Current raw video capabilities - All ML cameras

Started by Roman, June 06, 2013, 08:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnite

650d can record 1280x640 without any problem. (sony sdhc write speed 45mb/s)

bradybunch987

How did you get the camera to record that low of resolution?

Macielle

ted ramasola

Quote from: Macielle on June 26, 2013, 10:35:18 AM
is this chart updated?

In the First post, the chart that opens in the link is updated. The image of a chart shown is NOT.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Audionut

Why is the 6D marked as only having good low light ability?  Is this something funky that's going on with video mode?

DXO says it has some of the best low light capability of any Canon camera (in raw photo mode).

a1ex

6D has line skipping, 5D3 doesn't seem to have. Line skipping affects noise too, not just moire. Some samples will help, if anybody has these two cameras and can do a comparison.

Audionut

I'll fix up the samples for the 5D3 and post them in the other thread.  Won't be until tomorrow though.

ted ramasola

audionut or Roman,

Could you edit the still image of the spreadsheet in the 1st post and make it a link instead that will redirect to the editable spreadsheet?

I think many will click on the chart and think its is current and up to date.

If thats not possible perhaps edit that image with a watermark across stating,"NOT UPDATED/CLICK ON LINK TO GO TO UPDATED CHART" or something like it.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

updated chart to show max continuous recording for 5D2 at 30P.

With jun 27 "small hacks" max res continuous is at 1600 x 900.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dreamARTz

I'm planning to buy SANDISK SDHC 32GB EXTREME (writing/reading speed 45mb/s) for my 650D for filming RAW. Does it worth to, or there are some better (mb cheaper with lower speed) options for 650D?  :-\
Canon EOS 650D 18-55mm kit + canon usm 55-200mm + canon 50mm 1.4

Can

I wouldn't go cheaper. The Sandisk Extreme seems to be optimal.

Walter Schulz

720p24 with SanDisk Extreme 45 MByte/s: Longer recordings do have dropped frames.
No such problem with SanDisk 95 MByte/s.

Ciao, Walter

Can

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 01, 2013, 03:09:45 PM
720p24 with SanDisk Extreme 45 MByte/s: Longer recordings do have dropped frames.

Ciao, Walter

Good point - if you can afford it, the Pro does have some advantages. I have noticed some slightly longer recording times with the Pro also.

1%

Quote6D has line skipping,

In zoom mode the image is shorter than in regular mode and only like 2 or 3k wide.. Maybe there is a limit on how much they could sample with this camera. Sucks there is no crop mode like 650D/EOSM.

The sensor itself I think edges out 5DIII on low light.

dreamARTz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 01, 2013, 03:09:45 PM

Ciao, Walter
Thanks for the info sir! 95mb/s SanDisk Extreme seems expensive  :-[ BTW approximately how much  can I achieve with 45 mb/s?
Canon EOS 650D 18-55mm kit + canon usm 55-200mm + canon 50mm 1.4

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dreamARTz on July 01, 2013, 06:48:27 PMBTW approximately how much  can I achieve with 45 mb/s?

I just did a single test with 1280x640 and 24 fps. It terminated after about 2 minutes. Don't know how predictable a buffer overflow is. Don't know if the developers will find a way to push the write speed limit again. There is a gap between the numbers "plain" photo benchmark is giving and the numbers needed for dropless video.

Ciao, Walter

spider

What does "Max resolution in crop mode [2]" in column exactly mean?
I press the zoom button so I get 5x magnification in LV and look which resolution I can now set?

I want to fill in some more information about 650D tomorrow.

kgv5

I would like to ask 5D3 owners:

could you please make a comparison video 1920x800 vs 1800x.... vs 1700x.... vs 1600x... (more or less) I think many 6D ( and maybe 5D2) owners would be interested how far away those lower resolution are in comparison to full 1920x800 in terms of sharpness and details. Please make it in 1x mode and with the same framing - I mean when picture is cropped increase a distance a little bit.
Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

kgv5

I have made such a comparison, 5D3 footage from neumannfilms website.

1920x800 vs 1808x756 crop vs 1728x724 crop.

Unfortunatelly framing is not accurate because lower resolutions are just upscaled crops from 1920x800.  YT compression sucks, thats why additionally I added dropbox link for direct download if you would like to see this better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-7UspVUb8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvewws2bsal63gc/resolution%20comparison%20HQ.mp4

The difference is visible but not as much as I expected (I didn't use any special upscale app, just simply changed the scale in AE).

If 2,39:1 aspect ratio is good for your needs and 16-22 seconds are enough - 6D raw quality would be very similar to 5D2 and 5D3.

EDIT: today i tried upscaling with InstantHD - the result is astonishing!
When i was making an normal resize in AE by say 106,2% the footage becames a little softer, still very good but softer. With InstantHD is as crisp as original - the only difference is in framing. I am really amazed!!
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

akumiszcza

a1ex

spider

Quote from: spider on July 03, 2013, 11:58:21 PM
I want to fill in some more information about 650D tomorrow.
Ok not tomorrow, but now I filled some more data in and gave the 650D an own line, because I can't confirm the data for the other.

Rush

SUGGESTION FOR COMPARISON CHART:
It is not correct to put EOS M to "bad", and 650D/700D/100D to "not bad" - they are equal in terms of RAW video capabilities.
Difference is only in VAF availability.
Greetings from Russia!

zutramar

Hi.
Been reading through the forums.
I'd like to change my 7D to a Canon with Raw capability through ML.
One thing I'm not 100% clear on, monitoring.
Is it right that live view does still work whilst recording video but you can't play it back on the camera or on a computer until you've converted the footage to a usable format?
If this is so, is there any likelihood it's something that could be changed in future MagicLantern builds/is it something that's being worked on? Have I already missed it? Am I being dumb?
All help much appreciated with this.
thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: zutramar on August 02, 2013, 12:00:41 AM
Hi.
Been reading through the forums.
I'd like to change my 7D to a Canon with Raw capability through ML.
One thing I'm not 100% clear on, monitoring.
Is it right that live view does still work whilst recording video but you can't play it back on the camera or on a computer until you've converted the footage to a usable format?
If this is so, is there any likelihood it's something that could be changed in future MagicLantern builds/is it something that's being worked on? Have I already missed it? Am I being dumb?
All help much appreciated with this.
thanks
go here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.950
this is the link  for raw 7D
Starts at about page 36 i think  :)