ETTR & The Canon C300

Started by AnotherDave, June 08, 2013, 02:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

Ok,
So I'm new to the whole concept of ETTR.  I've always slightly undershot to protect my highlights... but now this is raw, and that seems to change all of the rules.

When I first tried overexposing my shot in raw on my 5D3 and then compared it to how I would normally shoot... i was blown away! As blown-away as I was the first time I saw footage from the C300.

My only concern with ETTR was "how do I explain to a client that the image isn't really blown out???"... then a1ex pointed out that 'Image Finetuning' can be used to display the exposure lower (ML Digital ISO) and it wouldn't effect the raw recording.  I tried it.  It works!

I even tried recording some good'ol h.264, and the exposure compensation in 'Image Finetuning' worked and that image wasn't as noisy as I expected!

That's when it hit me...  this is what cameras like the C300, FS700, F55 are doing to handle the noise and why their images look so amazing. 

Well... now we can do that with the 5d3 too.

Lots of people probably already knew that... but I figured it was worth sharing my experience.

Happy Shooting.