Anti-Aliasing: Best Solution for Aliasing in Low Resolution RAW video Upscaling

Started by apefos, June 07, 2013, 06:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordillonch

Quote from: apefos on June 09, 2013, 04:33:56 PM
Hi, thanks for the video, I saw it.

When I open the 960x544 dng in ACR, in the same dialog box you have the resolutions, it does not have other resolution to choose. Maybe I am using an old version?

The same happened to me. This resolution doesn't allow upscaling. Try 1024x480. It will allow you to upscale to 2048x904.

apefos

Thanks!

I can record 1024x512@24fps no problem...

The upscaling from 1024x512 to 2048x1024 in ACR works, but it looks bad... lots of aliasing, the other upscaling options in this topic looks better.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Hello guys!
So, sorry for not answering until now.
What happens is that the people here in the forum is trying to find a software that is better but not studying what happens when using an interpolation algorithm.

If we read about algorithms, we see that there are different way to work with the image. For example: bicubic analyzes four pixels around and creates a new pixel around these.
What I meant by the test that asked them to look at was that, although there are many excellent software, today none can compete with the algorithm "Smooth-Spline" that is scientifically superior. He analyzes the pixels and creates 256 others, ie, retains all the details.

What anti-aliasing filters are doing is only give smooth the edges and then putting sharpen with a large radius, giving the feeling of being less aliasing, which is actually a lie. Maybe there are algorithms that read the edges and make a selective interpolation of these pixels.

Although I am not an expert, I would say the best is still the variation of S-Spline created by the PhotoZoom, the S-Spline Max.
See the software here: http://www.benvista.com/photozoompro

I'll do a comparison with all the other time software mentioned in this discussion.

apefos

I did a test now with the PhotoZoomPro 5 and yes, it is great.

the S-Spline Max Algorithm delivers great results in generic mode.

It deserves a careful comparison with SizeFixer and BlowUp3

Waiting for your tests...

apefos

This is the result from PhotoZoom Pro 5 with S-Spline Max in generic settings:

To my eyes it is not as powerful as blowup3 in anti-aliasing, but it is less plastic look, maybe a good balance:

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Yes, Blowup3 provides a result with a more "beautiful", to give the effect that I mentioned in the last answer. But, note carefully the right image in the lower right corner. In PhotoZoom can see the leaves entwining, now BlowUp3 information becomes confused.

I maintain my opinion that the best result we achieve is using S-Spline Max in combination with other interpolation algorithm for selective edges, for the purpose of anti-aliasing (the effect would be temporal also).

xNiNELiVES

Does upscaling actually make a difference in picture quality? For example which would look sharper: upscaled 1792x672 to 1920x whatever or just the original 1792x672. This is viewed on a 1080p screen...

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Please, see the comparison "PhotoZoom PRO 5 vs. BlowUp 3", here (download to see on PS): https://www.box.com/s/1f5xiflhlw4jxqueh5z5

Note that the S-Spline (PhotoZoom) offers better quality, keeping all information.
Now that we know the best algorithm to resize, the next step would be to find plugins for anti-aliasing. As rightly suggested Apefos the software Power Retouche can offer good results ... I could not test it because I'm 64bit and I have the 32bit version of Photoshop.

Anyone willing to test?

apefos

I saw the psd test, for my eyes both looks pretty much the same... only difference is one has more sharpening than other, if the amount of sharpening was the same, they would look almost identical... (I see a difference in the post shape also)

I am doing a test in a jpg sequence to render a video and see blowup3 and photozoom in motion to perceive it better.

As you can read in one of my early posts, I already tested the Power Retouche. It is very very slow in render time... almost impossible to wait... It is not improved to use GPU or multicore CPU. What it does is to find the edges where there are aliasing and smooths the edges without hurt the overall image. But the results are not so much different from PhotoZomm, maybe even worse. I believe if we use photozoom or blowup3 or even instanthd, the Retouche does not make sense... but maybe you can do some tests and try to find some settings which worth using it, apply retouche after photozoom to see if it makes difference...

