Raw for the 7d

Started by Vespertine, June 06, 2013, 06:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vespertine

Hey just curious....since the 7d has the fast CF slot, it will eventually be able to shoot raw too right? (once the ML build for it becomes stable of course ) or do I need to buy a used 5dMK II with the money im getting back from B&H for my 6d I just bought

fauxtographer

6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

Vespertine

erm.....daft?  don't really recognize that word sorry

Vespertine

I was horrified on 3 counts with the 6d....first off its a horrible aliasing monster that produced ( for me ) 8-bit looking jaggies on every angled line it shot I mean this thing gave me flashbacks to the Atari 2600 graphics days.....no shit lol......also the moire was completely un-acceptable. and the deal breaker was that it didn't have a CF slot and hence would be limited to lower grade raw recording....so if daft menas smart, yes I guess I was daft....why would anyone intending to shoot raw as highly as possible ,stay with a SD card camera once he found out the data rate was shit....??

fauxtographer

;D

Whatever floats your boat, Dude.

{Grabs 6D and actually shoots something}
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

Vespertine

kgv5

Quote from: Vespertine on June 06, 2013, 06:18:23 AM
why would anyone intending to shoot raw as highly as possible ,stay with a SD card camera once he found out the data rate was shit....??

For excellent low light capabilities? For cost which is significantly lower than 5D3?
BTW You can always buy VAF-6D filter for ~350$ wich will solve your atari graphics, still would be couple houndreds bucks cheaper than 5D3 with fullHD RAW capable CF card.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Vespertine

Quote from: kgv5 on June 06, 2013, 06:46:55 AM
For excellent low light capabilities? For cost which is significantly lower than 5D3?
BTW You can always buy VAF-6D filter for ~350$ wich will solve your atari graphics, still would be couple houndreds bucks cheaper than 5D3 with fullHD RAW capable CF card.

yes I saw that, I also grabbed stills from the VAF-6D comparison videos and looked at them closely, it blurs the bricks so bad that theres little definition left...and nothing can solve the sd card interface bottleneck.

the low light WAS indeed good, but the thing was aliasing on grass....water...sand, anything with a line. I was totally disappointed..my 60d that I had before that never did any of that that I could see.
so im hoping that since the 7d has the same sensor as my 60d which gave me no problems and a CF slot,( I bought the 128 gig 1000x Lexar)  that it will be able to do the higher res raws like every other canon with a cf slot ( well excluding the 50d 40d cause they are older) but.....yeah i didnt mean for this thread to turn into/ be about " why would you return your 6d ect ect ect" i simply am trying to find out the forcast on RAW for the 7D, so if anyone knows that information it would be greatly appreciated =)

Roman

Wouldnt hold your breath for a 7D port at this stage...

As per usual the dual processors are the thorn in it's side when it comes to trying to make anything work with ML.

I think I remember reading in one of the threads that ML can be loaded onto one processor, but the raw stuff gets loaded onto the other, and the transfer speed between the two isnt good enough for a reasonable raw output.

(or along those lines)

It's a real pity the 60D has an SD card slot, it would be awesome if it could get CF speeds.

50D is alright but I really wish it had a flip out screen, and a nicer LCD resolution and a few other things I've become accustomed to with the 600D.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Vespertine

so it seems like what ill have to do then is take the money i get back from the 6d and buy a used 5dmk2...well..at least ill be able to shoot raw! woot!

is this the definative answer from the devs about the 7d then?  its just not gonna happen? i need to be sure

also will the 50d be able to make the same resolution raws as the mk3?

Roman

If you're concerned with aliasing then maybe give the 5D2 a test run before committing to buying one.

The available resolutions for the 50D in 16:9 aspect ratio are:

640x480     - 9.2mb/s
720x406     - 11.6mb/s
960x540     - 20.7mb/s
1280x720   - 36.9mb/s
1329x742   - 39.2mb/s
1440x810   - 46.7mb/s
1592x896   - 57.1mb/s   (max res unless using 5x zoom)
1600x900   - 57.6mb/s   (5x zoom only)
1720x960   - 66.0mb/s   (5x zoom only)
1880x1056 - 79.5mb/s   (5x zoom only)
1920x1056 - 81.2mb/s   (5x zoom only)
1992x1056 - 84.2mb/s   (max res for 5x zoom mode)

So it doesnt go as high as the 5D3, and doesnt have options like 60fps or whatever.

However given that it's 1/5th of the price or less, it depends on what that extra res, lack of aliasing etc is worth to you.

In saying all of this, it's still early days.
Unless you've got a burning desire to film in raw ASAP, it'd be wise to wait a little before committing $$$$$$ either way.

If money isnt much an issue, there's no disputing the 5D3 is king.

If you want to take a punt, then there's not much to lose with buying a 50D, even if as soon as you buy it the value drops in half, you've still lost less than the 'not brand new in the box anymore' depreciation of a new 5D3.

Vespertine

well for me its really going to come down now to the 5dmk2 or the 50d  so i need to know between those 2 what is the better choice? which one will result in being able to get the higher resolution continuous RAW recording? from all the reading ive been doing it SEEMS that the better choice between those 2 would be the 5dmk2 but what is your opinion on that? i have already purchased the new lexar 1000x CF card as well.

Thanks Devs for all your hard work on this!, its appreciated by me, and everyone else on here as well =)

Vespertine

wow, if I can get THIS------> https://vimeo.com/66414746

from the 5dmk2, then I think for sure that's the way to go, that footage looks AMAZING