5D3 / Raw Video output

Started by Old50Photo, June 01, 2013, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old50Photo

Hello!

I am new to using ML, and I have encountered some issues that I cannot seem to resolve. I searched the forums all night, and was unable to find any definitive answers to my questions. I apologize if this information is covered previously, though I cannot find it.

Raw Video - After installing ML on my 5D Mark III, I am an unclear now how to actually record raw video. My initial test clips are still exporting as a single .MOV file instead of outputting a raw sequence when I mount the CF card on my mac. The tutorial videos that I've seen show the shots broken down into a raw sequence and then the files are converted to DNG by dragging the first file in the raw sequence to the raw2dng converter. I can't figure out why this is occurring.

I did read the Raw Movie guide, which suggests that additional files must be installed in order to activate raw video. i.e. the rec.mo files. These files are located in the "module" folder as a sub-folder of the main ML folder. Ultimately, the article suggest obtaining the most current files and then using them to overwrite the existing files. However, it is unclear where I can obtain the most recent files that should be present. The information is a bit convoluted for the 5D III.

I noticed that the ML menu is Alpha3 does not contain the "Expo" menu, nor does it have a menu for selecting the resolution for raw shooting or other options for Raw video.

What am I missing here? I would be eternally grateful if anyone would take the time to explain this to me. Many thanks!

RenatoPhoto

What you need to do is read the guide again and again and then follow it.

RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

..and you will not get RAW video unless you do the section (in the above guide)

FINALLY INSTALLATION OF RAW VIDEO

.. and you did not need to open another thread for this type of question.

Also you need to read the Forum Rules in case that you have chosen to ignore them:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Old50Photo

An excerpt from the section of the install guide that address raw video files; (which I read no less than 100 times)

"So the other update is inside MODULES where you will find the following files:

magic.sym
raw_rec.mo
raw_rec.o"

When you download and istall ML from the link under the 5D3 section on magiclantern.fm there is no module folder in the ML directory containing the above files. Where are these files? There is no explanation of this that is evident.

SUMMARY:
1. Obtain new files for: autoexec.bin, magic.sym, raw_rec.mo, raw_rec.o
2. Replace the old files in the card.  That is all!!
3. Usually it is a good idea to delete the MAGIC.CFG file which is in the SETTINGS directory to start saving new configuration settings which may apply to the new (updated) changes.

Obtain new files from where? A link here that breaks down the files by camera model would be very helpful.

SPECIAL CASES:
On the newer cameras there are new files that are uses instead or in addition to the autoexec.bin files.

5D3 If you installed the Alpha 3 + DevKit you will also have this special file which will not need to be updated:
5D3-113-bootflag.fir"

Where is Alpha 3 + DevKit? The only 5D3 specific reference does not include "5D3-113-bootflag.fir." I can only guess if I have the correct autoexec.bin file. The very guide you have referenced contradicts the current links and does not provide any reference of where to get the additional modules, boot file, and autoexec.bin file. 

I did read the forum rules as well before posting, and again just now. I don't see that I have violated any of these rules. My post was not derogatory. It was respectful, and I was polite. I posted no copyrighted or otherwise illegal materials. I have not requested any features in duplicate or otherwise. I have not cross posted this question. My questions are related to Raw Video. I can only assume that your warning relates to my post being "repetitive" suggesting that this information is already clearly addressed elsewhere. I assure you that if this information was clearly available and logically organized then I probably would have found it and avoided the questions. As I stated in my original post, I searched a great deal before posting my questions. I feel they were valid, and I don't feel the warning was appropriate. I certainly have meant no disrespect, and I will not post any further questions here at all, as I can see I'll be crucified for it. If I may offer some constructive criticism, I don't feel that it is helping your cause to scorn your supporters for asking honest questions. My questions wouldn't be necessary if the information was current and better organized. It only makes sense that if you're going to reference these files that are necessary to install in the guide then there should be some reference of where to get them. You're just giving me instructions that lead to a dead end. For what it's worth, the magic lantern firmware seems like a groundbreaking effort, but I don't know that I'll be willing to use the firmware any further after how disappointing this experience has been. Best wishes.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Old50Photo on June 02, 2013, 07:06:40 AM
Where is Alpha 3 + DevKit? The only 5D3 specific reference does not include "5D3-113-bootflag.fir." I can only guess if I have the correct autoexec.bin file. The very guide you have referenced contradicts the current links and does not provide any reference of where to get the additional modules, boot file, and autoexec.bin file. 

This is found on the first post near the bottom where it clearly stated in RED for Developer only.

Download ML for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

I can see that you missed it and I will change the guide to make it more clear.
------------------

If you are looking for the latest compiles (also referred as builds) they can be found in the guide in the line that reads:

5D3 -- Newest compiled nightly Builds:
HERE: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5413.0

----------

Hope you can point to what is contradictory in the guide so I can fix it!