I am realizing the amount of time and work to shoot raw video considering upscaling and sound sync can be a nightmare... maybe good picture styles in h264 fullhd with some sharpening and grading can be still usefull for easy and fast work.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

So ... I think we should organize it here.
What we are discussing with such software is basically resize and interpolation algorithms. The anti-aliasing filters should be applied after resize and not before or during the same.
As you very well emphasized, PhotoZoom has greater clarity, but not clearly false, but clearly "true" because it kept the detalher and that's what we want at this stage.
The second step, now that we found the best resizer, is to find an appropriate software to give smooth the edges. Since you already tested the software already quoted and analyzed the delay is a factor complex to handle, discard the effective use of it. I found other software that I think is appropriate, "PSOFT anti-aliasing" (see here: http://www.psoft.co.jp/en/download/anti-aliasing/ps.html).

apefos

I did a video rendering comparison to see the motion using a 960x544@24p RAW video from 600D.

There is no doubt for me anymore. Alien Skin BlowUp3 is the winner. No other can do a upscaling with aliasing free results as it does. also the objects edges does not tremble like in the others. the human face skin texture is good. The small amount of plastic look can be easily solved with a small amount of film grain simulation. It looks like it was shoot with a fullhd camera.

The tips are: enable defringe in ACR to remove color fringing, do the sharpening in ACR (30, 01, 10), do noise reduction in ACR: luma between 30 and 60, chroma 100 (detail zero in both), do the color and luma corrections as you like, render a 960x540 jpg sequence, import all jpg into LightRoom, and apply BlowUp3 using the batch processing (remove all sharpening from it, just enable 200%, or the upscaling amount you need), then render the upscaled jpg sequence into a video file with film grain applied to it.

BlowUp3 render times are faster also: 2,6x faster than PhotoZoom5. PhotoZoom, InstantHD, SizeFixer, PSoft and Retouche do not remove all the aliasing, and the residual aliasing from them is big enough to annoy the eye and small enough to be removed by another filter. For a perfect film look removing all the aliasing is a must and BlowUp3 can do it. Of course in some thin lines and distant trees BlowUp3 also leaves a small amount of aliasing, but I found these situations are impossible to solve. Also BlowUp3 residual aliasing in distant trees and thin lines is always smaller than the other solutions, and the film grain disguises it in a good way, giving an analog chemical film look to the image.

Also remember you can shot 1344x768 @12fps and 1664x944 @8fps in situations where there is not too much motion and convert to 24p with avisynth or twixtor. This just works good for situations with very small motion. 960x544@24p is the way to go for common situations using the tips posted here.

T3i 600D is a low budget "Magic Cinema Camera" now. The worrkflow is a little hard to do, separate audio recording, sync audio in post, long rendering times for dng conversion and upscaling, and so on... Due to this I still believe in good picture styles for fast and easy work in fullhd with sharpening and grading in post. Good to have all the options.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Ok, continue fooling themselves. If you really understand the process that would see the tutorial that just went completely flawed.
Seriously, sharpen before do resize? Come on!  :P

orac

Using a 60D, this is Instant HD on a test image with various resolutions: https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=N54zdFAzGro&vq=hd1080

Other than 5x mode (5 seconds only), aliasing is not acceptable to me.  The 5DMk3 performed better than 60D, but still unacceptable to me.  My cheapo Gopro Black at 2.7k 24fps destroys the 5DMk3 in resolution and aliasing. hehe!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: apefos on June 10, 2013, 03:25:25 AM
I did a video rendering comparison to see the motion using a 960x544@24p RAW video from 600D.

