Microphones for RAW video recording?

Started by xNiNELiVES, June 07, 2013, 04:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

What microphones mount onto the Canon 6d and do not record onto the Camera's SD card but another storage source? With microphones such as these we don't take any performance hit with our write speeds...

ted ramasola

Link to specs at the ZOOM page;
http://www.zoom.co.jp/news/article/548

Not out yet but hoping its better than the H4n.  :D
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

N/A

H4n is good, I've used it on a couple projects. The onboard mics are rough, though; make sure you invest in a solid shotgun mic and dead kitty as well.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

xNiNELiVES

Thanks or the links guys it's perfect! When is the H6N to be released?

5D3shooter

Dang, that H6 is nice.  Swappable mics too—Genius!

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 07, 2013, 04:35:11 AM
With microphones such as these we don't take any performance hit with our write speeds...

Don't forget that you still need to record reference audio in-camera (if you want to be able to sync audio to your external recorder..)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

JoshuOne

Greetings, The sync-beep function inRaw module is more than enough for syncing audio from H4n. By the way, I have been happy with a Rode NTG2 for audio.
My two cents.
~JoshuOne

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on June 14, 2013, 03:43:57 PM
Don't forget that you still need to record reference audio in-camera (if you want to be able to sync audio to your external recorder..)

Its helpful but it's not necessary. Right?

And for the sync beep, for some reason I can't rap my mind around how this would help. Can somebody explain how one would use the sync beep to sync audio?

NedB

@xNINELiVES: The beep is timed exactly to the "shot time" of the first .DNG in the raw sequence. So you literally drag (in the timeline of your NLE) the external audio you recorded (you did start sound before picture, right?) until the beep lines up with the beginning of the first frame. Boom: synced. You don't need an in-camera sync track to match up to, as long as the sound recorder you use catches the "beep" sound of the first-frame sync beep. Of course, you have to keep track of what you shot and what you recorded, because if you shoot for awhile you might have multiple beeps on your externally-recorded sound track. Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: NedB on June 14, 2013, 06:22:02 PM
@xNINELiVES: The beep is timed exactly to the "shot time" of the first .DNG in the raw sequence. So you literally drag (in the timeline of your NLE) the external audio you recorded (you did start sound before picture, right?) until the beep lines up with the beginning of the first frame. Boom: synced. You don't need an in-camera sync track to match up to, as long as the sound recorder you use catches the "beep" sound of the first-frame sync beep. Of course, you have to keep track of what you shot and what you recorded, because if you shoot for awhile you might have multiple beeps on your externally-recorded sound track. Cheers!

Why didn't I conceptually understand this earlier?! Thanks for the explanation :)

Shield

Wouldn't it be great though since we have a camera that records audio to get a reference track to sync up with / have as a backup?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Shield on June 14, 2013, 08:40:10 PM
Wouldn't it be great though since we have a camera that records audio to get a reference track to sync up with / have as a backup?

Yeah it would be great but it saturates part of the write speed for the video.