Bolt trigger module test results (bolt_rec.mo)

Started by dlrpgmsvc, June 09, 2013, 12:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tichro

Ooh, jolly good.
Would it be possible for you to upload this latest version with the timelapse feature somewhere?

mk11174

Quote from: Tichro on August 09, 2013, 06:28:10 PM
Ooh, jolly good.
Would it be possible for you to upload this latest version with the timelapse feature somewhere?
LOL, just did on my last post, sorry, I did not see this message first, hope it works for you too, the only cams I know it to work with so far are the 5D2 and T2i/550D and for you to have success you really should read my set up instructions to understand why the settings like shutter and FPS need to be set a certain way.

The way I have the module set up now though is to set everything auto for you as long as you already are in Canon 1080/30P mode, NOT 24P or 1280x720 mode and make sure FPS feature in ML is on and set to 15fps and Low Light.

If you do that and switch on Bolt Trigger it will set everything else the best way to make it capture bolts without scanline cut offs. It will also autoexpose in the best way to make it capture bolts, its a slower process, but only takes a few seconds once it finds its sweet spot it will keep it there. It has to be slow so it dont set off false trigger.

The way it is set up now, I rarely have to even touch the cam during a storm, very nice for sure!
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

Tichro

Hahahaa, no probs.
Thanks, just need a decent cell to come through now, had one a few weeks ago but I was away from home and of course I didn't have my camera (550D) with me.

mk11174

Quote from: Tichro on August 09, 2013, 07:52:58 PM
Hahahaa, no probs.
Thanks, just need a decent cell to come through now, had one a few weeks ago but I was away from home and of course I didn't have my camera (550D) with me.
I hate when that happens, always comes at the wrong time!

Tichro

mk11174

A cell that teased me while waiting for bolts, but none came, I used the timelapse feature I added to the bolt trigger to get a 6 sec interval of the clouds while it was detecting for bolts and used the added Autoexpose feature to handle the exposure during the whole cell passing, all worked fine, did not have to adjust anything for this whole time of shooting.

mk11174

Update to Bolt Trigger to work with new 3.0 API Builds.

Also needed to make a change to the trigger beep after getting a 600D and finding beep causes issues with trigger and the RAW Recording part of the code. I added the option to turn Trigger Beep off, which is a must for 600D, 550D and 5D2 have no issues, so if you notice any issues with graph spiking during recording and detection just turn Trigger Beep Off.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uh5ua38j36d83cq/BOLT_RAW_Sep_2_2013_Update.zip

nanomad

Hi, would you like to submit a pull request to bitbucket so we can upgrade the code?
Or just share the module folder and I'll update it for you.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mk11174

Quote from: nanomad on September 03, 2013, 11:06:16 AM
Hi, would you like to submit a pull request to bitbucket so we can upgrade the code?
Or just share the module folder and I'll update it for you.
Wow!! That would be great! I never bothered asking because there already is g3ggo's bolt_rec module which from what I hear works fine on the 5D3 and has pre buffering but does not work very good on the sd card only cams so I made this modified version specifically for Day Lightning with no pre-buffering to work with the sd-card cams, but it is still a bolt trigger and wasn't sure they would want 2 bolt modules on there and did not want to wipe out g3ggo's module because his seems to work on the 5d3 just fine and maybe other cams as well but not the 600D, or 550D. But thank you, here is the link to the folder since I am very new to the submitting part, I don't want to mess it up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dkjg3vjx3urrda9/bolt_raw.zip

mk11174

kazeone

wow I so want to try this on my 650D ^_^

RenatoPhoto

Dont have many bolts in the summer but finally I got some today!

Run around like a chicken with my head cutt-off.  Never used the the dam thing so I did not know how to use it...
Bolts were going all around me and nothing seem to work... 
Then I was laughing to myself, the king of "how to" guides did not know how to use it bolt_rec.mo
crap!  Bolts are slowing down and I am on page 1 of 6 going through 135 replies!
Tested this, and tested that and my 5D3 just seems to record and record and record (red light on) with no apparent buffer.
While I am reading the post, my camera was getting wet, then wind had changed!!  More crap!
Bolts are slowing down some more.. crap!
Bolts are gone!  Crap!!
After reading many post then I decided that this build must not be working so started going back in time searching for older builds that correlate with the time of the begining of the post.
Finally found a build that seems to do what I expected.  In goes back June 13 by Lurenco.
Crap all bolts are gone now!

So after this shitty experience can someone tell me why bolt_rec.mo in not working with the latest build with 5D3?
I have tried some August, September, October builds and none of them seem to work.

