Canon 60D First attempt at videography (Magic Lantern)

Started by -[CHAOS]-, May 31, 2013, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-[CHAOS]-

I, professionally speaking am a photographer and have been for quite a number of years. So I thought its only logical to take the next step into the world of videography. Recently I have gone into setting up my own promotions company and did a simple promo using my Canon 60D. I know the video is vague, doesn't explain alot and it is relatively amateurish but in terms of the footage feedback would be appreciated. Thanks =]

Camera: Canon 60D
Lens: Kit Lens/50mm 1.8  prime lens

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

-[CHAOS]-

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

albert-e

-[CHAOS]-

Yea I know it is very amateurish but any tips on improving would be much appreciated.

Octavio79

namisaur

Since nobody else wants to be helpful...

Watch your color grading.  I see lots of loss of detail and weird artifacts.  Look closely at his hair and the bushes, there is definitely something weird going on.   Don't crush your blacks so much that we can't see any detail in the shadow areas.  Your shots are shaky.  The insert of his foot and the shot before it, and the shot after did not flow very well.  It kind of distorts the sense of space because I see the Closeup of the guy walking towards camera, see an almost profile shot of his foot, and then see a medium shot of him walking towards the camera, but that shot it  made it look like he walked all the way back to the starting point and started walking again. 

Also, keep your shots in focus.

What I do like: Shot compositions.  Overall, I think you did a great job at this.

Octavio79

Color grading in photography isn't that much different than with video. Something is definitely off. When filming there are certain things I always keep in mind. And in a way they are all the same things I keep in mind when I do photography. White balance, shutter speed, and ISO. Set your white balance, your shutter speed should be about 1/50 unless you want a different look such as a "Saving Private Ryan" look with a fast shutter speed. And your ISO shouldn't go higher than 1600. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I have only been doing this for about a year since I got out of the army. So even a dumb grunt can do this.

sogwac

I read somewhere that you should set your shutter speed to be approximately twice the frame rate ... so 29.52 fps shutter speed 1/60

24 fps shutter speed 1/50 and so on ... I use that to help set my manual light meter ... thus controlling f stop and depth of field.

-[CHAOS]-

Thanks for the constructive feedback was really what I was looking for. Yea over the past few weeks I have been looking at tutorials. I have learnt alot about the 180 degree rule and the only thing that seems to be effecting me is geting the right exposure. With photgraphy you can tweak quite a few area and adjust shutter speed or the apature but that all goes out the window if you want a wide depth or shallow depth of feild and as the 180 degree rule comes in play in video you cant really adjust the shutter speed. Been lookin into nd filters but a friend suggested that i get a decent one as a cheap one will render your lens useless. Like shooting through a standard window.