-----------

Quote from: Old50Photo on June 02, 2013, 07:06:40 AM
I did read the forum rules as well before posting, and again just now. I don't see that I have violated any of these rules. My post was not derogatory. It was respectful, and I was polite. I posted no copyrighted or otherwise illegal materials. I have not requested any features in duplicate or otherwise. I have not cross posted this question. My questions are related to Raw Video. I can only assume that your warning relates to my post being "repetitive" suggesting that this information is already clearly addressed elsewhere. I assure you that if this information was clearly available and logically organized then I probably would have found it and avoided the questions. As I stated in my original post, I searched a great deal before posting my questions. I feel they were valid, and I don't feel the warning was appropriate. I certainly have meant no disrespect, and I will not post any further questions here at all, as I can see I'll be crucified for it. If I may offer some constructive criticism, I don't feel that it is helping your cause to scorn your supporters for asking honest questions. My questions wouldn't be necessary if the information was current and better organized. It only makes sense that if you're going to reference these files that are necessary to install in the guide then there should be some reference of where to get them. You're just giving me instructions that lead to a dead end. For what it's worth, the magic lantern firmware seems like a groundbreaking effort, but I don't know that I'll be willing to use the firmware any further after how disappointing this experience has been. Best wishes.

Thanks for your comments.  A warning is not meat to crucify you, is is just simply a warning!  The wording is a bit tough but we are trying to get people to do the leg-work much like you have done.  We would like to spend our time helping with testing (in my case), and doing research in the case of the devs and that is the intention of this warning process.

I probably miss judged you regarding the amount of research that you had done but the issue here and stated in the warning was opening a new thread without searching.  So maybe it should say Opening a New Thread when there are already many threads that talk about this same issue.  Now our boards are getting many first time visitors like you and everybody wants to open a new thread. 

Yes the Forum Rules encourage to open a new thread if you cannot find the topic or if you want to change the topic.  They do not state clearly this issue of Opening New Threads just to ask a question that has been asked many times.

So I feel bad that you feel crucified and hope that you get over this anger and frustration, and that you get RAW video installed in cam and enjoy it greatly like many others.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

deadbeats77

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 02, 2013, 01:16:48 AM
What you need to do is read the guide again and again and then follow it.

RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

..and you will not get RAW video unless you do the section (in the above guide)

FINALLY INSTALLATION OF RAW VIDEO

.. and you did not need to open another thread for this type of question.

Also you need to read the Forum Rules in case that you have chosen to ignore them:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141

Hey Renato - what's with the hostility?  How's any new user of MagicLantern that hasn't yet mastered the Magic gonna want to post on here with replies like yours?  Please try to lighten up so you sound less like the comic book guy from the simpsons.

hirethestache

Quote from: deadbeats77 on June 07, 2013, 09:01:37 PM
Hey Renato - what's with the hostility?  How's any new user of MagicLantern that hasn't yet mastered the Magic gonna want to post on here with replies like yours?  Please try to lighten up so you sound less like the comic book guy from the simpsons.

While I am not taking sides with anyone, I would like to remind EVERYONE that ML is not a brick and mortar company, and there are no employees. It is an open source crowd driven development, where everyone is a customer, and everyone is a customer service representative. There are no rules or regulations aside from the forum rules, and as such users should not expect to be treated here as they would walking into a retail store.
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

deadbeats77

wait, wait.  so we're ALL free to harangue anyone for asking the wrong questions?  sweet! 

Audionut

The information to install Magic Lantern, install needed files for specific cameras, install needed files to enable raw support, and reasonable documentation is available.

If it wasn't, there wouldn't be tons of people currently enjoying raw recording with Magic Lantern.

While I agree that all of the required information is in need of being in a more user friendly state, users need to accept that all these new and wonderful features are currently in a pre-alpha state.  If Magic Lantern was a company based on profits, you wouldn't even have the code to play with.  It would be in closed development stage for who knows how long.

It wasn't long ago that Magic Lantern was run from google groups, and I can assure you that the required information for Magic lantern was much harder to find.  It was also much harder to find before RenatoPhoto created a bunch of useful sticky posts.

Users should also be grateful that they have the ability to run code fresh from the developers brain, as again, it wasn't that long ago that you literally had to compile the code yourself if you wanted to run the freshest stuff.  These days we have plenty of users providing these fresh builds (and the nightly build system) for other users to run.

Having these builds readily available, does not defer the responsibility of users to find information for themselves.  The builds are provided primarily for the improvement of the development process.  They are not provided under a clause that you can bitch and moan about not being able to read and/or understand the information available.

Users are more then welcome to assist in making documentation more readily available and user friendly.  Users are not welcome to mock moderators in the performance of their tasks!

Magic Lantern does not grant you a right to customer service!

Respect the wishes of a moderator.  Respect that they deal with users who suffer the same problems on a daily basis.  Respect that the information they provide will help you solve your problem.

Old50Photo and deadbeats77, take this as a first and final warning to watch your tone in the future.