When this is working I will write one of those How to for dummies guides!  ;D

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mk11174

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 19, 2013, 02:04:10 AM
So after this shitty experience can someone tell me why bolt_rec.mo in not working with the latest build with 5D3?
I have tried some August, September, October builds and none of them seem to work.

Bolt_Rec does not work with latests builds because of a change a long time ago with Alexs change to buffers for Raw Rec, so its no good anymore, to use Bolt_Rec you need the really old Raw_rec to go with it.

This is why I made a custom module that combines both of those versions which I call Bolt_Raw, you dont use Raw Rec with it, in this module it is all built in. It is tested only on 550D, 650D, 5D II as far as I know and works fine, it does work on 600D but 600D has a vsync problem that leaves us with pink frames. I uploaded many pictures showing it works great when used correctly, I also wrote very good instructions on my process and this process will only work on the Bolt_Raw module, not bolt_rec and raw_rec modules

RenatoPhoto

Great!  Thanks for clarifying that.  In the middle of my frustration I read some of the post looking for answers and read your instructions and links but nothing for 5D3.

This is the typical case of something not working for a specific model.  I will be better prepared for the next time and will do some testing to make sure it works with 5D3.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

From what I gather, now that I have more time to read, this thread is for RAW_BOLT.MO and not for bolt_rec.mo.
If this is correct then I will modify the opening post and try to clarify the usability of YOUR module.

Well it gets more confusing.  So now we have g3g00 code and your code.  His code is represented by raw_rec.mo and it is in the unified and your code has not been merged and is provided as a download link to RAW_BOLT.mo

It appears that g3g00 tested raw_rec.mo some time ago and it worked.  I went back with Lourencos build of june and tested with my 5D3 and it seems to work with a flash setup but dont have any bolts to test now.  Are you aware of any other times that bolt_rec.mo worked and for what cameras?

Further more your module has been tested on 60D, 600D, and maybe 550D?  Are you aware of any other cameras that work with your build?

I will try to summarize and edit the opening post to clarify the situation.
Thanks

mk11174

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 19, 2013, 01:30:00 PM
From what I gather, now that I have more time to read, this thread is for RAW_BOLT.MO and not for bolt_rec.mo.
If this is correct then I will modify the opening post and try to clarify the usability of YOUR module.

Well it gets more confusing.  So now we have g3g00 code and your code.  His code is represented by raw_rec.mo and it is in the unified and your code has not been merged and is provided as a download link to RAW_BOLT.mo

It appears that g3g00 tested raw_rec.mo some time ago and it worked.  I went back with Lourencos build of june and tested with my 5D3 and it seems to work with a flash setup but dont have any bolts to test now.  Are you aware of any other times that bolt_rec.mo worked and for what cameras?

Further more your module has been tested on 60D, 600D, and maybe 550D?  Are you aware of any other cameras that work with your build?

I will try to summarize and edit the opening post to clarify the situation.
Thanks
My code is the same code as g3g00 just merged with the raw_rec version before the new buffer system was added which is when bolt_rec stopped working, alex put a note up that the new buffer system breaks bolt_rec module, g3g00 was going to update bolt_rec to work with the new buffer system but never got the time.

So it is pretty simple really, if you want to use bolt_rec, you just need to use the raw_rec module before the new buffer system was added, it worked fine, there is nothing wrong with bolt_rec at all when used with the correct raw_rec module.

As far as what cams work, I only know of the cams I mentioned because I have a friend that uses it on the 5D II and I use it on my 550D and have tried it on the 600D and another users tested it on a 650D.

Since my bolt_raw is the same exact code as bolt_rec, they both work the same except the fact that on mine I had to get rid of pre buffer because g3g00 and I came to conclusion that prebuffer does not work correctly with the SD card cams like the rebel line, prebuffer works fine on the CF cams though. So my version works on both types of cams just got rid of prebuffer code which is just fine because it captures the bolts just fine without prebuffer as you can see in all my uploaded pictures. And I also added many features that I find useful for out in the field that you will not find in the bolt_rec module.

I merged the raw_rec module with bolt_rec because I really did not like the idea of setting up for a storm and always having to turn on Raw Video first then the Bolt Trigger, so my version you just need to turn on Bolt Trigger and Raw Video is built in, yes it is the older raw video that works with bolt trigger but trust me, you dont need the new updated raw video to make the trigger work cause it only captures a few frames at a time during strike, nothing fancy is needed.

I don't know of anything other version of bolt trigger other then g3gg0s original release and his updated prebuffer version and also the version I put together which I call bolt_raw.

