5D Mark II w/ Magic Lantern and external monitor

Started by Legion6789, June 05, 2013, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legion6789

Is it possible to see magic lantern overlays on an external monitor like the SmallHD AC7 with the 5D Mark II? Can I see things like zebra striping, focus peaking, etc?

vk4tnt

Yes, you can see what you see on the normal screen on the external monitor provided you use a HDMI cable and your monitor has at least a DVI connector. HDMI to DVI adapters are available cheaply on e-bay.

ted ramasola

you can see the ML overlays on an external hdmi monitor. BUT be wary if you shoot raw video since the crop marks for raw video is still buggy for current releases and is not properly displayed.
If you will be recording raw video and using external monitor, you will want to turn off the preview framing guides and probably just mark your framing on the monitor with tape or acetate etc.

Also, when recording raw video, do not preview your footage or play it back with hdmi attached as it will freeze your camera and you will have to remove the battery to unfreeze it.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

kukysimon

Hi,... i was wondering if you can add your problem to this link, it seems there are dozens and dozens of people who started threads and topics about issues with external monitors , but these are all over the place and consequently no one thinks its an issue since they show up only one at a time in this very big haystack of threads. i started a thread at the developpers page addressing it to alex, in the hopes he can make this more priority, there is a vote and a follow option, if you wouldn't mind adding yours there as well, may be alex can then see how many people really do work with external monitors and have a hard time not seeing crop marks the right way and other issues:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1582/crop-bars-for-external-smallhd-oled-7-7

i would really appreciate your effort, may be we can all get together on those many issues with external monitors..

BR
Kuky