There is no doubt for me anymore. Alien Skin BlowUp3 is the winner. No other can do a upscaling with aliasing free results as it does. also the objects edges does not tremble like in the others. the human face skin texture is good. The small amount of plastic look can be easily solved with a small amount of film grain simulation. It looks like it was shoot with a fullhd camera.

The tips are: enable defringe in ACR to remove color fringing, do the sharpening in ACR (30, 01, 10), do noise reduction in ACR: luma between 30 and 60, chroma 100 (detail zero in both), do the color and luma corrections as you like, render a 960x540 jpg sequence, import all jpg into LightRoom, and apply BlowUp3 using the batch processing (remove all sharpening from it, just enable 200%, or the upscaling amount you need), then render the upscaled jpg sequence into a video file with film grain applied to it.

BlowUp3 render times are faster also: 2,6x faster than PhotoZoom5. PhotoZoom, InstantHD, SizeFixer, PSoft and Retouche do not remove all the aliasing, and the residual aliasing from them is big enough to annoy the eye and small enough to be removed by another filter. For a perfect film look removing all the aliasing is a must and BlowUp3 can do it. Of course in some thin lines and distant trees BlowUp3 also leaves a small amount of aliasing, but I found these situations are impossible to solve. Also BlowUp3 residual aliasing in distant trees and thin lines is always smaller than the other solutions, and the film grain disguises it in a good way, giving an analog chemical film look to the image.

Also remember you can shot 1344x768 @12fps and 1664x944 @8fps in situations where there is not too much motion and convert to 24p with avisynth or twixtor. This just works good for situations with very small motion. 960x544@24p is the way to go for common situations using the tips posted here.

T3i 600D is a low budget "Magic Cinema Camera" now. The worrkflow is a little hard to do, separate audio recording, sync audio in post, long rendering times for dng conversion and upscaling, and so on... Due to this I still believe in good picture styles for fast and easy work in fullhd with sharpening and grading in post. Good to have all the options.

Whats you're workflow for blowup? I can't seem to find a way to easily batch process all these images. I don't want to import to lightroom.

togg

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 10, 2013, 07:17:11 AM
Whats you're workflow for blowup? I can't seem to find a way to easily batch process all these images. I don't want to import to lightroom.

Same things here. Blowup plugin refuse to open "smart objects" :/

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: togg on June 12, 2013, 01:31:54 AM
Same things here. Blowup plugin refuse to open "smart objects" :/

If you want to make this workflow (I do not recommend), export the DNG in Lightroom as TIF or Jpeg ... BlowUp not support smart object.

apefos

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on June 10, 2013, 04:10:22 AM
Ok, continue fooling themselves. If you really understand the process that would see the tutorial that just went completely flawed.
Seriously, sharpen before do resize? Come on!  :P

I would like to say that I do NOT fool people.

The solution I found was tested and compared with all other options discussed here in this topic. I downloaded a trial and did a try in EVERY software discussed here. Even testing sharpening BEFORE and AFTER upscaling. The comparisons were made ​​in separate dng files and also in dng sequences rendering videos.

Sometimes it is hard for people to accept that someone else found a better solution and people starts getting jealous and speak evil without even testing before speaking. Maybe it is some king of unfair competition... when someone starts to say sh*t about other people's work in an attempt to undermine the reliability and credibility.

Then I recommend to each one to test all methods and software mentioned here to realize that the workflow I found is actually the best.

Of course as I said, it has a little plastic look, but with a small amount of film grain there is no better solution for aliasing removal in upscaling 960x544 to 1920x1088 and crop to 1920x1080, and the final results looks great, better than all other options, without aliasing, without edge trembling, without artifacts.

you need to do the tweaking in ACR as I said in previous post and export the dng sequence as jpg or tif files. you need to create a catalog in lightroom, and import jpg or tif files to it because blowup3 do not works in dng files. then select all and edit in blowup3 and do the batch processing with 200% upscaling.

The sharpening in ACR must be 30 / 01 / 10 / 00 or lower, more than this will hurt the image, see previous posts for noise reduction settings.

