Custom Mode 5D3 more buffer?

Started by AnotherDave, June 06, 2013, 03:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 06, 2013, 09:29:02 PM
Of course, if you have RAW video enabled, i.e. you can record raw...
go to live view, press the zoom button, press the trash button, enter the Raw video menu, scroll through the sizes...

How to record: -- RAW Digital Cropped Video on 5D3 --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0
No, I think you misunderstood me. I know how to get the crop recording, but even when I'm set up to record crop, it doesn't allow me the option to select the 2048. I'll continue playing around with it.

daimon

WOW!!! I just remove the JPG after reading the first few posts and I left it only on RAW for Photo and now i have full 1920x1080 25fps no skipping frames  :)

Shield

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 06, 2013, 03:56:46 PM
So I've seen a couple of small posts about this, and so I tried it out...

When you're in custom mode (C1,C2,C3 on the main dial) you get twice the number of buffer stars (**** instead of **), and I don't get any dropped frames on my 5D3 with my KomputerBay 64gb 1000x!

Why is this? What's up with this?  Any of the developers know?

Seems pretty great so far...

Why would I want twice the number of buffer stars?  When it gets to ***** it stops/skips frames.  I want just one * while I'm recording, not twice an many.  I'm confused.

Audionut

They want more buffer stars because it represents more buffers to use while recording.

They don't mean the stars lighting up while recording that indicates buffer usage.

To be clear, they actually mean whatever character symbol it is that indicates an empty buffer.

Shield

Audionut, I've always had 4 or 5 stars - you mean some people only have/had 2?

Audionut

Shield

Quote from: Audionut on June 07, 2013, 08:22:46 PM
It varies by camera.

But he was talking about the 5d3.  I am stunned that a 5d3 owner would be shooting jpgs I guess.  Maybe he was shooting Raw + JPG?

AnotherDave

It was on multi-burst mode.

Also, I don't think I've ever used it for still photos... only video.  :-/

Moreover, some situations (like anything involving family) are absolutely fine for jpeg photos. 

Shield

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 07, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
It was on multi-burst mode.

Also, I don't think I've ever used it for still photos... only video.  :-/

Moreover, some situations (like anything involving family) are absolutely fine for jpeg photos.

Anything involving family?  I always shoot raw for everything.  I can see for quick snaps, but that's not why you bought a 5d3 is it?  Grab your point and shoot for jpgs.  I always shoot my family in raw.  But to each their own.

Audionut

Quote from: Shield on June 07, 2013, 08:26:42 PM
But he was talking about the 5d3.  I am stunned that a 5d3 owner would be shooting jpgs I guess.  Maybe he was shooting Raw + JPG?

Yeah, it also changes based on how many free buffers there are.

I personally shoot Raw myself also.  But I've seen plenty of valid reasons why someone would use JPG.
One is journalism, where you want to get your photo, to the press, as quickly as possible.

However, lets not turn this into a JPG vs Raw thread please.  Feel free to start another thread in general chat.

AnotherDave

Seriously.  give it a rest.  my camera wasn't set to record jpgs as I have said over and over again, it was set in multi burst mode.

Who cares about jpeg vs raw?  i care about h.264 vs raw.

Audionut

Quote from: Audionut on June 08, 2013, 02:02:22 AM
However, lets not turn this into a JPG vs Raw thread please.  Feel free to start another thread in general chat.

eyeland

Anyone mind doing a summary of this thread? I have been following the forum for a long time (daily since the beginning og raw video) and still, reading this thread threw me off.
I'd appreciate it if someone would do a simple "DO/DO NOT" write-up of all these little tips and tricks.

To get started, am I right in assuming the following settings for optimizing raw video on 5d3:

All settings pertaining to NR = OFF
Save foto as = RAW
Drive mode = SINGLE
HDR&Multiple exp = OFF
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...