut

I'm not sure of the exact details.  But I have seen other users posting about this, so you're not alone in experiencing it.

I'm pretty sure there was some discussion at the end of this thread.

a1ex

You get the card speed and the idle percentage (so you know how fast it can go). Do the math.

e.g. if your resolution needs 75MB/s, ML will write at 94MB/s with a 80% duty cycle, so it will not write to card 20% of time (idle=20%).

This trick lets ML estimate how many frames you will get on subsequent recordings, even at different resolutions.

KMA_WWC

Thank you both Audionut and a1ex! Now it makes total sense to me.
Canon 5D Mark III

Sthirasukha

New build June 10th(ed914b3) works fine.
1920 x1080 25fps works fine with global draw on (unlimited) except when raw zebras ON (130 frames only); For zebra, luma fast ON works great. As default ML set up is Raw zebra ON, check with Raw zebra OFF, it would go really faster.
Lexar 64GB 1000x card

Audionut

a1ex just pushed this.

QuoteSlowed down zebras while recording (should improve write speed)

Compile yourself or wait for new builds to test.

lourenco

Quote from: Audionut on June 11, 2013, 11:06:12 AM
or wait for new builds to test.

The wait is over! I just posted a new build for you to test.  You can check the Nightly builds with Raw recording support thread.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

senzazn12

Alex, you had mention that when recording RAW vid in photo mode with the new build that exposure is messed up correct? Reason I record in photo mode is I get about 5 mbs faster write speed compared to movie mode. In the build you said to make sure you put on exposure override when using photo hack. Does this help correct the exposure in photo mode? Thanks.

a1ex

I don't want to support this hack, and I'll disable it completely in future builds, for usability reasons.

If you can show me two videos of the camera display while recording, with CPU usage enabled (Debug: Show CPU usage: Busy tasks, REL), I may figure out what's the difference between the two modes and squeeze some more speed. On my 5D3 I don't see any difference, but it may be some Canon setting.

senzazn12

I will. Thanks Alex. Does changing the exposure overide to on fix the exposure issues wheb recording in photo mode though?

driftwood

11th June Build. Seems to be squeezing a bit more juice out of the write. Results shortly.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

a1ex

Maybe the card is just warming up, I didn't do any optimizations in the last few days :)

Doyle4

My Card also seems to be writing much better on the latest 5Dmkii 10th June build, crazy how dropping frames shown as made such an improvement! (not recording frames but the little bit at the top that tells how many are been written)

Is there an 11th June for 5Dmkii? not seen if there is.

Cheers!

sksmseks

I have a question

while 1080p raw rec , focus peaking works?? (5d mark3)

AnotherDave

Any chance we're going to get the feature everyone would kill for... saved raw_rec settings, and raw_rec at startup?  :-)

joyce

May I ask the developers to update RAW recording in 5D3 to enable this
CONSISTANT FRAME SKIP/DROP to match up the SPEED while SMOOTHLY RECORDING AND DROPPING/SKIPPING.

Option 1: Capture 1, Drop 1 (Take 1 of 2)
Frame 1 - Take
Frame 2 - Drop
Frame 3 - Take
Frame 4 - Drop
Frame 5 - Take
Frame 6 - Drop
etc

And also: Option 2: Capture 1, Drop 2 (Take 1 of 3) consistently
F1 - Take
F2 - Drop
F3 - Drop
F4 - Take
F5 - Drop
F6 - Drop
F7 - Take
F8 - Drop
F9 - Drop
F10 - Take, ... ETC

this to maintain smooth take RAW at 3592 x 1200, smoothly 10FPS (from 30fps, where drop/ skip frame consistently)
Than ;Dks

a1ex

epyonxero

Quote from: sksmseks on June 12, 2013, 01:03:52 PM
I have a question

while 1080p raw rec , focus peaking works?? (5d mark3)

Seems to be working for me.

aaphotog

With the newest commit of

5b666df   
xml_cfg: a module XML config save using mxml library

Does this mean that when I turn on raw video and set aspect ratio, when I turn off my camera and turn it back on, Raw video and the aspect ratio that I set before I turned it off should still be set???

platu

Quote from: aaphotog on June 13, 2013, 05:20:06 AM
With the newest commit of

5b666df   
xml_cfg: a module XML config save using mxml library

Does this mean that when I turn on raw video and set aspect ratio, when I turn off my camera and turn it back on, Raw video and the aspect ratio that I set before I turned it off should still be set???

No... appears that the basic infrastructure to support recalling module settings upon startup has just been put into place.  So far, only the Bolt module supports it.

Shield

backup.raw file?

I just recorded a 64GB file, and there is no footer information (June 13th build) but there is a "backup.raw" file.

Unfortunately I don't see any footer information in the file.

While I can repair this with my hex thread (need to update it now for 64GB files) has something changed?

Was running an older build (June 5 I believe) that automatically saved the footer information for me.

Shield

Something very screwy with the June 13th build.

Problem:  Recording 64GB files.
Short files are fine.
In two separate instances I recorded 64GB files. - I had to replace the footer on each.  Both had corrupt dng files.  Almost every dng file was purple/corrupt.

Using 24FPS (23.976) override, optimized for "low light".
Recording separate wav file.

Reverted back to June 05 build with exact same settings - 64GB file was fine.

Also, on the May 29th build I tried a 64GB recording and the footer was saved automatically.  Not so with June 5th or 13th.

Can anyone try this with the June 13 build?  Shoot a long movie, replace the footer with the info in this thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5732.msg50692#msg50692

See if your dng files are corrupt as well.

Shawn