white balance and exposure

Started by ilia, June 05, 2013, 03:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia

since the raw video is not influenced by in camera settings, should we try to make the picture profile and white balance emulate the raw file to help exposure?  Using a 6050k white balance and a high contrasty PP?  Also, the white balance I always get when importing to Lightroom is 6050k with 77 tint, where as some other people have been getting 6200k at 66 tint. I'm on the May31st build.

Audionut

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg46374#msg46374

Quote from: ilia on June 05, 2013, 03:39:15 PM
Also, the white balance I always get when importing to Lightroom is 6050k with 77 tint, where as some other people have been getting 6200k at 66 tint. I'm on the May31st build.

Doesn't matter.  Wrong is wrong.

Caleb_camera

I am having a similar problem on my 5D3. I dont know what PP to use to emulate raw footage as close as possible. I was using cinestyle and everything I shot in raw was underexposed.

platu

Quote from: Caleb_camera on June 05, 2013, 06:51:48 PM
I am having a similar problem on my 5D3. I dont know what PP to use to emulate raw footage as close as possible. I was using cinestyle and everything I shot in raw was underexposed.

I think you might have better results by using the ML exposure tools for obtaining proper exposure.  Raw histogram, and/or the new raw zebras.  They are very accurate.  I would choose a picture profile that assists in obtaining focus, especially if you can't utilize focus peaking because you need to turn off global draw in order to sustain continuous raw recording.  Landscape with sharpness all the way up is a lot easier to focus with than cinestyle or neutral prolost for example.

squig

Quote from: Caleb_camera on June 05, 2013, 06:51:48 PM

;D Cinestyle is the hardest profile to shoot with, I can't think of why you'd want to shoot with it recording raw. Try the standard profile, so far it's been working fine for me.

Audionut

For anyone interested, I've made my own picture style a while ago.

I think it's this one.  It should report as "color corrected".

I made it from an x-rite color checker shot under midday sun.  It should represent Raw footage reasonably well.  I don't pixel peep my LCD screen and rely on the histogram more ;)

It should default to everything 0 with saturation at -3.  I recommend increasing sharpness to maximum when shooting Raw, and I tend to leave saturation at 0 now, as it looks better for clients.

If there's enough interest, I can spend some more time making another one that I should be able to get even more accurate.