Canon 600D 1080p h264 vs Upscaled ML 14 bit Raw footage

Started by N/A, June 07, 2013, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Stock h264 video vs raw upscaled. There's definitely some aliasing in the raw upscaled but the results were much closer than I expected. Seems to me that ACR Process 2003 upscales better.

Exposure changed in 3x zoom mode for some reason, but I wanted to leave the stock videos untouched.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Viente

N/A

vmsguy

I was playing around today with seeing the difference in dynamic range between h.264@1920x1080 and RAW@768x432.

It is definitly easier to tweak the image with the RAW source compared to the h.264 source.

I need a faster SD card, and more play time!
Brent

AriLG

Quote from: N/A on June 07, 2013, 11:17:55 PM
Stock h264 video vs raw upscaled. There's definitely some aliasing in the raw upscaled but the results were much closer than I expected. Seems to me that ACR Process 2003 upscales better.

Exposure changed in 3x zoom mode for some reason, but I wanted to leave the stock videos untouched.
Your videos at 300% :

H264

RAW (scaled)

I'm afraid he's right.

On my own tests (I scale in AE, through Cineform's codec)... it SEEMS OK'ish.... but I'm still not sure.

Color is there. no way around it. RAW smashes H264 (I checked with my KODAK color chart).

But we have to make a compromise with resolution (I can record 1024x432 continuous)... and noise (which is being magnified. try shooting an extreme DR scene like a bed lamp in a dark room and then pointing the cam at an open window on a sunny day. see what happens... you'll have to resort to apps like neat video and it is one more tier of processing).

I'm still experimenting...
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

N/A

Don't forget, you're also scaling youtube-compressed footage. I'll upload the originals tonight hopefully

vicnaum

What does 3x zoom mode give to h264 and what's the difference? (I can't see it)

N/A

1:1 sensor crop. No line skipping. Noisier at high iso's though.

AriLG

Quote from: N/A on June 08, 2013, 12:56:51 AM
Don't forget, you're also scaling youtube-compressed footage. I'll upload the originals tonight hopefully
OK.

BTW, how do you (read: anyone) upscale in ACR ? 1% said it's the best method.... I want to check it against my clips.
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

N/A

Highlight the whole frame with the crop tool, right click, custom, and type in desired resolution. Profit.

N/A

Here's the original footage, including the two stock .movs, the .raw file and the ProRes 444 I rendered from After Effects

https://mega.co.nz/#!zBIXSCBL!KEHtDiHaREfteelZ_1udjk2UZB5WeFfZmfFCDv0Noks

AriLG

Well... umm... I have DL the files... and, well, they look exactly the same  :(

Stock footage ran with WMP and ProRes with QuickTime. sorry man... still jagged edges. maybe more examples ?

As for myself, I've still yet to shoot RAW outside, only domestic...with ISO 400/640, testing color/DR/noise. as I was saying, DR is a smasher, color is OK  and resolution... well, I'll go to the beach and shoot sunset RAW and Stock... I'll inter-cut them (lets see IF they inter-cut) and hopefully I'll be a little wiser.  :)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

N/A

Hmm I guess Youtube compression has gotten better  ;D

But yeah the aliasing won't come out unless you run it through a specialized resizing plugin like PhotoZoom, Blow Up, etc. I'm also going to experiment with different shutter speeds and apertures.

DR AND color are so much better though. Try some skin tone tests. It gives people that healthy glow, unlike soul-sucking h264.

AriLG

Quote from: N/A on June 10, 2013, 12:00:32 AM
But yeah the aliasing won't come out unless you run it through a specialized resizing plugin like PhotoZoom, Blow Up, etc.
I'm not talking about aliasing, friend  :)

Just plain blowout artifacts.

Quote from: N/A on June 10, 2013, 12:00:32 AMAND color are so much better though. Try some skin tone tests. It gives people that healthy glow, unlike soul-sucking h264.
Wow, we have gone a l-i-t-t-l-e too far, haven't we ?...  ;D

H264 is far from ideal, but it is also not "soul-sucking". it was good enough for "24"  ;)

RAW is far more flexible but workflow is still not there (ie. easy copy-ingest-edit). also, there seem to be a clear distinction between 5DmkIII and lesser cameras as far as final result is concerned. but I believe that we will reach some kind of equilibrium.... sooner or later...
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

N/A

LOL yeah I like to exaggerate. I've got some outstanding results from the 600D with h264 maxed out, 3x zoom, great pic styles, but there was always something missing. I'll be upgrading to a mkiii soon of course, but the 600D will still have its place. Just like how TWD passed up on RED cameras to shoot on an Arri 16mm and Canon zoom.

But here's the big picture: I can shoot an entire commercial, promo video, music video, etc. on a 64 GB card with RAW video on a $500 camera, have the extra information to edit the clips adequately in post, and upscale it to 720p, which is completely fine for most uses.

;D