Anti-Aliasing: Best Solution for Aliasing in Low Resolution RAW video Upscaling

Started by apefos, June 07, 2013, 06:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Quote from: 3pointedit on June 08, 2013, 11:50:15 AM
Infact this is exactly how I shoot computer monitors at work. Often you find a moire effect when the screen pitch matches that of the camera resolution (a form of extreme brick wall). The easiest way to solve this is to back off focus just a little bit. But sure you get a little contamination in the blacks/edges.

Or perhaps, (if lighting allows) stop down as far as you can go, to introduce diffraction... I think that's essentially the same as what the aliasing filter does.

araucaria

Quote from: Roman on June 08, 2013, 02:11:31 PM
Or perhaps, (if lighting allows) stop down as far as you can go, to introduce diffraction... I think that's essentially the same as what the aliasing filter does.
I tested that on the 50d but it looks very bad as you get everything in focus and you start getting aliasing and halos everywhere. Best thing is to have just a few objects in focus and the rest slightly out of focus, this makes everything nice.

apefos

The optical filter have some advices to use in specific lenses and distances, needs tests... Maybe VAF-Txi will be better option, but I do not have it and do not know if it will be useful for 960x544 cropped sensor, needs tests...

I agree when the image starts to go out of focus the aliasing decrease and disappears. In low resolutions raw shooting a very small amount of "out of focus" can help.

I saw the algorithm test. I believe the Instant HD is different... I think it has some proprietary algorithm which corrects the aliasing in the edges and keep the rest of image untouched. In the same way the Power Retouche plugin does. I tested the power retouche, but the render time is infinitely slow and results are not better than Instant HD, (at this moment it is just 32bits, a 64bits version is on it's way), see:

http://powerretouche.com/Antialias_plugin_tutorial.htm

Here it is a 600D dng file, just some wires against the sky for aliasing tests, do your own settings in ACR:

http://www.apefos.com/upload/000240.dng

N/A

I found a cool one last night, Alien Skin Blow Up. Anyone used it before?
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

apefos

N/A

apefos

Alien Skin BlowUp3 turns T3i 600D into a Pocket Cinema Camera!

No aliasing, just NOTHING, NADA!

Upscales PERFECTLY, much better than InstantHD.

Only wires against sky shows a small amount of aliasing (much less than InstantHD), but this is expected.

Worth every penny!

(Just some advices: it is slower than InstantHD, rendering upscaling frames takes long time... and batch processing just works in LightRoom using still images, batch processing does not work in Photoshop, it does not work in video files also. My tests was done in jpg files exported from the dng, I do not know if it can be applied to dng files in LightRoom, needs tests)

N/A

I'll have to check it out then, that free one was crap lol. ACR was better.

I take that back, didn't realize OpenGL had to be off. Gonna test it some more.

apefos

wow, excelente results with defringe!

a review comparing blowup3 and sizefixer, maybe the new version of sizefixer is faster, the article is old...

http://photo.it-enquirer.com/2011/11/review-alien-skin-blow-up-3-vs-sizefixer-xl/

apefos

a comparison between sizefixer and blowup3. blowup3 is more plastic look, but sizefixer does not remove aliasing completely. add a small amount of film grain simulation can be a good solution for both, to hide the imperfections and bring a more analog film look. both are 960x544 upscaled to 1920x1088.

apefos

N/A

Blow Up with film grain would look great imo, too bad its not fot AE :(

apefos

yes, I already did a try, blowup3 with film grain is perfect! you cannot tell it was shoot in 960x544, looks like fullhd for sure. I think it will be even better if using the defringe in acr before upscaling. I used sharpening 30 / 1 / 10 in acr and worked fine, no need sharpening in blowup3.

sizefixer is a little bit better than instanthd, but just a little bit...

but instanthd works in after, so it is faster and easier to do.

maybe we could do a petition for Alien Skin to develop a version for after...

Doyle4

I found that importing the dng's into photoshop and in the Raw dialog box that opens at the bottom you can change the size, i found that when filming in 1280x720 and changing it in this box and then using an automate script to then descale down to 1920x1080 from say 2034 when upscaled in the raw settings box, it gave really nice clean results at 1080p ill try and post some results.

apefos

Please upload some screen shoots showing us how to do  it.  Also tell us the steps to find this scaling dialog box.

Doyle4

Sounds daft but how do i upload an image? sorry new to this forum.

Sure, if you like the results im more than happy to show you how, the samples also have no sharpening added, i left it as standard so you get the idea of what you get.

Doyle4

apefos

Doyle4

Doyle4

apefos

Hi, thanks for the video, I saw it.

When I open the 960x544 dng in ACR, in the same dialog box you have the resolutions, it does not have other resolution to choose. Maybe I am using an old version?

Doyle4

No problem,
Sorry its not a great tutorial, was just something quick for you.

I think you could have an old version, I'm running 7.4 or it could be that the resolution you are filming in cant be upscaled in ACR, i have some photos that wouldn't for some reason but again that was on an old version.