Love ML's Intervalometer! Especially with rare lightning storms!

Started by Sherbert, June 11, 2013, 12:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherbert

I live in northern CA where lightning storms usually just stick to being in the mountains away from civilization. Last night however there was a series of storms that came through and blasted us with lightning from 2 in the morning to 6 in the morning. I didn't manage to do a decent time lapse of the event but I did get some pretty great shots thanks to the intervalometer feature! I uploaded them to my Google Drive account and it doesn't support embedding and I didn't want to have to re-upload the enormous files so I just picked out my favorite as a 'thumbnail' and hosted it somewhere else to embed it. Enjoy the full album here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzX3H2-eZ6FWM29ZX1J6UXhkd0E&usp=sharing

JoshuOne

Greetings. I love the photo, i was thinking when those storms came through that it would be awesome to have an unobstructed view of the sky and try to use motion detect to get some of the bolts. there was one huge boom at like three that set off car alarms all through the neighborhood, great job grabbing the light!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Sherbert on June 11, 2013, 12:40:23 AM
I live in northern CA where lightning storms usually just stick to being in the mountains away from civilization. Last night however there was a series of storms that came through and blasted us with lightning from 2 in the morning to 6 in the morning. I didn't manage to do a decent time lapse of the event but I did get some pretty great shots thanks to the intervalometer feature! I uploaded them to my Google Drive account and it doesn't support embedding and I didn't want to have to re-upload the enormous files so I just picked out my favorite as a 'thumbnail' and hosted it somewhere else to embed it. Enjoy the full album here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzX3H2-eZ6FWM29ZX1J6UXhkd0E&usp=sharing

Woah! I live in norcal too! I heard there was lightning, but never saw any. Thats an awesome image! Did you take it in raw or jpeg? With RAW you could really make a super picture out of that!

3pointedit

Hey there are some spectacular shots in that album! Great stuff. What settings did you use for lightning, as they look very clean?
550D on ML-roids

ipatton

Really a stunning shot!
Please, tell us more about your settings for this one.
Thank you for sharing  :D

Sherbert

I shot them in RAW, that was after just a little bit of fiddling with Lightroom. The settings I used were ISO 100, F/9.0, 8 second exposure. I shot it using a Tokina F/2.8 28mm-70mm at 28mm mounted on my 600D with a tripod of course. The shot was actually pretty over exposed - thank goodness I had taken it in RAW. I had left the camera out unattended like I said and as the sun was coming up it brought a lot of extra light which almost made many shots unusable.

Audionut

thefix

I love the intervalometer also, its one less thing I have to carry around or put batteries in. Nice results man!
600D

BartL

How come the water is rippled with such a long exposure time?
Is it because the thunderbolt works as a flash?

Amazing shot by the way.

winam

Canon EOS 650D ML, Canon EOS 1000D

http://www.rene-photography.de/

Pathpounder

Ripcord

Wow! Now I am excited to try out ML. Since I moved from Nikon to Canon taking some time to get accustomed to the camera. Hope I can start using the ML!
Canon EOS 60D