How to record sound 5d3?

Started by ilia, June 08, 2013, 04:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia

Is there a setting to get raw video on CF card running ML Raw, and to record a wav file on SD card? When I try with Lexar 32gb 1000x and SD card, can only get about 30 frames. With newest build I just tried, I get raw files on both CF and SD cards with wav files on SD.  Also, when I plug in Rode Videomic into 5d3 can only get 37 frames even if I turn off sound recording.

ewinemiller

Here's what I have set up. In the Record func+card/folder sel. menu (regular menu, not ML menu), set Record func. to Standard. That will keep it from switching on you and not try to write to both cards. Set Record/play to 1 so that your compact flash is selected as your primary card.

Having said that, the current Separate WAV recording doesn't work particularly well right now. It appears to start a few frames away from where the video does, only records in mono, experiences dropouts, and there seems to be stretching required to make it line up. There's a thread in the processing forum that chats about it a bit.

I'm sure the ML folks will get it straightened out eventually, but I went out and bought a Zoom H1 and just record audio using that. It's about ~$100 new and I saved myself hours of twiddling with the internal audio to get it right. It's got a couple of mics on it, but if you've already got a good mic, it can just be a recorder too. Synchronizing was a breeze using the Synch Beep option in the RAW menu.

Good luck.

Shield

Quote from: ilia on June 08, 2013, 04:50:22 AM
Is there a setting to get raw video on CF card running ML Raw, and to record a wav file on SD card? When I try with Lexar 32gb 1000x and SD card, can only get about 30 frames. With newest build I just tried, I get raw files on both CF and SD cards with wav files on SD.  Also, when I plug in Rode Videomic into 5d3 can only get 37 frames even if I turn off sound recording.

Sounds like you have card 2 set as the default (the SD card).  Happens to me quite often; switch to card 1.