Custom tags in xmp sidecards for image review?

Started by Marsu42, June 06, 2013, 05:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

The ability of ml to generate xml files is great, and I wonder: I usually pre-review and rate image in-camera thanks to the quick lv button shortcut. Would it be possible to add other tags to the xmp file like (custom) keywords that are then read into lightroom? If this is possible it would be a great timesaver because if I could pre-sort the images next to the very basic rating like now, for example decide which shots are good but slightly out of focus so they're only ok for web size.

a1ex

What kind of keywords?

(I don't use Lightroom, do you know any open source app that uses these files?)

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on June 06, 2013, 05:47:22 PM
What kind of keywords?

Well, the rating is just one dimension which I usually use as the tech quality of the image, not the content. When reviewing in-camera I usually would like to add lots of other information for later sorting, a "B" rating for artistic value and the content (example: bride, groom, parents, ...). Being able to do this immediately or on the way home in-camera would be a great timesaver for later sorting and postprocessing.

My rough idea: When browsing images in-camera the four directional buttons are not used if the image is zoomed at 100%. On a press of left/right/up/down ml would read a user file from the card with a list of tags that are cycled by these buttons, like for example on a up press it cycles through "bride, groom, couple, parents, guests, (none)" or maybe "landscape, macro, wildlife, (none)".  If the user file doesn't exist simply fall back to four default tags TAG1/2/... but even a much more basic solution would be helpful if I'd not be stuck to the one way to mark files which currently is rating.

Quote from: a1ex on June 06, 2013, 05:47:22 PM
(I don't use Lightroom, do you know any open source app that uses these files?)

Hmmm, I only use LR :-) and I thus I know the xml sidecar files from Adobe Camera Raw. You can certainly read/write keywords with oss exiftool, I don't know about Aperture, Capture One or DxO applications, but all the latter are closed source. I could give manage to give a example xml file with some keywords though (though I usually use dng with embedded xml).

kkx

I second this feature request.

For my use case, I would love to be able to tag photo during review to add Lens id, FL, and Aperture value or any other note that I can pre-programe.

I use manual focus lenses and these lens do not allow correct exif to be stored.

If I can quickly add a few tags to indicate the lens, FL and aperture value to the xml and then I can write a tools offline to read from the xml and write to the exif.

This will be great for MF lens user.

Furthermore, If I use special filter, I can use this to annotate these info to the xml. For example, If I have a ND filter on the lens, after taking a photo, I can add a tag to indicate that I have the ND filter on the lens for this photo.

For variable ND filter, I can even add the setting (1 stop, 2 stop and so on) as a tag, so that I know what setting was used.

Generally, this tagging feature can be very useful to take important notes. We use to do this using paper note pad.

For more flexibility, we can record a short audio (5s ?) and add this to the xml. This will be the ultimate flexible photo annotation.

I can run speech recognition on the audio clip and recover the spoken info and potentially add it to exif (or back to xml as text, so other tools can fetch it).

-kk

Audionut

Quote from: kkx on June 12, 2013, 01:28:59 AM
If I can quickly add a few tags to indicate the lens, FL and aperture value to the xml and then I can write a tools offline to read from the xml and write to the exif.

All of this information is already in the exif data.

A module would probably be the best idea for editing XML files.  In fact, a module like this with the ability to update the time automatically, on all XML files, would take care of the existing issue with Adobe software not reading some XML files.

What about making post deflicker as module?  And expanding from there?

kkx

Quote from: Audionut on June 12, 2013, 01:51:31 AM
All of this information is already in the exif data.

If you are using manual focus leses (mainly legacy lenses) that do not have electronic to communicate with the camera, you will not have FL, F-number in the exif. The respective fields will be "blank".

-kk

Audionut

Quote from: kkx on June 12, 2013, 06:26:22 PM
If you are using manual focus leses

Ah, thanks.  I should have read your OP in it's entirety ;)