Sorry, modesty away for a while, but I am really good in what I do, and I do things in a very scientific way. thanks to all the peolpe who helped here in this topic, and I recomend people who starts to go on in the wrong behavior to rethink things.

I have some hard work to do now, so I will keep away for a while.

JohnBarlow

Moire is the patterns you see when focussing on say a loudspeaker grill, roof tiles etc.

The best way to disguise Moire is to break up the pattern

The best way to break up a pattern is to sprinkle random noise on it (dithering)

just sayin'

N/A

I agree with apefos. We as filmmakers strive to get the best quality from what we have. No reason to insult a man's preferences, this forum is here to help people and give us a place to communicate. If you disagree with someone, provide something to back up your opinions.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

AriLG

Quote from: tactzer0 on June 14, 2013, 10:55:13 PM
Description:  550D recording in crop mode (no aliasing from line skipping) @ 1024x448. All images processed through ACR/Photoshop. No noise reduction, no sharpening.  Applied lens correction and defringed all lines. Brought all frames into PhotoZoom and upscaled with S-Spline Max to 2K. Brought those frames into After Effects and used OLMSmoother to reduce aliasing from upscaling to 2K. Exported @ 50 mbps. 18-55mm kit lens zoomed all the way out.
That's really nice when you film your dog from time to time.... but when you have substantial amount of material, you might find yourself spending weeks just to PREPARE the clips to edit...

Thanks anyway, friend !  :)
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: apefos on June 13, 2013, 10:44:10 AM
I am really good in what I do, and I do things in a very scientific way.

0K, I stopped the discussion.

1 - If you really had scientific knowledge would not be giving sharpen before the resize. Apply sharpen before resize is a complete contrast, since you will be increasing the aliasing that is precisely what you want to withdraw;

2 - If you had scientific knowledge, would be speaking in demosaicing and not simple interpolation with Lanczos (BlowUp 3);

3 - Now directing me to the "N/A", I gave you a method that is clearly more applicable, just test it. The goal of interpolation is to conserve as much detail, and not take aliasing, you are confusing things.

I apologize for that, we are here to develop a methodology and not to "fight", but begins from the moment you say you have scientific knowledge, when in fact it is only random testing software, I'm sorry, but I think it is foolish and intolerable.

Test software based on "dcraw" if they want something to pay for something.

Kim.dh

The scientific way of obtaining the results you want in image processing is to change the parameters of your workflow in a systematic manner untill you achieve the best looking result. This is of course subjective, but isn't that what matters in image processing?

And it is great to share your results, so that other people can critique and improve on your workflow. What is not scientific, is to state what is "known" without showing anything to back it up. I have read enough scientific literature to know that statements such as "it is widely known"  is often found in poorly written papers.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 15, 2013, 08:34:44 PM
The scientific way of obtaining the results you want in image processing is to change the parameters of your workflow in a systematic manner untill you achieve the best looking result. This is of course subjective, but isn't that what matters in image processing?

And it is great to share your results, so that other people can critique and improve on your workflow. What is not scientific, is to state what is "known" without showing anything to back it up. I have read enough scientific literature to know that statements such as "it is widely known"  is often found in poorly written papers.

I understand your side. I'm sorry if I was rude, but I think what we're looking for here is not a result "subjectively beautiful", but something that can be proven, technically, be better, and the best is invariable and it is not subjective.
I think this is the purpose of a forum that works with programming and technical data as well-aimed. If not, please, let me know that, I walk away from it.

apefos

I found a review comparing four methods discussed here in this topic: Photoshop, Blowup3, Photozoom, Perfectresize.

It will be good for some real examples:

The review: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/resize-software-a-retrospective/

Image comparisons (click in the image to zoom in or right click and save as to download):

200%: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/200.jpg

400%: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/400.jpg

600%: http://www.tipsquirrel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/600.jpg