5D Mark II Crashes after installation of ML2.3

Started by z1ggy, June 08, 2013, 03:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z1ggy

Thought I would share a recent experience which may or may not be directly related to the installation of ML 2.3 on a Canon 5D Mark II.

Any feedback on this or similar events experienced by others much appreciated - especially if you have a solution! The following sequence of events may be either a ML 2.3 issue, a 5D Mark II hardware / electronics issue or both. I'll let you make up your own mind about the timing.........

Apologies for the 'war & piece', but this may be useful.....I hope so anyway:

Canon 5D Mark II running firmware version 2.1.2:

- 06/06/2013 a.m.: Installed ML 2.3 following the install instructions downloaded with the ML Install files. (i.e. Camera Formatted CF card (16 GB) with ML firmware in root directory / Factory settings set on Camera / Camera in 'M' mode / Fully charged battery / No accessories attached). Followed the firmware update process and got the green 'success' screen.

So far so good....

- Re-booted the camera, all fine, pressed the trash can button and launched ML 2.3 - all working and looking great! Very excited - this is a really cool firmware update!

- Decided to do some test filming using the FPS override function set at 3 FPS (Canon settings: Live view set to movie and stills Plus movie display / Full HD at 25 FPS) Lens Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8 L. All working well and play back looked great and even better on my HD screen in post!

- 06/06/2013 p.m. Decided to go out and do some timelapse filming of the Sydney Vivid lights exhibition (http://www.vividsydney.com) using the FPS override function again set at 3 FPS. Other settings in ML2.3 from memory: ISO 2400 / 'M' Mode / Liveview on Movie mode / Exposure Override enabled / Overlays - Zebras, Magic zoom, Histogram and Waveform / FPS Override optimized for low light.

- Shot 4 sequences which look awesome (happy to post if anyone's interested). During the 5th shoot sequence (lens was Canon EF 70-200mm 1:4 L), I depressed the shutter half way to de-activate the magic zoom function (half shutter press set for Magic zoom in ML Menu) and the live view screen went 'all weird', showing strange noise and interference effects. I stopped the shoot by pressing 'SET' and the camera froze - nothing was working. I removed the battery immediately and then rebooted........

- Great, camera turned back on but there was no ML 2.3 when I hit the trash can. Upon checking the firmware version where it previously read 2.1.2 ML 2.3 it now just read 2.1.2. ML seems to have disappeared.

- Liveview function does not work anymore (just the mirror goes up) and then the camera freezes. Also get 'ERR 80' message. Camera still takes photos but playback shows weird colours and balance.

- Have tried all sorts of ways to re boot (including EOS utility/ MacBoot to make CF card bootable) to no avail. Have tried to uninstall / reinstall both ML and Canon 2.1.2 but just get the message "Cannot find an update file" from the firmware update screen, eventhough it still exists on the CF card.

07/06/2013 - Camera now seems to be loosing functionality bit by bit and mostly freezes all the time.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? (apart from take it to Canon to get fixed which I am erring towards). Thanks for your time and consideration......

a1ex

First, can you try to use the camera without card? (see if it takes pictures and LiveView is working). Then, clear all camera settings and custom functions.

If all of these are working, try a new card.

z1ggy

Hi A1ex,

Thanks for getting back and for the suggestions:

Yes, have tried without the card and yes the camera will boot up and it will take photos. However, same issue presents when I try to start live view: the mirror goes up but there is nothing on the live view screen and the camera will not start filming. If I push the live view button again, the mirror goes down and then the camera freezes.

Also, when I view the taken photos in playback mode, I still get weird colours and red interference lines. However, once downloaded, the photos are fine on my computer.

Have also tried using 3 different cards.....I'm thinking it's a hardware / electronic issue at this stage, although it's not clear what's caused it. Hope it's not ML as it's great software and would like to use in the future, given its versatility. 

Not sure if you have any other tricks up your sleeve?

z1ggy

Have just been reading through a number of posts on the forum related to the 5D mark ii crashing and or bricking (in the new emergency section). It looks like what I have described above in relation to my camera, is not isolated with several other users describing very similar issues after ML installation, albeit at different time points. (I.e. live view not working, fuzzy playback screens, camera not starting, not able to update firmware etc etc - see original post for details)

A common theme when things start to go wrong, seems to be when people are filming (as opposed to shooting pics). I wonder if this is something that the team at ML are looking into regarding the stability of ML2.3 on the 5D MK ii especially in movie mode?

I do appreciate the fair warnings given in advance for ML and also the work that has gone into producing it. I would love to use ML in the future as I think it's a great concept, but would feel quite hesitant to install again given my (and it appears others also) experiences. Just a thought in the spirit of continuous improvement.....when it worked it was brilliant!

In the meantime, I've decided to ship my camera to the repair shop at Canon - thanks for trying A1ex. I'll update this thread when my camera comes back (I hope) from the 'hospital'.

a1ex

Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Back then, I've personally used ML 2.3 on 5D2 for two weeks, 2-3 battery charges daily, and had zero issues (no crashes or lockups or strange things). Sure, it was mostly photos, a lot of them in LiveView and a few clips with FPS override and timelapses with intervalometer.