5d mark ii or 6d - which should i buy for raw?

Started by Chazo, June 11, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazo

Hey everyone! First off HUGE thank you to the entire magic lantern team! I have used ML on all my projects for the past year and have loved every minute of it!

Anyways...

I currently own a t3i and have done some raw tests and love the dynamic range - but not so much the resolution, and I have been planning on upgrading anyways.

With the advent of RAW, I am considering a new 6d or a used 5d mark ii- the mark iii is out of my price range.

Which one should I get?

as far as I am aware the 5dmii can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1880x800 continuous RAW, where as the 6d is somewhere
around 1600x600 (correct me if I'm wrong.)
the 6d is limited to 40mb/s where as the 5d is 60mb/s

and if it helps any, for my purposes I only need around 50-100 seconds of recording time - I shoot short films and scripted narratives etc

but the 6d uses cheaper SD cards which is a plus and the camera its self is newer (and i would buy new which is great) and it has better low light preformance

lastly i feel that if i need to resell to get a better camera later, (like in a year or two after NAB) it would be easier with the 6d than the 5dmii(being its nearly 5 years old and all)

i guess my real question is - I know Raw is still in its infancy and I super appreciate the dedication and work put into this, but I'm curious - how much can be improved down the road for the 6d vs the 5d mark ii. In the long run, which one is the better choice? I am price conscious, but image quality is my top priority

Thanks all!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Chazo on June 11, 2013, 10:10:08 PM
Hey everyone! First off HUGE thank you to the entire magic lantern team! I have used ML on all my projects for the past year and have loved every minute of it!

Anyways...

I currently own a t3i and have done some raw tests and love the dynamic range - but not so much the resolution, and I have been planning on upgrading anyways.

With the advent of RAW, I am considering a new 6d or a used 5d mark ii- the mark iii is out of my price range.

Which one should I get?

as far as I am aware the 5dmii can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1880x800 continuous RAW, where as the 6d is somewhere
around 1600x600 (correct me if I'm wrong.)
the 6d is limited to 40mb/s where as the 5d is 60mb/s

and if it helps any, for my purposes I only need around 50-100 seconds of recording time - I shoot short films and scripted narratives etc

but the 6d uses cheaper SD cards which is a plus and the camera its self is newer (and i would buy new which is great) and it has better low light preformance

lastly i feel that if i need to resell to get a better camera later, (like in a year or two after NAB) it would be easier with the 6d than the 5dmii(being its nearly 5 years old and all)

i guess my real question is - I know Raw is still in its infancy and I super appreciate the dedication and work put into this, but I'm curious - how much can be improved down the road for the 6d vs the 5d mark ii. In the long run, which one is the better choice? I am price conscious, but image quality is my top priority

Thanks all!

For stills they're both great. In low light though in all situations the 6D beats the living pants off the 5d mark ii. In terms of most all other features the 6d is also better. Refer to this video for a comparison:

As far as raw video comes the 5d mark ii is a lot better in terms of resolution. Moire and aliasing are the same. 5D Mark III is the only exception to this with all cameras because it has a built in aliasing and moire filter.