Silent pictures raw full camera resolution

Started by Greg, June 06, 2013, 11:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Can we do silent pictures raw full camera resolution?
If this is not possible, then we can move the focus box to 5x crop mode and converter creates full resolution dng.

a1ex

You can allocate a large contiguous buffer and fill it with edmac_copy_rectangle while moving the 5x crop window.

Lookup FEATURE_LV_FOCUS_BOX_SNAP_TO_X5_RAW - that math will help you figure out where you are (e.g. what part of sensor is covered at a given time and how much you need to move the box for the next position). If that code is portable (hopefully), this means silent pic matrix can be implemented without hardcoding the offsets for every camera.

Or it's just wishful thinking? :P

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on June 06, 2013, 11:32:06 PM
Or it's just wishful thinking? :P

Let's hope not, while silent dng is great on the crop cameras the resolution is not that terrific, so I still would like to have more resolution for focus stacking of static scenes w/o killing my shutter :-o

a1ex

The good part is that sensor window is larger in raw, so you need less jumps to cover a full picture.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

On 5D3 and also 6D IIRC, you would need only 2 columns and 3 lines to cover the entire frame if my theory is right.

Greg

Quote from: a1ex on June 06, 2013, 11:49:38 PM
The good part is that sensor window is larger in raw, so you need less jumps to cover a full picture.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

On 5D3 and also 6D IIRC, you would need only 2 columns and 3 lines to cover the entire frame if my theory is right.

The 500D need 3 columns and 4 lines.
If one frame will last 1s, 3x4 = 12s
It does not make sense.

Marsu42

Quote from: Greg on June 06, 2013, 11:57:39 PM
The 500D need 3 columns and 4 lines. If one frame will last 1s, 3x4 = 12s It does not make sense.

I don't understand this - what doesn't make sense? The long time? Matrix shots always took ages and were very prone to changed lighting - I already started to implement a detection mode for this to delay/repeat a matrix (piece) if something changed, but with 422 matrix gone this is now obsolete... but I could try to revive it if someone did dng matrix.

a1ex

Another tip: now that we can tell the location of the raw crop frame in the full image, we can minimize those delays (e.g. wait until Canon code changed the window, not a fixed delay). If changing the window takes 200ms (rough estimation based on how long the image freezes when you move the zoom box around), a 3x4 pic would take 2.5 seconds. Not that bad.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 12:00:42 PM
a 3x4 pic would take 2.5 seconds. Not that bad.

Oh my, please implement this :-) as this would fix the main issue with the old 422 implementation, in 2.5sec there is little to go wrong while exposing in contrast to the old "30sec or so" version :-o

Greg

To make better use of time, we can add to this exposure bracketing.

a1ex

Good point, because ISO (and shutter on certain cameras) can be changed every single frame, without delays.

poromaa

Is this implemented anywhere or has anyone experimented with this yet? (bump)

Marsu42

Quote from: poromaa on April 21, 2014, 01:40:47 PM
Is this implemented anywhere or has anyone experimented with this yet? (bump)

Just bumping this won't help, the people who are up to implement full res silent pix are the main devs and those are a) not interested in it too much and/or b) busy doing other coding parts. Alas, I personally really miss the matrix code from the old implementation, just resurrecting this with raw dng would be at least an improvement even if it took a while to take a pic.

poromaa

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 28, 2014, 01:26:28 AM
Alas, I personally really miss the matrix code from the old implementation, just resurrecting this with raw dng would be at least an improvement even if it took a while to take a pic.

Is there anywhere I can see the source for that code? Was it a module or can I just look at an old version of silent pic?

Marsu42

Quote from: poromaa on April 28, 2014, 01:43:48 AM
Is there anywhere I can see the source for that code? Was it a module or can I just look at an old version of silent pic?

It's in the old "stable" v2.3 code before the modules were introduced, but it only worked for directly grabbing 422 and not raw data. You then had to run a python script to assemble the pieces to a frame, and it wasn't full res since the zoom box could not be set to the very edges of the frame or Canon kept resetting it.

Alex had some thoughts on how to solve these problems and speed up the process, but he never came around to implement it - pm him if you want to work on improving the silent module and don't find his ideas.

poromaa