Only reason I can think of why its not in the unified is just because noone got around to checking it out to add to unified or maybe because there is already the bolt_rec module added even though it dont work with the current raw_rec, no clue, maybe code is not clean enough for the devs, I don't really know, I sent it out for a pull request a long time ago when I got it just right, but maybe they don't like the idea I merged the 2 modules, but I uploaded it here so others can have access to it at least.

Here is the last changeset of raw_rec before the new buffer system was put in place and works with bolt_rec
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/8bb13a5e7c6d010a020f62e81d2ef17c92334299

And the bolt_rec already in unified is the latest of bolt_rec with prebuffer but of coarse is only good on the cf card cams.

On my 550D it would have a mind of its own and record on and on randomly and the prebuffer was not saving correctly, it actually saved every frame but the strike, g3g00 found it had to do with the amount of buffers available for the camera, not enough.

So I reverted the the bolt_rec right before pre buffering was added.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/d45dc257e9279f2dbcb1ade5369d995b4f3213b2

And the raw_rec that works with it.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/1a5a6b51d145f9441c6101ad3aec1e66fbeada54

These are the 2 I merged into the bolt_raw module and just added features of my own but there only add on features, they dont effect the main code of bolt_rec or raw_rec

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mk11174 on October 19, 2013, 02:52:19 PM
These are the 2 I merged into the bolt_raw module and just added features of my own but there only add on features, they dont effect the main code of bolt_rec or raw_rec

I like your idea of merging the two to a working module so that if raw_rec changes then the bolt module is not affected!

I tried your merged module in my 5D3 but it did not load properly, I got error: error: undefined symbol"shoot_malloc" and "shoot_free"

Is there any chance that you could do a pull request for the bolt_raw.mo  to the unified and hopefully work together to bring your work into the unified?

mk11174

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 19, 2013, 06:24:02 PM
I like your idea of merging the two to a working module so that if raw_rec changes then the bolt module is not affected!

I tried your merged module in my 5D3 but it did not load properly, I got error: error: undefined symbol"shoot_malloc" and "shoot_free"

Is there any chance that you could do a pull request for the bolt_raw.mo  to the unified and hopefully work together to bring your work into the unified?
The module in here is a bit out of date, I can upload the newest one that I use and is up to date with unified. Or if you can compile just clone my repo to get the bolt_raw folder and then compile it with your repo that you use with your cam.

Here is the updated module.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/bolt_raw.mo

Here is the module folder if you want to add it to your repo to compile in case my version wont load in your camera.
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/bolt_raw.zip

RenatoPhoto

RenatoPhoto

Ran some test with 15fps with low light option.  It recorded the flash only about one of every ten was cut off.

I thought that this had some kind of buffer that captured the before and after frames?

mk11174

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 19, 2013, 10:56:22 PM
Ran some test with 15fps with low light option.  It recorded the flash only about one of every ten was cut off.

I thought that this had some kind of buffer that captured the before and after frames?
No, this is the version without pre buffer like I mentioned earlier, if you want the one with pre buffer which only seems to work on the CF card cams then you need to use the raw_rec and the bolt_rec from the links I mention earlier, you will need to clone those versions to your repo and compile the raw_rec and bolt_rec from it and use those modules together. Well you can just use the bolt_rec tat is in the unified, that has the prebuffer, you just need the raw_rec to work with it.

I assume since all versions work on the 5D Mark II that my friend has I would think they would work on the 5D 3 just as well. gg3g0 did not get to test it much with his 5D3 but he said some lazer tests worked fine with it.

RenatoPhoto

Ok, understood.  Your system seems to work fine now I need some bolts..

In the mean time I will try now to check out the other option with the buffer thing.

mk11174

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 19, 2013, 11:24:10 PM
Ok, understood.  Your system seems to work fine now I need some bolts..

In the mean time I will try now to check out the other option with the buffer thing.
I will compile and upload the raw_rec and bolt_rec modules with pre buffer so its on here if anyone wants them.

hookah

Uhh.. maybe i could use this module to convert my old 8mm film to digital without the rolling shutter thing. !!! - just need to slow down my Cine player..  8)
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mk11174 on October 19, 2013, 11:33:14 PM
I will compile and upload the raw_rec and bolt_rec modules with pre-buffer so its on here if anyone wants them.
I am trying the old build from Lourenco for 5D3 of June 13th.  This one works with the buffer, it saves the frames before and after.  With a flash test there is not a lot of value of the other frames but it seems like it should record fine.