Trying to get along with Auto ETTR, now wondering of how using it in hd scenery

Started by sutobe, June 09, 2013, 12:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutobe

Hey,

since Auto ETTR now seems to work on the 550D I was giving it a shot.

first, yes, I read the tutorial. I use Halfshutter Double Click to set it off. Now I am wondering, let's say you want to shoot something in a room, bright daylight outside, and the window with the high exposed outside environment appears in the LV screen.

I don't want to make an HDR in this situation, just trying to let Auto ETTR do the metering so I can hopefully get the last bit of information in the RAW file.

What Auto ETTR does when there is something really overexposed in the LV screen (according to RAW Zebras), is it's exposing the bright object (in this case the window) as good as it can but underexposes the rest of the room, which isn't really the effect I was aiming for.

I literally have to set up the situation in a way that the window doesn't appear on the LV screen.

I hope it's clear what I mean. If anyone wants to clarify it for me, please keep it simpel, I am no programmer or such.

Thanks!
Tobi
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

a1ex

You need to tell it that you are OK with a bit of overexposure (for example, clip the green channel or clip 10% of pixels or whatever).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6299

Or just adjust the exposure manually, based on the hint and overexposure warnings.

sutobe

Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Audionut

Quote from: sutobe on June 09, 2013, 12:05:15 AM
I literally have to set up the situation in a way that the window doesn't appear on the LV screen.

That's going to be the quickest way, without having to manually find the best Auto ETTR settings to compensate for the window.
IMO, you're using the wrong tool for the job.  Use Raw zebras instead.