Skipping Frames 1920x1080 RAW on 5D3 -- komputerbay 64GB

Started by Kraemer, June 04, 2013, 01:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLS105

I bought a komouterbay 64gb 1000x card getting 70mps max. Obviously i was getting sub par results. I bought 2 more
And im getting 90mbps. So there is a range of performace thats for sure.
When it doubt, dont waste too much of your time and exchange the crappy ones.
Take care

Levinson

Quote from: Dugdale on June 06, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
@Kraemer if it helps here are my speed tests for the same card on my 5D3 I can record 1080 video just fine for long periods of time.

That's an impressive copy you got!

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Levinson

Hi Dugdale - can you please tell me how you managed to get the "mode" in the benchmark to show "photo"? I've just found that doing the benchmarks in video mode versus lv photo mode versus playback mode seems to make a significant difference to the benchmarks, but I cannot get mine to show "photo" mode like yours - unless it is a difference in the build versions as I'm currently using today's build.

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

a1ex

LOL, do you know how to take pictures with your camera? That's the photo mode...

You need the display enabled, otherwise the benchmark will choose to play mode. These two give almost identical results, but it's unlikely to get these speeds in LiveView.

Levinson

eh?? you mean the camera can take a picture?

;) Yes, but when my switch is in the photo position the benchmark readout shows mine as "playback mode" not "photo" like on Dougdale's.

sorry, posted as you edited
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

a1ex

Press info to turn on the display before running the benchmark.

Levinson

Thanks A1ex.

Oops I'm a day behind in builds. I've been using ed914b3 which I thought was from today, but it isn't.

For whatever reason, with the switch in photo position, as soon as I run the R/W 5min benchmark, it displays the last photo taken and runs the benchmark on top of it. Pressing info doesn't seem to make a difference. I've reset config file etc. It continues to show the benchmark as "playback".

However; I've just updated to e31a2c4 (todays?) and now the benchmark is showing "photo". Go figure?

Update - In case others are having difficulty comparing apples with apples, the canon OSD must show this

and not the other canon info modes for it to show "photo" in the benchmark.

Much better in photo mode, all my previous ones were in video mode.

Immediately after formatting the card in the camera

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

EOSHD

I did wonder how the Dugdale Black Edition worked :)

I'm interested Alex, what is the technical reason for the live-view overhead on write speeds? Is it CPU or memory related? Do you think there's still more optimisation possible to get the 120MB/s people achieving with live-view off?

a1ex

amojahedi

Clean sensor on your 5d mark III then format your CF to exfat w security clean "slowest". Its working.

Shield

Quote from: Kraemer on June 04, 2013, 01:20:31 AM
Hey all,

I got the komputerbay 64GB 1000x card.  However I am not able to REC in 1920x1080.  it will either skip frames, or If I put it into "Stop" instead of "skip", it will only do about 128 frames before it stops.

If I downrez to 1280x720 it seems to do fine.  Wonder if I got a bum card?

Any help appreciated!  Thanks!!!

bum card

Shield

Looks like I've now even smoked the Dugdale edition card!

We shall now call this the "SHIELD" Black edition.

One thing I've noticed too - the SM2233AC seems to be much faster than the SM2233AB.

Kraemer

So regarding this Komputerbay card.....

I get the 2nd (replacement) 64gb card and it worked initially
for recording 1920x1088 RAW on the 5Dm3. 

The next day it did not work.  It was glitching out the camera
and wouldn't boot in the card reader (mac) or allow the camera
to boot. After dozens of mounting and un-mounting the card in the reader, 
Finally the mac recognized it and was able to ex-fat format it, but the
card is still crashing out.  My other CF a SanDisk 90mbs seems
to work fine on RAW recording at 1920.

Hello card #3. The guy I'm speaking with at KomputerBay has been very
helpful and easy to deal with anyway. 

Levinson

That's bad luck Kraemer. I hope it's 3rd time lucky for you.

Did the first one run okay on the Mac right up to the point of you returning it?

I would like to order more of these cards. The only seller I could find who would ship to Australia was on Ebay, and he/she barely understands what I'm asking them, so it's a gamble as to what I get when I order. I seem to have been very lucky with this first card.

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Kraemer

The first card worked fine in both camera and mac, however the speed of the card was not fast enough to let me record RAW at 1920.
(As it turns out My SanDisk90mbs card, works fine for RAW record at 1920)

The second card had booting issues.  But I have to stress, the guys at komputerbay are very much into this and are very helpful.  I would recommend them just because they're support has been good.  I'm sure this 3rd card will work-  ???  I hope!

The footage tests I've done look freakin' awesome.  Good thing I'm an after-effects guy!

yann22

Hye Kramer,
I have the same issue with a 128Go 1000x komputerbay card.
I wait for your return about your new card! Hope everything will be OK for you...

Don't you know if there is a possibility to test int on a computer? (mac)
Yannick CHEREL (French)
Wildlife Film-maker
Canon 5D mk2, 5D mk3, 6D, 600D

Kraemer

Hey There Yann,

The 3rd card seems to work fine so far, I thought I posted up the speed report (VMAP.BMP) last night, not sure what happened to it, but will do it again this evening.  The guy at KomputerBay has been super helpful-- even put a lifetime guarantee on the 3rd card he sent me.   I can't do a benchmark test because I only have USB 2.0.  --USB 3.0 or thunderbolt is required to do a benchmark test from the mac...

Levinson

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Kraemer

@ Levinson,  No reason to try photo mode, I only need the speed for the RAW record--- (I think i did try it anyway and yes the speeds report back faster), but I think for comparison sake, use the video 1920x1080 RAW mode...

Levinson

it was just to see how it compares to others who are also tested in that mode. Everyone seems to be testing in different modes and seeing different results. Glad it's working though.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

gyoz

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 05, 2013, 03:23:13 AM
Sometimes, after startup, it drops to 65mb/sec and I have to stop and start until I get full speed.

This is the trick on both my ComputerBay 64gb 1000x. Maybe you need to record,stop and record for 3 or 4 times and then you do not get anymore skipped frames.  ;)

128Gb ComputerBay is too slow... forget it.   ::)

Kraemer

Quote from: gyoz on June 19, 2013, 07:38:28 PM
This is the trick on both my ComputerBay 64gb 1000x. Maybe you need to record,stop and record for 3 or 4 times and then you do not get anymore skipped frames.  ;)

128Gb ComputerBay is too slow... forget it.   ::)

I've had this experience too.  The first couple takes, camera/card combo skips/stops.  After the 2nd or 3rd record, the skipping stops. :P

yann22

Hye
Thanks for awnser,
I've just receive a 64Go 1000x komputerbay CF card, I try the RAW rec, no problem with normal recording, but when I use the 5X zoom... a lot of skipping frames...

Kraemer, do you think it can be a good ideau to ask directly to komputerbay to change it with one they can test to be sur it is fast enough??
Yannick CHEREL (French)
Wildlife Film-maker
Canon 5D mk2, 5D mk3, 6D, 600D